The Algonquin Hotel Times Square, Autograph Collection
GreenLeadersBronze level
Richmond, Virginia
“Quirky and fun”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

This is such a sweet hotel, with so much charm. You have to understand its literary history in order to appreciate the unique vibe and attitude of the place. Otherwise it might seem old, outdated, stuck in time.

It's small, quaint, with cozy rooms (I had one with a bay window which made the room seem bigger), but nice beds, l'Occitane products in the bathrooms and funny, clever placards, pictures and framed art all over!

If you love The New Yorker and a cool vibe that can't be found anywhere else, this is the place for you.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars
1 Thank Traveling_Vicki

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (369)
Seymour, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

My husband and I spent a few nights in NYC for our anniversary. We stayed here on a Sunday in July. As soon as you walk in the door, you can feel the history of this establishment. The staff was warm and welcoming. They even had a room waiting for us even though check in was a few hours away. Staff asked if we needed help with broadway tickets, dinner reservations, anything. The room was very clean. Small, but you have to expect that in NYC. It had everything we could possibly need, and more. They even provide ear plugs in case city noises bother you. I did not however see Matilda the cat. Everyone speaks about her, and there are postcards of her. She is the resident hotel cat. Oh well! Maybe next time!! Try this hotel for yourself, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Room Tip: If noises are an issue for you, ask when you make reservations for a room not facing the street. We...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
Sheffield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

Fabulous hotel. The room was pristine, first class, but we could hear street noise, although this didn't affect our sleep. Free hot drinks at any time of the day, which is a bonus and the staff are very helpful and friendly. The location is brilliant for sight seeing. I would recommend this hotel and we wouldn't hesitate in returning in future.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014 via mobile

This is the oldest hotel in NY. However, it is a very nice place to stay. Our room was small but it looked like it had just been redone. It felt very high end. The lobby area has a lot of old character, but again felt and appears elegant. The staff was extremely friendly and accommodating. The location is great for getting around and seeing things. I would definitely stay here again and highly recommend this place.

Stayed July 2014
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

The Algonquin hotel is a first class NYC experience not to be missed. Soak up the surrounding charm - from the well appointed rooms - to the fabulous lobby and excellent staff/service.
Only downfall? I heard a lot of stree noise/construction at night in my room. and watch for the cat. She bites:)

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank alwaysunnyinphl
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

For a number of years I thought about how much I would love to stay at the Algonquin Hotel. I was quite familiar with and fascinated by the history of the Hotel, the lunchtime meetings that Dorothy Parker, Robert Benchley, Alexander Woollcott, and other literary luminaries had in the Hotel in the 1920s, and which led, among other things, to the birth of the New Yorker, one of my favourite magazines. When planning my most recent excursion to the Big Apple, I decided it was time to indulge myself and stay at this historic, landmark, quintessential New York hotel and I am pleased to report that I wasn’t disappointed. The Algonquin is a marvelous hotel, and the recent renovations have not only produced lovely accommodations, but have helped to highlight the hotel’s rich history.

There are, however, some things that could be potential issues for some guests at the hotel, and I mention these at the end of my review. None of these potential issues affected me, though, and my six night stay at the Algonquin at the end of June 2014 could not have been better.

From the very moment I arrived at the Algonquin the service I received was exemplary. I arrived early, about 8:45 am and naturally assumed that there wouldn’t be a room ready at that time; I was fully prepared to leave my suitcase at the hotel while I went about exploring Manhattan and return later at the regular check-in time of 4:00 pm. Much to my surprise and delight, however, there was a room immediately available for me and I was checked in very efficiently by the lady at the front desk.

I don’t know what rooms at the Algonquin were like before the recent renovations, but they are wonderfully furnished now. I loved my room and its décor, especially the old photo of Manhattan above my bed. The bathroom was very clean, absolutely spotless in fact, and I was very pleased that both the shower’s water pressure and temperature were able to meet my uncompromising standards and high expectations! I also liked the nice touch of a framed photograph of Matilda, the Algonquin’s resident cat, on the outside of my door, containing a funny quote by Robert Benchley. And, given how people sometimes complain about how small Manhattan hotel rooms are, I have to say that I was very impressed with how well the limited space in my room was used.

I should mention that, during what was a very hot and humid stretch of weather, I found the air-conditioning in my room to be very good. Housekeeping services at the Hotel are also impeccable.

One perk provided to guests, and which I especially liked, is free coffee from Starbucks, available from 6:00 am to 10:00 am on the ground floor close to the elevators. I was especially pleased to discover that the Starbucks coffee offered is the Pike Place medium roast, which is my favourite Starbucks blend. The other perk that I really liked was the free copies of the New Yorker left in every room each week. This provided some good bedtime reading during my stay, and some good reading on my journey back home.

One of my main reasons in choosing the Algonquin was its proximity to the Theatre District. On this trip to New York, I planned to attend more Broadway shows than I had ever seen before and the Algonquin’s location is ideal for this purpose. The only drawback to being so close to the Great White Way is that you do have to contend with all the noise and cacophony, and the hordes of people, that are an intrinsic part of midtown Manhattan. As much as I loved the Algonquin and give it my highest praise, I doubt that I would stay there again unless I was seeing a lot of Broadway shows, simply because I really can’t stand the crowds and the noise of the Times Square area.

Speaking of the noise of midtown Manhattan, I should mention that I was lucky enough to get a room at the back of the hotel, Room #403, which proved to be very quiet. Although earplugs were provided in my room, I certainly didn’t need them. Judging by comments from some of the previous reviews, you are likely to hear a lot of clamour and commotion from traffic if you get a room facing West 44th Street, so if that is a potential issue for you, you may want to request a room at the back when making your reservation.

Again, regarding noise, it must be noted that the doors to the rooms require a really good pull (or push, if you are inside your room) in order to close the door properly. This means that you will hear a lot of doors being slammed shut throughout the day and evening. Also, the walls between rooms are not particularly thick so, if you have noisy neighbours, you are likely to hear them. Fortunately for me, all of my neighbours on the 4th floor were very quiet and, apart from the occasional sound of a door slamming shut and the muffled sounds of a conversation from the room next to mine on one night, I had absolutely no complaints about noise.

Another potential drawback that prospective guests to the Algonquin might want to consider is the fact that the two elevators in the Hotel can be rather slow. This wasn’t a problem for me since I was only on the 4th floor and used the stairs virtually all the time. The sluggishness of the elevators is something that guests at the hotel should keep in mind, though, if they are in a rush to arrive on time to a Broadway show or other, similar event.

Anyway, I feel that the issues I have identified above are relatively minor, and I consider the Algonquin to be a hotel worth choosing, especially if one is planning to see a number of Broadway shows, or if one simply likes being close to all the buzz and excitement of midtown Manhattan. I have no hesitation in giving the Algonquin five out of five stars, because its rooms and service are truly exceptional, and the ambiance of its storied past really does make it a very special place to stay when in New York.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back of the hotel are quieter since they don't face West 44th Street. On the other...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
7 Thank Johannes56
Beaconsfield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

We had a fantastic stay after a cancelled flight resulted in us extending our stay in NYC and our hotel was overbooked. We wanted to stay at a similarly rated hotel and The Algonquin more than met our wishes and to our pleasant surprise accommodated us into a suite at very short notice. The staff were so welcoming & responded promptly to our every need & made us comfortable.

The history and charm of this hotel really was the icing on the cake & it was like stepping back into time to a golden age of travel. We were on the 11th floor which was a little noisy at night due to traffic/building work going on outside in the distance but the earplugs provided certainly helped & the sheer comfort of the room and the beds more than made up for the noise !

Would definitely stay here again and indeed would feel privileged to do so. Thankyou to all the staff again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family