“New York ! New York”

The Algonquin Hotel Times Square, Autograph Collection
Ranked #194 of 469 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed November 18, 2012

The Algonquin is a perfect location to enjoy New York City. Many theaters are within walking distance. Times Square is a short walk. The rooms are well appointed...you are in New York so not spacious...but very comfortable. The staff very pleasant and helpful. We walked to the Met, Central Park as well as dinner each evening. I truly will never even consider staying anywhere else in Manhatten.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed November 17, 2012

It's a gorgeous hotel with thoughtful service. It's very charming and makes you feel as if you've gone back in time to the 1920's, especially with the hotel bar. Not to mention - there's a cat that roams the hotel which is just perfect. I have three cats that I miss terribly when we travel so still being able to pet a cat made we feel like I was at home. The rooms are a little smaller than most US rooms but you're in NYC so this is somewhat typical. It's in a great location and has quite a bit of history - maybe even a few ghosts! (Note I was using Marriott Points so I can't really speak to the value although I felt my Points value was quite reasonable. Plus we were supposed to come in on Friday but our flight got cancelled at 9pm. The hotel didn't charge us for Friday night (they would have been within their rights to as we'd called to cancel after 6pm.)

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 8, 2012

We arrived in NYC less than a week after Hurricane Sandy, and into the arms of the incredible staff at the Algonquin Hotel. I have always dreamed of staying at this historic place, and my mom's 75th birthday celebration made me decide to splurge. It was worth it. Jennie in particular is an absolute gem; on hearing it was my mom's birthday she promptly handed us two cocktail coupons (and if you haven't tried an Algonquin martini, you really should - just beware - they are potent!!). She and another staffer had almost single handedly held down the ship in the week after the hurricane, as so many employees couldn't make it in.

Our room was small, which I'd expected, given the age of the property. But it wasn't TOO small - a perfect fit for two - and beautifully decorated. The bathroom is teeny but again, they use the space so well. We loved our room. And the king-sized bed is probably the most comfortable I have ever slept on. Dreamy.

The lobby is exquisite, the history imbues the place - have a look at the replica of Dorothy Parker's round table - and best of all, they still have a resident feline, Matilda. This incarnation of Matilda is hilarious - HUGE and fierce, with the most dour expression ... she is beautiful! I loved this hotel - you really get a feel for the New York of yesteryear, but with all the mod cons.

Room Tip: I always prefer a higher floor and a quiet room away from the elevators, which they were very happy...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 7, 2012

I normally avoid Times Square area like the plague favouring the character of downtown - glad I didn't on this occasion, partly as I was there in the Sandy aftermath, but also this was a real gem of a hotel that exceeded every expectation, at a fantastic price.
The Algonquin is obviously steeped in history, which is a wonderful draw, and the hotel has retained it's early 20th century style and charm. The resident cat, Matilda, adds a quirky element completely lacking in its fellow midtown bigscale hotel chain neighbours. I loved my stay here, for the following reasons:
- Style & ambiance: This hotel is small, which makes it feel very intimate and old school. Even the clientele seem timeless. The bar is simply gorgeous, large comfortable sofas and armchairs, dark with ambient lighting and delicious cocktails. The rooms have a similar feel, well decorated and a good size, the bay window created a nice seating area as well.
- Comfort: The shower was great, hot and powerful. The bed was extremely comfortable and warm, the closet was big with a lot of hangers. I also always appreciate when L'Occitane products are on offer.
- Staff / service: The staff were outstanding, so polite, so friendly, so attentive.
- Value for money: we booked on a deal from travelzoo which provided room, continental breakfast and a cocktail each evening for $239+tax - really unbeatable value. they seem to have a few more good rates as they are still in reopening mode.

My only areas for improvement would be the air conditioner in our room was very noisy and woke me up when it came on in the middle of the night. Also, the prices for cocktails were crazily above normal prices ($24 each average) which would put me off drinking there beyond one, which is a pity.

I'd go back in a heartbeat, in spite of its midtown location. It is actually very close to Bryant Park and much quieter that side of 6th Ave.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 6, 2012

The Algonquin Hotel was the quintissential experience: service, friendliness, room ambiance, delicious breakfast. The room was lovely. The bathroom was weel-supplied, had a great shower, and was eco-friendly. We would return there in a heartbeat!!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 5, 2012

This was just for one night. The other hotel i had been staying in could not extend me. So booked this place. Must say expected more lustre, given the price i was to pay. Yes the lobby is decadent. The room quite disappointing. A bit bigger than hotel rooms can be but still quite small. Bathroom probably the smallest i've ever been to. Nice L'Occitane amenities though. Big window, but frosted glass so you can't see the courtyard (not that you especially want to see this type of courtyard). It was freezing in the room when i checked in. Had to turn the AC to 80. The bathroom was also a freezer. The water running cold for a good five minutes until it started to get warm. Was beginning to wonder if they had hot water at all. When trying to go to sleep and switching off all the lights there were still irritating blue glimmer coming from the bedstand switches. Had to cover them with some adhesive bandages i was lucky to have with me. I think it's weird. More blinking lights at some sort of a smoke detector on the ceiling. Okay, was dead tired so slept well anyway. The staff I spoke to were all nice. Stay here if you are willing to pay extra for historical lobby. Also for a cat (whom i didn't see). And there is a bible in the drawer.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed November 5, 2012

This restored 100+ year old hotel was a delight. staff was both polite & helpful. The rooms are small, but what I expected from an older, restored landmark. Beautiful resoration inside the hotel, very stately...of an era gone by. Would defiantly stay again!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business