“Mostly Good Stay, But a Few Problems”

The Algonquin Hotel Times Square, Autograph Collection
Ranked #181 of 467 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
ny
“Mostly Good Stay, But a Few Problems”
Reviewed February 28, 2013

The location of this hotel is central and relatively safe. The hotel was recently renovated -- rooms are clean and nicely furnished. There is an excellent fitness center as well. I must say that the "Blue Bar" -- with its neon blue lighting and uber-modern look -- is, quite frankly, totally out of place in this historic setting. But there were some problems that showed a clear lack of attention to detail. First, check in was chaotic. Both desk agents were occupied with other customers (one in person; one on the phone), and I had to wait a fairly long time even to be recognized while in the thin, cramped hallway adjoining the front desk. Although my room reservation specified a quiet, non-connecting room, the first room in which I was placed was a connecting room on the front of the building. I was moved to a non-connecting room on the back of the building (of course, lugging my property), but the new room was noticeably smaller than the first room. I realized that some of the lights did not work properly in the room, and so I tried to call the front desk, but the buttons on the phone did not work properly. Eventually I was able to contact someone, and, when the (friendly) maintenance worker came, he could only partially fix the problem. In the end, I couldn't use an important light in the room. The next day, when I asked the front desk for an amenity that was missing from the room, it took approximately 30 minutes for it to arrive. Then, the bill -- placed under my door at night -- was wrong (overcharge) and had to be amended. I should add that, as far as I know, I received nothing by virtue of being a Gold member of Marriott. (This was a weekend stay.) So, although the room and most of the surroundings were nice, the stay was marred by some nagging problems.

Room Tip: Rear-facing rooms are quieter. Note that room sizes are, generally, smaller than average.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
GJBudge, General Manager at The Algonquin Hotel Times Square, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Greetings Marriott Rewards Gold Elite guest, thank you for staying with the Algonquin Hotel, Autograph Collection on your recent visit to New York City, your business is appreciated.

Thanks for your candid feedback in what we can do to turn a “mostly good” stay in to a great stay on your next visit.

Marriott Reward Elite level guests are entitled to point compensation at an accelerated rate based upon elite level status, please check your account to be sure that you were compensated at the appropriate level of points. It would appear the first room you were staying in was an upgrade for the January visit, however, a more quiet location was preferred and the second guest room may have been smaller in size, and more immune to city noise.

The hotel team extends a sincere apology for making your visit less than a great experience, and thank you again for taking time to write.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (421)
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed February 21, 2013

I was excited to stay at The Algonquin given the hotel's storied past. Immediately upon entering, you can tell you're in an historic property which is exactly what we were looking for. We were greeted promptly, courteously, and professionally (even though we looked a bit haggard from our many hours on a plane).

Our room on the 10th floor was a good size for NYC with a very comfortable king bed and nice furniture and amenities, including free bottled water, L'Occitane bath products, free WiFi, and a copy of The New Yorker. Unfortunately I experienced a severe allergic reaction to whatever detergent the hotel uses to wash its linens, but did not report it to the hotel as I was unsure of what could be done in that situation. The linens *were* spotlessly clean which I know has been a concern in NYC the past year, but my skin just couldn't tolerate the supplies the hotel uses to reach that level of cleanliness.

Regarding the room - one thing that some guests may find unwelcome is the size of the bathroom. I felt that it was small by NYC standards, with the toilet positioned in such a way that a larger individual might find themselves not being able to sit comfortably given where the toilet paper roll is on the wall. While this is not the smallest bathroom I've seen in a hotel (Paris), nor was it the oddest shower I've used (Rome), the door does swing open which is somewhat odd in that's where you hang your towel and the door gets wet from the shower. I realize this was done to maximize space, but it's still a bit quirky.

The location is perfect for visiting Broadway without being in the Las Vegas atmosphere that is Times Square. It is also convenient to many subway stations so you can visit other parts of the city quite easily. Upon walking into the lobby you feel like you've found a hidden retreat. We loved sitting in the bar with a drink before our shows. One thing to note - the bar is not cheap, even for two folks that are used to drink prices in the Bay Area (for example, our martinis were $22/each which gave us a bit of sticker shock).

Overall, we greatly enjoyed our stay at The Algonquin and would stay again. Next time I will try to make accommodations in advance for my allergies.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Becky-in-Oakland
Davidson, North Carolina
Reviewed February 20, 2013

Have stayed here over the years and love the new renovations of the rooms! More modern amenities and updated decor. The lobby is still the best place in the city to enjoy coffee and the morning paper. Perfect location for time square activities and yet our room was very quiet on back of hotel. Concierge and front desk very helpful and friendly at all times of the day. Our only issue was no hot water in the shower and Maintenance did come to fix within a few minutes. Love that they kept the Round Table and Historical aspects of the hotel intact. Nice job, Mariott!

Room Tip: If you want quiet, ask for a back room.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 20, 2013

The Alonquin sits on 44th St West which sits nicely between Time Square and Grand Central station. The hotel itself has been refitted with fresh carpets wall paper and maintaining some of the period features. We paid extra for a king size room which was ok but not worth the upgrade fee. the room was well decorated but poor views to the back of the hotel with a small corner window coupled with just about enough room to walk round the bed felt Claustrophobic. I used the gym facilities which were nice and sufficient for the size of hotel. We booked through travelzoo which included continental breakfast. This was ok however was served within a back room and not the hotel restaurant with the rest of the guests.

