“Great location, coherent art deco theme, comfortable hotel”

Carlton Hotel, Autograph Collection
Ranked #365 of 467 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
The Hague, The Netherlands
“Great location, coherent art deco theme, comfortable hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2013

This is a great hotel for business travel if you have to be in the Flatiron district. Positives: 1. Great bed, very comfy; 2. Two bathrobes; 3. Nice amenities: Molton Brown, wonderful stuff; 4. Excellent gym with two treadmills with personal tv; 5. Free coffee and tea in the business center which I grab in the morning; 6. Nice staff; 7. Big desk with good lights and wifi (chair could be a bit higher!).
Overall, positive experience.

Room Tip: The room that I stayed in (9.38) suffered from the airco system outside the building, but it is a co...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (380)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
ny
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2013

overall great place.

start w/ the good..
-lobby is spacious and clean
-restaurant was nice, open air, great service, typical what you would expect to pay for eating on site
-if u called down for anything, they brought it up within minutes
-nearby plenty of other places to eat, visit, etc

on the bad..
-when we arrived the bellman by the door just watched us as we stumbled out of the cab, didn't offer to help with luggage til we were by the front door
-main light didn't work in the room, and another couple fixtures were loose
-prior reviews about loud noise from the street couldn't have been more true, wow was it bad at times, mainly from the club located directly across the street

would absolutely rec if looking for a nice place in the neighborhood, perhaps try and get a room that doesn't face the club.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
vfreeman1, General Manager at Carlton Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
Thank you for staying with us and for writing this review… We appreciate your positive comments and certainly recognize there is always areas that require improvement. We have taken your comments on board and have made steps towards remedying the challenges.
Middletown, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2013

The Carlton delivered. My husband and I stayed here for one night while spending a weekend in the city and the hotel is lovely. The lobby is gorgeous and the bar is a nice spot to grab a few drinks. Our room was very nice. The hotel is a bit older and has various updates which gives it great character. The location is great and is within walking distance to excellent restaurants. The real selling point is the lovely staff of this hotel. Everyone bent over backwards to ensure that we were comfortable and had everything we needed. From valet service to assisting with directions, the staff was absolutely superb. Would definitely return to the Carlton!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Whitney A –
Am so glad your weekend away with husband was successful at the Carlton. We certainly aim to please. Come back again soon!
Trenton, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2013

I am a Marriott Elite member and this was my first time staying at the Carlton Hotel, I was here for two days during the 2013 MLK weekend. I have been to NYC numerous times but never stayed in the city. I always stated outside of NYC and took the bus into and outside of the city because the rooms were so expensive. I was able to get a great rate when I made my reservation online and the hotel upgraded my room reservation, another added bonus. This hotel is wonderful and clean, the staff is extremely professional and the hotel cleaning staff is outstanding. The hotel restaurant is beautiful and the Saturday night DJ did an outstanding job playing music and kept the party going strong all night. I was extremely surprise when I returned to my room Saturday night, the hotel had delivered a complimentary bottle wine to my room. The hotel is in a great and safe location and it is a short walk to Times Square and Broadway. The rooms are huge and mine had a big beautiful bay window which was extra nice. The furniture in the room is beautiful and the bed was amazing and comfortable. The hotel had complimentary wi-fi and not once did I have an issue with the network speed or connecting to the network. The is an amazing hotel and I have now found my hidden gem of hotels in New York City. I will definitely be staying here whenever I come to New York City. I love the hotel so much, I booked a room for February, 2013 President Holiday weekend. To all of the Carlton staff, you are a group of wonderful and professional people and thank you for an AMAZING AND AWESOME STAY AT YOUR HOTEL!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Ms. Rodgers –
What can I say… thank you for such a glowing review. Thanks also for being a valued Elite member. At the Carlton, we endeavor to exceed expectations for all guests and I am delighted to see we did so well in this instance.
Best regards,
Boston, MAssachusetts, USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2013

We came for just one night and can't wait to come back - we have to check out in 4 minutes and are enjoying every last moment. The staff is so pleasant and accommodating. We arrived early, parked our car with the valet and proceeded to check in. The front desk staff suggested we leave our luggage, hit the streets and wait for a great room to become available later in the day. We couldn't have been happier and everything went smoothly. We had a drink at the cozy bar, went to our event just a few blocks away and when we returned our room was ready. We were on the 8th floor with a view of the Empire State Building. I am from NY and never get tired of that beautiful building. The room was clean, spacious and very nicely decorated. The lobby is spectacular - worth a peek even if you're not staying here. You can't beat this location - convenient to everything. You won't be disappointed. Treat yourself to be well-treated.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
LanghanLover,
We are excited about welcoming you again too! … It gives us great pride to read reviews like this. I will be sure to share your feedback with the entire team.
Cheers,
Buffalo, NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2013

This was my first stay at The Carlton, and overall it was very pleasant. I found the staff to be very nice, helpful, and efficient.

The good/great - I was upgraded to a larger room, and was really impressed with the size and appointments. my room had a bath and shower, large living room, and good sized bedroom. All was clean, well appointed, and in order. Room has minibar, but no coffee service. Coffee is available in Business Center. Again, the staff was fantastic. I did not eat in the restaurant other than the Continental Breakfast for Marriott Rewards members. That was pretty standard fare - but fine.

The lobby of this hotel is really quite nice, and actually a cool place to hang out and work, very cool in an understated way. The bar and other areas on the lobby level and mezzanine are well done as well.

The not so much - I always use a hotels gym, and this one while advertised as state of the art - is not, it is actually smaller and less appointed than some lesser hotels i have been in. So that needs some increase in size and equipment, at least some weights higher than 25lbs! the other thing was the hallways, kind of dingy. Painted dark grey with a similar rug color. There is much potential with this space because of all the natural woodwork. Lastly, as expected in NY, lower floors equal a lot of noise in the rooms at night. Seemed like i was haunted by a loose manhole every vehicle seemed to run over.

But i am nitpicking - this is really a great choice, nice location, close to the number 6 train, so easy to get around

Hope it helps..

1 Thank RobBflo1
RobBflo1 –
Thank you for your review , we appreciate your feedback. Your comments about the staff and service are appreciated and will be displayed for all to see. With respect to your other recommendations we will certainly take them to heart. We hope to welcome you again soon.
General Manager.
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2013

Positives: Nice, clean, luxurious and pleasant to stay in. The reservation desk accepted my group discount without hesitation. Almost all staff are smiley and friendly. Located in an area that appears safe and clean even at the wee hours of the morning. On my first night I had a jet leg and went walking at midnight. I notice too many clean cut young persons appeared to enjoy being out and about, solo. For the junk food lovers, Dunkin Doughnuts, Taco Bell McDonalds and Subway are walkable. The hotel is one block from the 28th Str. metro station serving line 6. The restaurant posted a charge in err to my room, Mr. Brown investigated and corrected it with a smile, thank you.

Negatives: My room overlooked 28th street and traffic was loud most of the night. I was awakened too many times with service trucks around 3 AM+. Room service is V. pricey for my expense account. No frills such as complementary local calls or coffee in the room or the lobby. I had to request a coffee maker, but it did not come with the coffee. I had to request coffee packages every time I ran out. Single coffee brewer is provided in the business center, but the taste does not come close to a normal brewed coffee. The cleaning lady never cleaned the coffee machine or the coffee cups in the room. This task must not be on the check list!! Everything has a fee including using the business center. As one on frequent business travel, I concluded the service is not designed with business travelers in mind. It appears to cater to the ostentatious among us, and it delivers. Most mornings I did not have hot water while getting ready for work.

Stair wells are a little dark for those who prefere using the stairs over the elevator.

2 Thank km s