“An Interesting Historic Hotel”

The Algonquin Hotel Times Square, Autograph Collection
Ranked #188 of 468 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
South Florida
“An Interesting Historic Hotel”
Reviewed August 14, 2013

When I checked in, the ground floor was packed. Flash bulbs were going off everywhere. The gentleman who took me to my room told me about the resident hotel cat, Matilda, and the fact it was her annual birthday celebration. The history of the resident cats at the hotel going back to the 20s or 30s was quite interesting. There was a apparently a cat fashion show as well.

The lobby is nice with a historic feel. I did not like that you are given no choice about having a man take your luggage up to your room with you.

The king room was small. I know it is New York, but it was very small. Good L'Occitane bath products. Comfortable bed. Tiny bathroom. No outside noise heard really at all with a higher floor room. Can hear doors close in surrounding rooms very easily.

The gym is about what you would expect. Not bad, not amazing.

The location is great. About a block from Times Square and plenty of food options around, of course.

The staff was friendly.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (428)
Houston, Texas
Reviewed August 13, 2013 via mobile

I knew the rooms were tiny from other reviews so just be prepared for that. Anything more than 2 adults would not be manageable. The room was updated; flat screen TV, docking station, and nice linens. The bathroom was better than expected actually had decent space. We were in room 407 and this is an internal room no view and near the elevator.

The location makes this an ideal hotel for the right price. It's a block off Times Square.

The Service was what disappointed me the most with this hotel. I will start off with saying as a Platnium Elite Marriott Member I usually get a great level of service and it could be in NYC they see so many Platnium Elites it's no big deal. Even putting all that aside. I felt the front desk checkin process was mediocre. No real welcome or greeting. A do not service sign on the door was ignored. No doorman to get taxi. For this caliber of property just very suprised.

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank tmstewar2
GJBudge, General Manager at The Algonquin Hotel Times Square, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your experience at The Algonquin Hotel. We are sorry that you did not have the experience you hoped for. The Algonquin Hotel values guest feedback and appreciates the time you took to comment about your visit. We apologize for the inconvenience caused during your stay. We have read your commentary and identified the glitches you experienced with your room accommodation and staff service, in particular your arrival experience. The Algonquin understands the importance of the arrival experience to a guest and how that can affect your overall visit. This commentary will be shared with the team of associates to be used as a teaching tool for improvement. We hope this past visit does not discourage you from returning to the Algonquin Hotel.
Gary J. Budge
San Francisco, California
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Being a bit of a history buff, I've always wanted to stay at the Algonquin Hotel, home of Dorothy Parker and the Viscious Circle. Our room did not disappoint. We did move from a higher level to a lower one, same floorplan, because the ac was broken (critical in summer NYC). That did make me think, though, that if you were too low, the room might get too dark and a bit claustrophic. Very elegant decor - metro chic with occidental bath amenities - but also very small, even by NY standards because it is in a historical building. (I've also lived in NY.) That also means small elevators shared with service staff and longer waits. We also enjoyed a nice continental breakfast in their famed dining room. Service was good/fine - a little old school etiquette and a little NY gruffiness. Central location. Little boutique touches added charm.
We only stayed one night, though, in favor of a larger room at Times Square. (travelling as family)

Room Tip: Get higher rooms (but only if you like stairs or don't mind waiting for elevator)
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank T P
Woodstock, Illinois, United States
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Just stayed at the Algonquin Hotel in NYC, best hotel I have been to since I started going to NYC 3 years ago. Small, intimate and oldest hotel in NYC, since 1902. The Algonquin is loaded with beautiful artifacts of days gone by, but with modern conveniences and amenities we all have come to expect and MORE!!

The reason we loved it so much is that you felt like family when you stayed there. The employees were the nicest I have ever met!! I told my family when I left, we are coming back here, I have found my home when I visit NYC. The hotel is small, intimate, all the amenities you would ever need, and the employees treated us with care and concern. I have never said that about any other place we have stayed. Jeannie at the front desk, Manny the bellman, Rodney the bartender in the Blue Bar, and all the rest of the employees were FANTASTIC. I love the Algonquin!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Wow, I sure did expect more. This hotel seems very tired and in need of something. Coming to reception at 6pm, I needed to ring a bell to have someone come out - the person said she had been dealing with faxes. Then, I walked into the room and it smelled of mildew and mustiness, causing me to open the windows even though fairly warm outside. Finally, one nightstand seems covered with dust.

Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
GJBudge, General Manager at The Algonquin Hotel Times Square, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Dear Guest,

I reviewed your comments regarding your stay with us at the Algonquin Hotel. We do take all comments seriously and appreciate all the feedback we can get. I do apologize for the customer service you received. Our service associates are retrained every 3 months, and we do strive to provide first class customer service to all of our guests. We apologize for the smell you may have encountered in your room. We have recently completed a full renovation of the hotel, which required us to close for 6 months. The hotel reopened with a fresh design and newly remodeled building. Again, thank you for the comments because we are always looking for ways to improve our service.

Regards
Gary J Budge
Nesconset, New York
Reviewed August 10, 2013

This beautiful hotel, which was newly renovated has such old world charm. The staff is just wonderful, from the desk to the dining room! We just celebrated our anniversary in the city and stayed overnight and had dinner and breakfast there. We will definitely be back in September.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Miami
Reviewed August 9, 2013

Stayed at this hotel for the my birthday weekend in July. The staff is very friendly, from the doormen to the front desk, to the housekeepers. The room was small, but it didn't bother us since we expected that in NYC. It was very inviting, clean, and modern with a touch of old world class. The hotel is also within walking distance to so many of the great NYC sites. I would happily recommend this property. Thanks so much to the staff for making my birthday stay very memorable.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends