“Dreamy boutique hotel with character!”
Review of Belvedere Hotel

Belvedere Hotel
Ranked #217 of 470 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed February 3, 2013

We are 2 adults ages 44&55 from Nj--having a get away.

Where to begin. Doorman attentive, bellman always in lobby. You are able to get a taxi easily. I walked from the bus terminal on 42, 6 short blocks north, take a left and its half way down the street. Check-in was easy. Staff i encountered SUPER polite, knowledgable and friendly. I arrived at 1:30 and my room was not ready and Margaret took my cell phone and called me at lunch when it was. How great is that?!

Lobby is gorgeous. Built in 1928 (please look at the outside of this building-dont make em like this anymore) all art deco, reminds me of the Empire state Building. Two old elevators SO DEAL PEOPLE. They are smaller due to the time it was built and they run slower, so take time to check out the architecture and the cool mail slot that runs between them. There is private guest only bathrooms in lobby, a small business center, cafe and access to the Brazilian Steakhouse.

Room---DARLING. This is NY folks. Older hotels are NOT BIG. Just like in Rome and Paris etc. A floor to ceiling marble tile entrance with the kitchenette (micro/coffee station/mini fridge) and pretty large closet with a robe/iron board/iron/blow dryer and safe.
Bathroom with full sleek tub. Huge wall mirrors and a standing sink, so not tons of spacr for toiletries. towels for two. Do be careful that the floors are slick due to the marble here, so older folks take care. Then you enter the bedroom area which is just so relaxing. Lots of molding, great paint and paper, lovely quality bedding and a bed to die for. Tv, nightstands that expand. A desk and chair. Plenty of space for clothes. Our particular view was breathtaking. See my pics.
Lots of information in the room about NY etc. There is room service for lunch and dinner til late and the prices were so reasonable for roomservice i was shocked, Breakfast is a buffet in cafe or you can take it out but you have to go down to get it i believe.

Buffet. Is $20 per person and we loved it. Normal choices and we got drinks to go. There is a place right next door that does a breakfast for $10 if this is too steap or you are small eaters.

Noise. We heard nothing from the outside and we were on the 15th floor. We diid hear our neighbors very easiliy however. Oh well, older buildings dont have the same insulation as new. Do be sure to PULL YOUR ROOM DOOR shut. New hotels have those heavy spring action jobs, these doors cant be the originals but they are not the new heavy ones and i came back from getting a soda and my door was ajar.

Would i stay here again-- YOU BET! It is 2 blocks from times square and all the theaters. 6 blocks from the bus stop, 5 blocks from central park i mean come on...you can walk anyplace from here even The Met--bring good shoes ladies and carry heals. Out of towners remember NYC is colder than anyplace else due to the wind channels and lack of sun from the shadows so bring or buy hats/scarves/gloves and wraps

I also MUST comment on a few other posts....This is NYC. It is expensive. When a bellman stores your bags or carries them to your room or to a taxi a tip is part of the deal. Thats how they survive. When you eat at the buffet, even when its included in your room deal leave a tip! We saw every single table around us eat and leave...i was sick. The few more bucks isnt gonna break you- if you can aford a trip to NYC please budget for all these services. There are current wesites that display going tip rates for all services. Please non-US folks especially take this advice. These folks dont make a salary and then tips/sometimes only tips. OK got that off my chest-lol

I do agree the room was weirdly warm, but the thermostate was right there and THE WINDOWS OPEN which i think is the coolest thing. How often do you get that?

Room Tip: Ask for a room over the 6th floor if you can for a super view you'll die for.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank dawn5851
Write a ReviewReviews (5,506)

Reviewed January 31, 2013

This hotel is in a great location in Manhattan! The beds were very comfortable and the W/C facilities nice. It was an average overall room given the price paid, and the hotel only offered a breakfast buffet. We enjoyed the stay, but there was nothing about the property that stood out other than the location. Not a bad option, just know what you're getting in advance.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 30, 2013

Enjoyed the hotel itself very much. The location was extremely convenient to Times Square and the location of the convention we were attending. The hotel room was lovely and well maintained (well the bathroom could have used a little more attention to detail, but nothing that I'd complain about). My interactions with the staff while I were there were cordial. We had a brief problem with our heat and the maintenance staff who came up were extremely pleasant.

My one real complaint was an experience that happened prior to arriving. I had a personal emergency and had to push back my arrival date. I called up just to make sure that showing up a day late wouldn't be a problem and was very quickly and coldly informed that because I had purchased my booking through Hotels.com I could not push back my reservation and would not be able get a refund for the day I wouldn't be arriving.

I was confused because I hadn't asked for a refund at all. Nor was I calling in with an attitude, so I wasn't clear where the aggression was coming from. I tried to explain that I simply wanted to make sure I could arrive a day late & still have a room to sleep in. I was told that I could, but to call in that day & check in over the phone but I would STILL HAVE TO PAY FOR THE DAY (emphasis theirs). I assured them that it was fine and I understood and hung up.

That day I was unfortunately unable to call until extremely late (after midnight). I called knowing it was too late to check in for that day but I, again wanted to confirm that this wouldn't cause any problems checking in the next day. I reached someone else (a woman this time) who also answered me coldly and rudely and who also wanted to make sure it was crystal clear that I knew I wasn't getting a refund for my missing day. I assured her I didn't care, I was just trying to make sure I still got my reservation, would have a bed to sleep in, and wouldn't have to make a second reservation. She said it was fine, but I had to be IN PERSON to check in. Checking in over the phone was NO LONGER AN OPTION. Okay lady.

I don't know what type of people they're used to dealing with, but I'd suggest they learn to direct their ire more constructively and not at every single customer that calls in. It was like talking to someone who works at the DMV (if you get my meaning).

Room Tip: We had a room on the 17th floor which I think helped with any NYC noise, but if you're impatient...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank stefien
Reviewed January 30, 2013

We stayed at the Belvedere hotel from Jan 25th to Jan 29th 2013. The front desk agent was very rude and the director of the front desk agent was even worst. They charged us for our room three times and even the lady over the director said she couldn't do anything about it. The staff there is very unfriendly and don't have any customer service skills. They treated us like we were not paying guest. I will never stay at this hotel again!!

Room Tip: Ask for the newly renovated rooms. The room was the only good thing about the entire stay!
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Lyne M
MichaelLink, General Manager at Belvedere Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 7, 2013

Dear Lyne M.
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay at the Belvedere hotel. Please accept my sincere apology for the lack of outstanding service the Belvedere has come to be known for over the years. I will be addressing your concern with the staff to ensure our high standards are maintained.
As you know from the conversations you have had with the Director of Front Office and the Director of Operations at the hotel, as well as reviewing your credit card statement, you absolutely were not charged 3 times for your stay. You also know that when you checked in, you and the other people in your room changed the method of payment several times which caused changes in the credit card authorization for your credit card (not charges) to ensure there were funds to cover the charges. When you finally decided how you wanted to settle the charges, the Director of Front Office contacted your bank to release the excess authorization on your account. As you know, your account was never charged more than it should have been.
I’m sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused as it is always our intention to accommodate our guests while providing outstanding service.

Reviewed January 30, 2013

Great location. Friendly staff. Wonderful selection of restaurants within easy walking distance. Near most Broadway shows and Times Square without the noice and traffic. Offers underground parking at a reasonable price for New York.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank VirginiaTravler
Reviewed January 29, 2013

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank monkeyblaine
Reviewed January 28, 2013

This is a decent hotel. The room was clean, not a bad size for New York, and luckily we were not on the street side so very quiet. Even though we arrived early (at noon which is check-out time), we were able to check in. The location is fabulous especially for going to the theater. Many good restaurants within a three block radius.

Room Tip: Ask for a room not on the street for maximum quiet.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends