“Great place if you don't need space”

The Algonquin Hotel Times Square, Autograph Collection
Ranked #194 of 469 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed March 31, 2014

walking in, this place is beautiful! Even better, the staff was great, from the valet to the bellman, to the front desk staff, everyone was so nice and accommodating.

We arrived early in the morning so we had the bellman store our stuff for the day. We got a call at 2 pm that our room was ready. We got to the hotel and went up to our room. Here is why it is 3 stars. The room was tiny, extremely tiny. I could have dealt with that. my issue was the bathroom, there was no room to move, at all. I understand it is NYC, but we have stayed many places there and have no experienced a room so small! It was beautiful, but just wasn't working for us. I was going to try to just suck it up, but when I saw the earplugs, I knew this was going to be a problem, as I am already a light sleeper.

I headed down to the front desk and asked if they could cancel my reservation. I was happily surprised that they said yes! I thought that was just great that they were good about cancelling the room. I told them that I was heading to a different Marriott. That is when they told me that they are not technically a Marriott property. I had never really realized that previously.

If you want the old NYC feel, this is the hotel for you. For me, I need space :-0

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
GBudge, General Manager at The Algonquin Hotel Times Square, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2014

Greetings and thank you for your candid feedback and impressions of your brief visit to The Algonquin.

While we are disappointed you found our guest rooms to be too modest in size for your needs, we are thrilled to know that our team was on point with their interaction and solutions for your requests. For over 110 years The Algonquin team has been the keystone of our success and often what guests remember once they depart the hotel for a long time to come.

Please do consider a return visit and please consider booking one of our 25 suites, we believe you will find their size, décor and design to be to your liking.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed March 28, 2014

Small intimate hotel easy to walk to lots of places. Spotless rooms had one bedroom suite. No problem with lifts, free hot drinks & Wi-Fi a great bonus. All staff extremely friendly and welcoming - thanks for a great stay

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank joy c
Reviewed March 27, 2014

This was our 4th stay at the Algonquin. Love the location with regards to theaters. Love the charm and sophistication of the property and hotel staff are great. Really like Marriott's Autograph collection of properties. Each is unique and has its own personality. I will stay at this Marriott property in a heart beat over any other Marriott hotel in NY (including Marquis). The rooms are very tastefully decorated (some can be small) but each room has it own unique personality and history to NY theater and journalism.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 27, 2014

perfect location, comfy beds, clean, lovely staff, coffee free in morning....great lobby to hang out in...breakfast next door at Diner is pretty good and is a good price. I would recommend the Algonquin!!!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
GBudge, General Manager at The Algonquin Hotel Times Square, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded March 28, 2014

Thank you for the time you took to comment on your Algonquin visit and thank you for your business too. The team at The Algonquin takes great pride in creating memorable experiences for our guests so that they leave wanting to return again and again!

Reviewed March 26, 2014

We had excellent customer service! However, the rooms are incredibly small and while the location is great if you are spending most of your trip around Times Square/Broadway or at a walkable location, it was hard at times to get a cab out due to the one way street and traffic.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank ckamlet
GBudge, General Manager at The Algonquin Hotel Times Square, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2014

Greetings and thank you for taking time to share your comments on Trip Advisor, your feedback is appreciated.

Rooms at the Algonquin are not large and guests tell us they are very well designed and appointed, we hope you found that to be the case.

Our location on West 44th Street positioned between Fifth and Sixth Avenues is truly the heart of Midtown and is one of our greatest assets. The street grid in Manhattan is largely composed of one way streets and avenues with some exceptions, it has proven over time to aid in the flow of traffic. There are certain times of the day or during certain weather conditions when securing a medallion taxi takes more time than others, our doormen are expert at this task and maintain good relations with cab drivers to keep The Algonquin top of mind.

On a future visit when you know there is a certain time when transportation is required and you cannot afford to wait, our team can arrange in advance private car service to take you to your destination at a pre-arranged time.

Thank you for your business and please plan to visit The Algonquin again.

Reviewed March 26, 2014

You won't believe how cool this hotel is if you've never been here. Just come see the lobby even if you are staying somewhere else and I am sure you'll consider this one for your next trip. I do stay in good hotels when I travel for work or pleasure,,,well,,,,with only one exception probably, but I forgot the name of the hotel so not bad review was left...Algonquin is just magical, so intimate and personal, good smelling and extremely comfortable. Kind of expensive tho, but you know what you are paying for. Our room was small, but it had everything we needed and even more. Besides its size, the room and the hotel was 100% perfect. There was a breakfast place nearby where we ate,,,ah it is just the best location, actually.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 25, 2014

When we walked into this hotel, felt like we were in another era! Very Art Deco and tastefully decorated. Staff were very friendly and upon check in, I was instantly recognised as a Marriott platinum member and upgraded to a deluxe room. The room was spotless, king bed, very nice but as with most hotel rooms in New York, not very large. No bath, just a shower. Included was a continental breakfast as I was Platinum and I must say that was disappointing. No Buffett or choice of cereal etc, but you are just given a small bowl of fruit, couple pieces of cold toast & sticky buns. So not impressed with that! Ate out the next day for breakfast. Also, in the afternoon we ordered a pot of tea for 2......$16 plus tax!!!! Gosh New York water must be expensive! Anyhow, apart from that, we did enjoy our stay!

Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business