“Excellent Location”
Review of Belvedere Hotel

Belvedere Hotel
Ranked #219 of 470 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed April 18, 2013

The hotel was in a perfect spot - close to restaurants in the Hell's Kitchen area and within a short walking distance of theaters and Times Square.

Hotel staff were helpful and everything was clean. My only complaint was there was not enough counter space in the bathroom nor any shelves in the shower and the elevators could sometimes require a long wait

I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2013
Write a ReviewReviews (5,511)

Reviewed April 17, 2013

The location was really great, just a few blocks from Time Square. I was surprised how quiet the room was as we heard no outside noise. We were on the 16th floor so maybe that was why it was so quiet.The room was clean, and the bed was very comfortable. We had a mini fridge, microwave and coffee maker. The only problem was there were no dishes to go with the kitchenette. I asked at the front desk for two bowls and two spoons so we could have cereal and yogurt for breakfast. The items were sent up to our room in no time. I found the air Conditioner to be too noisy to have on when trying to sleep. There should be more shelves in the bathroom as no room for two people to put items. A few times one of the two elevators was out of service which made for a little wait to get to your room. I would recommend this hotel if you want to be close to everything.

Room Tip: The higher floors would have less street noise.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 16, 2013 via mobile

Ok so the hotel itself is just OK. I stayed in an executive double room as I read reviews that the standard rooms left a lot to be desired. The room itself is quite small which you would expect in NY city but clean and tidy. The air conditioning system is far too noisy to leave on so you have to choose between stuffy with it off and freezing with the window open. Bathroom is tiny, but again clean. the lifts are a joke. They are tiny, slow and there are only two to service the entire building. At peak times expect to wait at least 10 minutes. Location is really good, but that does not make up for the disgusting lack of service provided by the staff at this hotel! No smiles, no hellos. They are very unhelpful and on top of that give you incorrect information. I phoned the desk to get international calling charges and was provided with a reasonable price. After making my call I was then advised that I was charged $91 for it! After speaking to Harris (the poor excuse for a manager working that night) i was advised that it didn't matter if the front desk provided me the wrong information as the phone charges were provided on a card in the room! The information on the card was not clear at all and very hard to understand which was the reason I called downstairs to confirm in the first place!! After arguing with Harris on the phone for about 25 mins and being put on hold consistently - I was offered a breakfast (for the next morning only) complimentary. No apology at all.
The staff here are rude and arrogant. There are far better options in similar locations with similar price. Do yourself a favour and look around for other options!

• Stayed: April 2013
4  Thank Lollee18
MichaelLink, General Manager at Belvedere Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2013

Dear Lollee18,
Thank you for commenting on your recent stay with us. I’m disappointed you were not satisfied with the hotel and services and will be sharing your comments with the staff to emphasize our commitment to guest satisfaction. I am surprised to hear that you felt our guestrooms and bathrooms were small. Our room size is above average compared to other New York City hotels. We have upgraded our heating and air conditioning systems in about 50% of our rooms and will continue until this project is completed. Unfortunately, this is no easy task since the building is 90 years old and was not set up for a central air conditioning system when it was built. We are also in the process of upgrading one of our four elevators in the building. The elevator required a major repair 4 weeks ago and we took this opportunity to make improvements which will enhance the service to our guests. I apologize for any inconvenience or delays this project has caused.
Thanks again for your feedback and I hope you will stay with us again.

Reviewed April 14, 2013

I can't understand why so few hotels in NYC are clean and maintained at this price level. It's a shabby old place (e.g., mismatched colored enamel paint covering chipped areas of the tub) that badly needs a renovation. The air conditioning is supplied by one of those 1960's window units that is noisy and inconsistent. Everything is, of course, extra charge - wireless internet, for example. There were only two elevator cars serving 16 floors...like to wait? Stay here! Carpets were old and soiled...I could go on and on. Yes, the location is good for the Broadway district, but can't say much more for the place. The concierge was pretty nasty too, when I asked a simple question "Where's the stairs" (I preferred to walk up a few floors rather than wait indeterminably for the elevator). Would certainly not stay again until they renovate - for that kind of money.

Room Tip: Just stay away from the elevator shafts!
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 11, 2013

I enjoyed my stay here, mainly due to very good location and the room (Business) was almost perfect - tidy, adequate size, great bed, well-working facilities (especially shower), great views (I had corner room so saw into 2 directions of NYC skyline) only thing missing was proper lighting for doing make-up which is not uncommon though even in better hotels... I didn't take breakfast, so can't comment on that but concierge was friendly and helpful. Reception staff ok. Some waiting for the lifts during busy hours. Would come again!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed April 10, 2013

This hotel is a great hotel, location only 2 blocks away from Times Square. The staff was helpful; the concierge was especially friendly and patient as I asked him multiple questions about what to do in the area. The breakfast buffet was delicious. Really good french toast! My only complaint would be that there are only 2 elevators and they are not very fast so it takes a while to get to your room and back. But other than that it was a great stay!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 10, 2013

We have just returned from 5 days at The Belvedere and had a lovely time. The hotel was clean and our room was lovely. We did have an executive room but I would say that this was a little small for 2 adults and 2 children- especially the bathroom.
Staff were very helpful - special recommendations to Peter the Bellman who was really lovely with our children! Check in was quick and efficient and the concierge was always ready with useful advice. We ate breakfast most mornings and it was $65 dollars for a family of 4 for full American breakfast. While this was probably to the cheapest around it was good quality and kept us going till mid afternoon.
Our only complaint was the lifts in the hotel. They were slow, sometimes not working and just not efficient enough for a hotel of this size.
Also the hotel was very hot! We often had the windows open and maybe could have done with some air conditioning in rooms.
Good location for us. A 5 minute walk to Times Square and to 50th Street subway. It was also quiet enough for us with the children. There was a nice grocers on the corner and subway shop too.
Overall this was a perfect hotel for our stay.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family