I guess to summarise my experience the hotel was nice, and a big BUT, lacks the wow factor which it try's to portray through its website and descriptions of 1920's style hotel. Do not expect to find a historical hotel, anything which was there has been lost in the refurbishment. This is what we thought we paid for and were disappointed with how ordinary it was. So three stars for clean, tidy, location and friendly staff, I knock a star of for value for money and another for misleading me on the style of hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank thegr8mrE
GJBudge, General Manager at The Algonquin Hotel Times Square, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Greetings, thank you for your commentary as posted on Trip Advisor regarding your Algonquin visit, the hotel is pleased that you selected the Algonquin located in the heart of mid-town Manhattan.

The hotel was opened in 1902 and is celebrating its 110th year of hospitality operation. The wood paneling, pillars, capitals and dental moldings are all original to the hotel, the room where you were served breakfast, the Oak Room, also retains the original paneling. In the Round Table Room, the wall sconces are from 1902, while the hanging lighting fixtures in the restaurant, Oak Room and Lobby are all new and in contrast to the original work. The design was intended to blend the fundamentals from the original design with a more up to date and sophisticated 21st Century look and feel.

Design is personal and while it did not seem to resonate with you, it has been well received by many others.

Thank you again for your candor and for your business.
New Orleans
Reviewed February 18, 2013

I have been looking forward to staying in this upscale Marriott Hotel and it didn't disappoint. Our room was not ready when we first arrived, but it didn't take long. The bellman stored my bags for us without any hassle. Our room was a king suite scheduled way in advance because the size of regular rooms in this hotel was way too small for our needs. We did have an issue with the wifi, the signal was very weak and frequently lost. My daughter "homeschools" online and she had significant difficulties keeping the connection going. She also tried the computers available in the business lounge, but the lounge was crowded and loud, and she kept getting messages that would not let her access her school.
The best part of this hotel was the employees. They were kind and helpful, the doormen were excellent about recommending restaurants close by.
We had made reservations for the executive lounge, that was a bit unusual. First of all, you had to have a ticket to get in for the breakfast, and they only gave us one ticket for both. Never did get that straightened out with the desk, but the hostess let us both in anyway. This room is only open for continental breakfast, no day snacks or evening deserts available. The hotel had a nice free coffee service in the lobby, and coffee and tea available throughout the day.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank spott
New York City, New York
Reviewed February 17, 2013 via mobile

I just checked in this evening. The room itself is nicely decorated with modern features, having been renovated about two years ago. In my room there are a few minor problems such as air con being a bit noisy(ear plugs are kindly supplied), the toilet paper holder has a design flaw in which the whole roll falls off with the slightest tug and the walls are very thin as noise from passing guests can be heard as if there was no wall at all. The towels are plush as in most Marriotts I have stayed in (over 240 nights). However this is not the Four Seasons' but I was eager to try this new boutique chain of "Autograph Collection Hotels". The room is smaller than the other properties that Marriott offer even in Manhattan but enough for a single person. I decided to check my emails in my room. This hotel has a serious wifi problem. The wifi didn't work so I called the front desk. Never have I ever encountered a more rude front desk clerk. He 'tried' to make me feel stupid by repeating the simple instructions for setting up the internet connections which turned out incorrect anyway. Even after the problem was solved he called me up to berate me about being on the phone as he was trying to connect me while I was already on the phone to another tech person. I couldn't believe the arrogance of this staff who called specifically to give me I hard time. When I told him I was on the phone to the tech person and that he couldn't speak to me in that tone, he said in a derogatory tone, how was he to know I was talking to another tech person. Boutique hotel or not this staff needs serious training on how to speak to people in general let alone guests. I went down to the front desk to see who I was dealing with. I told him he was the rudest person I had ever come across in a hotel and he couldn't speak to guests in that manner. I was looking forward to a pleasant stay in Manhattan. Instead I am still fuming with anger at 1:30am writing this review. No guests come to a hotel to be belittled!

Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank ioete11
GJBudge, General Manager at The Algonquin Hotel Times Square, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Thank you for the candid and frank commentary regarding the February 17th to 20th Algonquin stay and specifically pertaining to the desk associate with whom a most unprofessional and unpleasant encounter did occur. The team of the Algonquin does not condone such behavior as it is known you have experienced positive interactions prior to and following the confrontational encounter.

The business brought to the hotel is valued, and the hotel appreciates the decision made by this guest to remain at the hotel for the completion of the stay rather than deciding to relocate to another hotel. The hotel manager appreciates the time the guest took to meet with him personally to review the matter and to accept the hotel’s apology.

The individual with whom this interaction did take place has been trained to a high standard, of course retraining in the hotel’s core values will be an immediate part of his future time spent at the Algonquin.

The team of the Algonquin is humbled by these remarks.
Halifax, Canada
Reviewed February 17, 2013

If one is looking for location-location-location, this Hotel fits that bill perfectly. If one is looking to experience some turn of the 20th Century ambiance away from the hustle and bustle of Midtown, you won't be disappointed once you enter the front door. If you have no problem paying a premium for drink and food, then there are no problems. If one wishes to be surrounded by a more reserved people without the noise of children, you won't find a better place.

If one is looking for a large room with a large luxurious washroom, you may wish to look elsewhere. If you plan on spending a lot of time in your room, make sure you have no claustrophobic tendencies.

This is a class/classy establishment starting with the doorman. I found the staff to be extremely professional and helpful when required.
As mentioned, it all depends what you are looking for...

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple