“Close to Times Square”

Ranked #209 of 467 Hotels in New York City
St. John's, Canada
“Close to Times Square”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Nice hotel, very close to Times Square and many theatres. Clean room and spacious (for New York). The air conditioning unit was a little loud but at least it worked. Lots of places nearby to eat. I would stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor
1 Thank RodWhite

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (738)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Manaus, AM
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Belvedere hotel is a classic hotel,located in downtown New York,close to lots of good restaurants,Next to Central Park,Times Square and Broadway.I stayed there for seven days,with my husband and our three daughters,we were completly satisfied with our room,so comfortable and clean.Fast check in and check out.Staff very efficient and kind.Should return back soon.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Toowoomba, Australia
Reviewed August 31, 2013

Back in 2000 we stayed at The Belvedere for 5 days, it is good to see that it is still a great place to stay, back then the staff were very helpful and friendly and not just because we are Australians, unfortunately I have not had the chance to get back to New York for a while but when I do it will be the Belvedere. (I had to click on Sep.2012 because it would not go back any further but the actual year was 2000 when the Olympics were on in Sydney)

Room Tip: We had no problems at all, we were on the 10th floor, I think it was room 101 but it was along time...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Hampshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 30, 2013

The Belvedere Hotel is in a great location if you want to be near Times Square. This was our second stay at the Belverdere and mainly because of its location. It is also close to 50st subway station which is great if you are travelling from JFK.
Our room had two double beds (there was three of us) and a small kitchen area with a fridge and coffee maker.
The hotel decor is a little tired but ok and is very clean and the staff helpful. The free wifi we had was a bonus. We ate breakfast at the hotel which included a good choice of hot and cold options which set us up nicely for a long day shopping and sight seeing in New York. The a/c was noisy when on but at night we were too tired to notice!

1 Thank Simon H
Ghent, Belgium
Reviewed August 26, 2013

My family and I stayed at this hotel for a week and were extremely pleased. The hotel has great and clean rooms with nice beds, good airco, flatscreen tv, safe, fridge and kitchenette, the best location one could wish for (just off Times Square and Broadway, and 9th ave with more than a few really cosy eateries) and the staff really go out of their way to make your stay as comfortable as possible.
My sister is in a wheelchair and needs an adapted room. I had stayed in New York hotels before but wasn't sure my sister would have a comfortable stay in any of them, so I browsed around on the internet and asked our travel agent, and the Belvedere came up several times, so we decided to go for this hotel. I emailed the reservations manager, Ms Dianette Diaz, to inquire about the wheelchair accessible rooms and she assured me they had such rooms available. When we arrived, the first room they showed us was, I'm sure, more than adequate for most wheelchair users who still have limited mobility. But as my sister is competely paralysed from the waiste down and has no power in her legs, she has to rely on her arms to get from her wheelchair into the shower or onto the toilet. This was impossible in this room and when we told reception they immediately sent someone up to find a solution. They came up with an extra shower chair, but it still was difficult, so they showed us an executive room with a roll-in shower, that we got for much less than the actual price. But even in this room, going to the toilet was difficult for my sister. When we told the reception manager, Mr Clayton Dawkins, he and his colleague Elisabeth from the front desk immediately started calling around for a solution. The next day they had an extra handle bar installed in the bathroom, which completely fit my sister's requirements, and all this was done with a smile and never a hint of annoyance. On the contrary, they apologised profusely for not having been able to offer this from day one. This was -literally!- the best service we have ever experienced. If you are or travel with someone in this situation, choose this hotel and ask for room 1103 and you will have an unforgettable stay in New York. And even if you're not in this situation, I can highly recommend the rooms, service and location of the Belvedere. Like I said, I have stayed in several NY hotels before, but from now on I don't think I will choose anything other than the Belvedere - and the same definitely goes for my sister.

3 Thank QuintenB9000
Burlington, Canada
Reviewed August 25, 2013

Hotel was in a great location, clean, staff somewhat pleasant. But here is the kicker..... on Saturday we were gone all day, left at 9 AM. Came home at 10:30PM, exhausted and hungry. We bought some pizza slices on the way back.... we went back to our room and it was obvious that the room had not been cleaned....So I went downstairs to chat with the staff at the desk. The first thing they accused my of was leaving a sign that said do not clean room. I said no I didn't. Then then asked did I asked for the room to be cleaned. I said is that hotel policy that you have to ask? They checked the list for rooms not cleaned ....our room wasn't on the list.... the gentleman said let me get the manager. I said, no worries its not like the manager can do anything at this point.... I asked can I have some glasses and towels brought up to the room. We brought some food back and we just wanted to relax now. We needed glasses for the sodas we brought back to the room and fresh towels for the morning showers. They said we will get someone to bring it up. I said thanks. About 15 minutes later a gentleman arrived with paper plates and plastic spoons and knives. I supposed so we could eat our pizza. There were no glasses or towels in sight.

Let me say the hotel is nice, clean and in a great location. There were no apologies for not cleaning the room. Little or no efforts were made to rectify the situation. I guess at >$300 per night maid service in NYC is not a realistic expectation.......

Room Tip: ask for your room to be cleaned
2 Thank Tickateeboo
MichaelLink, General Manager at The Belvedere, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Dear Tickateeboo,
Thank you for commenting on your stay with us. I’m sorry to hear that your room was not serviced while you were out for the day and for the inappropriate response from the front desk staff. I will be addressing this with the staff so that this doesn’t happen again. I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. We take great pride in our hotel and services and truly hope you will give us another opportunity to show you that what you experienced was the exception.
Nashua, New Hampshire
Reviewed August 21, 2013

First of all the hotel is extremely clean, which is the reason we chose to stay there. The location is wonderful right near Times Square (2 blocks). We brought our own food since there is a microwave and mini fridge which is perfect so it kept the cost down. Our issue was once we got there my husband went to park the car in the garage they contract with and was told they were full and he couldn't park. He returned the car to the hotel and they said they would take care of it for us (free valet for that day). When we left the clerk called to say we were ready and have the valet deliver the car, it took 6 phone calls, the clerk and my husband to walk there and 1 1/2 hours to retrieve our car. This was totally unacceptable, the hotel was very good and waived all parking fees however if we were to catch a plane we would have missed our flight so keep this in mind.

1 Thank LoriR1221