“Incredible Service and Upgrade”

The Algonquin Hotel Times Square, Autograph Collection
Ranked #188 of 468 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Chattanooga, Tennessee
“Incredible Service and Upgrade”
Reviewed April 21, 2014

Found this small, renovated hotel to be perfect for our second honeymoon. The front desk asked us to wait for a couple hours until our room was ready upon arrival. When my husband told them we were on our second honeymoon, they upgraded us to the "Playbill Suite". The room was beautifully decorated and the adjoining living room was perfect for spending time. The service was outstanding in the dining room. When we would walk in each night, they greeted us by name and made us feel special. We got to meet Matilda the hotel cat. Don't expect to see the cat around much, she prefers to be in the offices sleeping.
The lounge on the 2nd floor provided free Starbucks, tea, waters, and fruit. We will definitely come back to our "Playbill Suite" and enjoy walking to Times Square and Broadway. Thank you so much staff for making this "second" honeymoon absolutely perfect!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
GBudge, General Manager at The Algonquin Hotel Times Square, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, April 22, 2014
Thank you for taking time to post your comments and sharing your recent Algonquin experience. We appreciate your business and look forward to welcoming you back for your Third Honeymoon…there is no limit on the amount of honeymoons one can have, is there?!
Gary J. Budge

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (428)
Avon, New York
Reviewed April 18, 2014

We made reservations at the Algonquin for a suite, which was fantastic. Room 1010 the Noel Coward suite. The sitting room faces front and the bedroom back so the bedroom is wonderfully quiet. The room was great. Expensive but great.

The service was spotty.

They did not have our package properly booked so they had to change it after we discovered the error. The clerk simply handed us a sealed envelope upon check-in which we assumed would have the appropriate vouchers. It did not and we did not realize this until we got up to our room. It should have been verified, opened and reviewed with us as you would expect at a hotel of this caliber.

The restaurant she recommended at was quite a disappointment (DB Moderne, next door) we paid almost as much as "21" and the food was good but unremarkable. There was no offer to make reservations for us as we experience at other hotels of this caliber.

A different employee misdirected us to the breakfast that was supposed to be included in our package so one day we ended up with the "Residence Inn" buffet instead of the fantastic breakfast we had the second day.

A small detail, the advertised package was supposed to include a bottle of "champagne " which, when it arrived was not actually champagne but Prosecco. It's not nice to get one's hopes up then underperform.

I could go on with more but take this as a metaphor:

In the morning they offer complimentary Starbucks coffee in the lobby ........but it's lukewarm.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank Dominic G
GBudge, General Manager at The Algonquin Hotel Times Square, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, April 21, 2014
Greetings,

Thank you for taking the time to comment and share your experience with the Algonquin Hotel Times Square, Autograph Collection. I apologize that your recent stay was not as well executed as you would have expected and appreciate your feedback.

You’re a valued customer; everything we do is aimed at providing you with an excellent hotel experience. I am glad that you enjoyed your accommodation in the Noel Coward Suite. We apologize about the confusion that occurred with the reception desk over the items included in the package you booked. Please be assured that we are taking immediate corrective steps to avoid such problems for future guests.

With regards to the restaurant recommendation provided to you by the Concierge, we have always received positive commentary when referring other guests. I am sorry that you did not enjoy your experience at DB Bistro Moderne and will share your feedback with our Concierge and with the DB Bistro team.

We hope you will allow us an opportunity to provide you with an exceptional guest experience when your travels bring you back to this area. Thank you again for your candid remarks.
Gary J.. Budge
Sydney
Reviewed April 17, 2014 via mobile

I have just left the Algonquin following a 7 night stay and I could not praise the hotel highly enough! Upon arrival I was greeted and upgraded to a King Room. This room was spacious and quiet, luxurious, and super comfortable!

The staff at the Algonquin are second to none! The front desk and concierge were extremely helpful with any queries I had. The door staff always happy and inviting. The Lobby Bar staff were exemplary - always welcoming me 'home' and seeing that I was treated respectfully and with warmth. As a single girl travelling alone, it was a great comfort to always have a smiling face and be welcomed back to the hotel with such warmth. My room was always beautifully cleaned and made up, and when the temperature dropped the cleaning staff made a return to my room specifically to ensure my blinds were closed to keep out this chill! Incredibly nice!!

The food and drinks at this hotel are delicious, whether from Blu Bar, Lobby Bar or Room Service! WiFi service was perfect throughout my stay!

Thanks for making my stay so enjoyable and relaxed!!

• Stayed April 2014
Frederick, Maryland
Reviewed April 16, 2014

I'm having a hard time rating this hotel because I believe it should have 4 stars, but because of what happened for not can only give 3. Will review again when we return. We were there for my husbands 50th Birthday and I really wanted everything to go smoothly, but we had some problems.

This hotel is ideally located just off Times Square perfect for any sight seeing visits. We were so hoping to love this hotel and make it our new goto hotel since we are tired of the Marriott Marquis but had a real problem with our reservation and the hotel.

We wanted to book with points and we also needed a suite. We were told by reservations that we just needed to talk to the manager when we got there and he would be the one to ok this, so when we checked in we asked for a manager and was told he was not available at the time and so I left my info and told them what I was told and to have manager call. The first night I called the front desk before going to bed because the manger never called and I left another message. The next morning I again asked for the manager and once again was told he will be in later and will call. I explained that I had already spent one night there and wanted this on points and was told I needed to speak to the manager. I am a Platinum member and was surprised that I had not received a phone call. Finally, the day we left I insisted that I speak to someone since a bill for a 2 night stay (maybe 800.00 - 900.00 don't remember was put under our door. The manager I spoke to was the revenue manager?? He said there was noting he could do that it was too late to use my points I had already stayed there. When I told him that I tried to speak with him from the moment we got there and that I left numerous messages to discuss this and they were not returned he said that he could do nothing for me but the next time I come he would book my suite with points. This really didn't help me with this stay considering I was planing on using my points!

It almost felt like my phone call was not returned on purpose since I said if there is a problem we can move to the Marquis with our points. Why did he not return my call the first day. I want to believe the best in people so for now I'm just going to assume he was EXTREMELY busy, but this really upset me especially considering some things we encountered.

They don't have a coffee maker in the room. Coffee is free downstairs, but I like to have my coffee before getting ready for the day, but that was not a big issue.

The beds were great, which is the most important thing to me, and the breakfast was excellent as well. The wifi worked fine for us.

The door staff was great. They were friendly and willing to help us out in whatever manner we needed from holding the door to hailing a cab, to directions. Very nice and helpful. More so than the concierge. Reading another review, it looks like next time I will need to speak with Nathaniel Wade at the concierge for real help. The women we worked with was not helpful.

My daughter was hoping to see Matilda but missed her..maybe next time. We really want to give this place another try and if the manager holds to his promise and lets us use our points for the same suite, we will be back in July!

Room Tip: Get a suite on a high floor.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Marla57
GBudge, General Manager at The Algonquin Hotel Times Square, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, April 18, 2014
Greetings and thank you for taking time to present your candid remarks about your Algonquin visit, we appreciate all feedback. We apologize for a lack of response from a manager in a timely manner; that is not an acceptable behavior from anyone on our team. As a loyal Platinum Reward member, you are certainly familiar with the manner in which point redemptions are booked and redeemed, the procedure does not defer to the time of arrival for point transactions. Guest rooms booked with points are booked prior to the arriving date and based upon availability depending upon the hotel selected.

To upgrade a Reward redemption booking, one would want to contact the hotel prior to arrival, to determine what accommodations are available and what the upgrade would cost. Reward point transactions do not transpire at the time of arrival and not following a stay.

For further clarification you may wish to contact the hotel directly or contact the Platinum Rewards concierge at Marriott Rewards.

Thank you for your comments to the Algonquin.

Tokyo
Reviewed April 14, 2014

This hotel has it all for the perfect stay in NYC, style, charm, comfort and great service. It is perfectly located for sightseeing, catching a play, visiting a museum or just to walk around. Of course, for the more laid back feel of NYC you will have to hit the lower part of Manhattan, so the abundant metro and bus station around make it a very good starting point. It is rather close to metro station at 42nd street and Times Square, Penn Station or Grand Central are also very close.

Hotel itself has kept enough of it's original charm while providing all the comfort you might need. Compared to hotels in the same area, it is mid priced, however, that price is steep, and that might be the only draw back for the casual visitor.

Room Tip: Try to get the room that doesn't face a backyard, if possible. A/C units surrounding you may get...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
GBudge, General Manager at The Algonquin Hotel Times Square, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, April 17, 2014
Greetings and a sincere thank you for taking time to comment on The Algonquin, our authenticity and our team of associates. We appreciate your candor and feedback and look forward to your return visit. It is interesting to see how the city grew up around The Algonquin which opened to the public in 1902 - it was once the tallest building on the block!
Minneapolis
Reviewed April 13, 2014

We enjoyed our second trip to the Algonquin, though it was slightly less magical than our first. We continued to be extremely impressed by the attentive and sincere service, and the history of the place cannot be beat. The suites offer a lot of space for the price, and we loved the thematic décor of the Promises, Promises suite. However, there was a mildew/musty smell in the bathroom that was offputting. Perhaps it's because we were on a lower floor (3rd floor) this year, while last year we'd been on the 6th or 7th.

I'd stay at the Algonquin again, but I'd request a higher floor. I continue to love the hotel. The location is phenomenal, and it's got loads of personality and character.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
GBudge, General Manager at The Algonquin Hotel Times Square, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, April 14, 2014
Greetings and thank you for your repeat business and for again visiting The Algonquin Hotel. We’re pleased to know you find our team to be accommodating and service driven and that our price value relationship is well balanced in your opinion, thank you. We will certainly investigate the odor you mention having experienced in the suite where you stayed and of course will do our best to correct it. We appreciate your pointing it out for us.
Please come back once again,
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed April 10, 2014

This was my first time staying at the Algonquin, for a girls weekend to see a show. The location was ideal for our activities and the service was above and beyond. The small lobby can get a bit crowded and the bar is very popular with people not staying in the hotel, but I never had trouble finding a place to sit or getting a drink in a timely manner.

The room was beautiful and well appointed, though not surprisingly small. We were "upgraded" to the front of the building as Marriott Elite members, which really only added street noise. The noise wasn't terrible - after all, you are in NYC - and they provided ear plugs in the nightstand should you be sensitive. We found that turning the fan on high for the AC system did the trick just fine. The two elevators get a little busy at peak times but we never had to wait more than a few minutes and were able to squeeze in every time.

My only disappointment was that I never got to see Matilda, the resident cat. My sister and husband both saw her, but she was behind the counter (I'm short and can't see over) or in the back every time I went to look. Not a big deal, but something I was looking forward to. I would definitely stay here again when in NYC for a show. Much nicer than the mega-hotels over on Times Square.

Room Tip: If you want a quieter room, ask for a room in the back of the hotel.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends