The Algonquin Hotel Times Square, Autograph Collection
Hotel Belleclaire(New York City)(Great Value!)
$190
$179
  • Fitness center
Hotel Edison Times Square(New York City)
$339
$160
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Fitness center
The New Yorker A Wyndham Hotel(New York City)(Great Value!)
$224
  • Room Service
Hilton Times Square(New York City)(Great Value!)
$262
SmithHotels.com
$389
$346
  • Room Service
The Westin New York Grand Central(New York City)(Great Value!)
$299
$223
Westin.com
  • Room Service
Millennium Broadway New York Times Square(New York City)(Great Value!)
$311
$178
Official Site
  • Room Service
Blue Moon Hotel(New York City)(Great Value!)
$263
$98
  • Breakfast included
2,082 results
All reviewsblue bardorothy parkerhotel catliterary historyoldest hotelthe blue roomtimes squarenew yorkrooms are smallred flamemarriott pointsclassic hotellobby loungebryant parkthe theater districtstreet noisefree coffee
FilterAll languages
Reviewed April 20, 2007

I stayed at the Algonquin while I was sitting for the New York State Bar Exam in July 2006, despite the fact that I lived around the corner in Murray Hill. My reasoning was that I needed to be pampered and relaxed during this incredibly stressful 2-day exam - something that was unlikely to happen in my cramped & noisy studio on Lexington Avenue. I chose the Algonquin because of its rich literary history, the lovely ambiance, and the wonderful experiences I had previously enjoyed in the bar/restaurant of the hotel.

I checked in the evening before the exam, and was shown to a decrepit room with peeling wallpaper and stained carpeting - the room was also very noisy, despite my request for a room in the back of the hotel. I saw another queen deluxe room across the hall being cleaned, and when I called the front desk to ask if I could be moved into that room, the woman condescendingly replied that it was not in "my price range" since I had booked through Priceline - despite the fact that it was an identical Queen deluxe room - and that New York is a noisy city (I should know I've lived here for 8 years). She also stated that the hotel was booked up & I would have to stay in the room. Eventually, several phone calls later, and after requesting to speak to her supervisor, I was moved to a more acceptable room - obviously, the hotel was not in fact booked up.

I had planned on staying an extra evening after the Bar exam to relax and recuperate, but based on my unpleasant experience, I chose to check out immediately after the bar exam.

Upon approaching the valet to request my luggage (which I had left on the final morning of the exam), I was ignored while he chit-chatted with another worker. Another woman who had just taken the Bar was also with me, waiting for her luggage. The valet told us something along the lines of "you girls will just have to wait." Girls?

Unbelievable. The worst part was that I wrote a letter to the manager of the hotel, detailing my experience, and never received a response. I am thoroughly disappointed by this incredibly unpleasant experience during an already stressful time in my life. No thanks to the Algonquin, I passed the Bar, and will never recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled on business
7  Thank CityGirl42
Reviewed March 26, 2007

Just got back from the Algonquin. Chose this hotel for location and price. Travelzoo had a great rate of 179 with continental breakfast. We were worried about the construction next door as mentioned in recent reviews. When we arrived the woman at the desk asked if we minded waiting a few moments because she wanted to put us in a front room to avoid the noise from the construction. We did not mention anything first to her and never heard noise, except in the dining room in the morning. Everyone was very nice at the reception area. The lobby is vintage looking and my husband felt it to be depressing and dark. (It has been renovated to look this way) I liked the vintage charm. The room was pretty small and I actually had some difficulty putting my cosmetics out in the bathroom, however, everything was new and very comfortable. The bed and linens were very good. The location is fabulous. I would definitely stay here again at this rate, not sure if it was a lot higher.

• Stayed: March 2007
6  Thank guina
Reviewed March 23, 2007

The Blue Room bar has been a staple of our trips to NYC. Living in Philadelphia, we can go up on a whim. The eccentric waiters in the Blue Room bar have always been part of the charm. I was...validated...is that the word?... to read a recent review, where the customer said the Blue Room bar service is terrible and the waiters congregate around the bar and talk to each other. This is true.

BUT, the drinks are great (even at $15 a pop for a Signature Cocktail), and the free snacks are fresh.

Long live Matilda!
Cheers,
QOTD

Stayed: March 2007
3  Thank QOTD
Reviewed March 22, 2007

My husband and I had a getaway to New York just after Christmas. We booked a room at the Algonquin by calling them directly. I felt uncomfortable doing it over the internet. I told the agent I spoke with about the special internet price I had seen, and he honored this price. We had absolutely no trouble checking in and getting up to our room, with excellent service. The rooms are small, but this is New York, and all the rooms are small. It was just really cozy, and all that we needed. We had comfortable beds with down comforters
and plenty of soft and fluffy pillows. We had a lovely stand in shower, with plenty of wonderful hot water. Just being at the Algonquin was very exciting, with all the dinner shows that go on, and the lounge is always buzzing with activity. The location couldn't be better, walking distance to just about everything, very close to shows, Times Square, and the New York Public Library, of historical fame. The breakfast served in the lobby was truly delicious, but ws $60 with tip, just for two people. During the rest of our trip, we at breakfast at the cute diner next door, the Red Flame, which was pefect for us. Each morning we got up before dawn to start our day of sight seeing, and the fresh food and hot coffee next door really hit the spot. If you go to New York, stay at the Algonquin by all means!!!!!

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled as a couple
6  Thank carlaroseberry
Reviewed March 20, 2007

A stay at the Algonquin was something I had always dreamed of, being a Dorothy Parker fan, and I love the fact that the hotel has a resident cat (Matilda).

We arrived at the hotel mid afternoon, after an 8 hour flight from the UK (so were pretty jetlagged, and our bodies thought it was late evening). There was an awful noise and vibrating as there was construction work on a building behind the hotel. The receptionist assured us that it would stop at 6pm (but then confessed it started at 7am). The following day was my birthday so it was disheartening to think I would be woken up in such an unpleasant way!

The noise was not the fault of the hotel, so we decided to try and make the best of it. Our room was small and very noisy. We went down to the bar around 5pm to have some tea (it was way too noisy to have room service). The bar manager was sniffy and said "we aren't serving tea". We actually brought our own tea bags, so all we wanted was hot water and milk. I explained we were guests and that it was impossible to relax upstairs in the room. He begrudgingly let us sit in the dining area (but said "I have to charge you for tea even if you use your own tea bags..." GEE THANKS..) The noise stopped at 6pm which was bliss.

The next morning, it started up again at 7am so we ordered tea and toast from room service. This ended up costing nearly $40 which is outrageous. We had a booking to stay at the Algonquin again 2 days later, which we cancelled when we checked out, due to the noise. If the hotel had offered us a discount as compensation for the disturbance, perhaps we would have decided to stay there for the 2nd night, but they weren't interested. This experience has spoiled the whole concept of the Algonquin for me.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled with friends