“We found a new home in NYC”
Review of The Surrey

The Surrey
Ranked #76 of 467 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Charlotte, North Carolina
“We found a new home in NYC”
Reviewed January 19, 2011

My wife and I stayed at The Surrey for 2 nights for our anniversary, we could not say enough about the hotel, the service, or the location, it was all perfect. Will stay here from now on

Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank a916rider
swadamaNewYork, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this review, January 21, 2011
Dear A916Rider,

Thank you for choosing the Surrey for your anniversary and for sharing your experience on Trip Advisor.

My name is Spencer Wadama, General Manager. Firstly, I will assume that the 916 is a Ducati 916? My dream bike, congratulations.

Secondly, Happy anniversary again. I am happy to read that we could make your occasion memorable and we now have another Surrey friend.

Looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

All the best in 2011 and keep it vertical.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (298)
  • Turkish first
Athens, Greece
Reviewed January 18, 2011

If you are a young couple who likes to live luxurious this is the best place to be.
The Surrey is a hidden gem in upper east side, far away from Manhattans noice.We have visited New York in August for shopping and this hotel fullfilled our expectations.From the lobby you can feel the ambience of this place.It is a very stylish area with an elegant decor, combining marble and wood.The staff at the front desk is very polite and well manered.The check in was instant which pleased us a lot after 12 hours travelling.The rooms now were very big compared to others in Manhattan area. The decoration was elegant but the best was the duxiana bed.OMG.The best sleep i ever done in vacations.Perfect perfect perfect.The marble bathroom was awesome with nice amenities.The area around the hotel is pretty quiet with all the luxurious shops on your steps starting with the Michael Kors and Louboutin boutiques aroynd the corner.The only cons i can think is the spa.It is very very expensive for what it offers. Generally the Surrey is the best hype boutique hotel in the residential area for people who dont like to show off in huge busy lobbies.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
swadamaNewYork, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this review, January 19, 2011
Dear LIKOS,

Thank you for choosing the Surrey for your visit to New York City and thank you for sharing your comments.

My name is Spencer Wadama, General Manager.

I am pleased to read your comments and glad to see you enjoyed the location, the look, feel and service of the hotel. It truly is a special, sometimes, unknown place in New York. My suggestion is on your next visit look to come in the spring or fall as the area really comes more to life with the park and neighborhood.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Surrey and wish you well in 2011.

Thank you again.
Rutim
Reviewed January 4, 2011

Stayed NYE for the night as we were at an event at The Carlyle.
The surrey is a beautiful classy boutique hotel, staff excellent, room lovely. Reminded us of 41 Hotel in London, grey, black and white, vintage Art Deco theme
beautiful if v expensive breakfast food c/o Boulud.
Bar is lovely too

only offputting thing was kate moss's photo on a canvas by lifts..what's that about ?!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
swadamaNewYork, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this review, January 18, 2011
Dear Rutim,

Thank you for choosing the Surrey and for your comments.

My name is Spencer Wadama, General Manager.

I am happy to read that you enjoyed the hotel and the decor. We are very proud. In regards to the Chuck Close piece on Kate Moss, its art, so why not? It was always a centerpiece for the re-design of the hotel and has become a nice trademark for the hotel.

Looking forward to welcoming you back to the Surrey in the near future and wishing you the best in 2011.
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed January 3, 2011

The location is perfect. 1 block away from Central Park, a few blocks from the Metropolitan Museum of Art, 2 blocks from the Whitney Museum, The Guggenheim, great restaurants, coffee shops and deli's within reach; and to top it all off, an exquisite hotel. The location is in a very residential section of New York City; minimal tourists within the immediate vicinity. You can really get a feeling of what it would be like to live in a "ritzy" section of NYC! Clean, beautifully decorated with gorgeous comfy linens, modern rooms, with contemporary mirrored decor. The bathrooms are marble tiled with a clean glass shower and great amenities. The hotel was extremely quiet, I felt like we were the only guests there. It feels like a very small hotel with personal attention to every detail. Although we didn't dine at the restaurant, it looked very upscale, as well as the bar. The hotel is only two blocks away from the #6 Subway line, and truly Madison Ave., is a great walking street. We walked all the way to the theatre and back. I hope you stay here and enjoy!

Dear Sunsun5,

My name is Spencer Wadama, General Manager.

I am happy to read your comments and see that you not only enjoyed the feeling in the hotel, but the location and some of the nice neighborhood amenities. It truly is a destination in New York. I will say that at 190 rooms, we are not really small, but the team creates that impression through their guest attention. Happy to read you felt comfortable.

All the best in 2011 and hope to see you at the Surrey soon.
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed January 3, 2011

Our family (My wife and our 17yo son) arrived on Xmas day just before the blizzard for a 5 night stay.

This was our first visit to the Surrey and it was really wonderful. We had a 1 bedroom suite which was extremely comfortable for the three of us and the hotel did everything to make our stay perfect.

We had even shipped our holiday gifts ahead of time which were delivered to the room and I had something special shipped separately for my wife which was not wrapped and the hotel took care of wrapping it for me.....very nice.

If you are looking to stay on the Upper East-side this would be a wonderful choice

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Dear FFWC,

Thank you for choosing the Surrey for the holidays and for sharing your experience.

My name is Spencer Wadama, General Manager.

I am very pleased to read your comments about your stay. Obviously you are quite creative with your gift giving, all we did was follow your direction, but we were glad to make it unforgettable. My team works hard to creats moments to remember, I am very happy to see we succeeded with your stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Surrey in the near future.

All the best.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 2, 2011

3 night stay (Suite 1603) to celebrate NYE.

Good Stuff

- Nice location about 100m from Central Park
- Decent size suite (not for $1,000 but hey it's NYC)
- No problems cancelling 4th night booked in error
- All the staff were very friendly and helpful

Bad Stuff

- Minibar was only replaced once (30 mins before we checked out!). We were out a lot, no privacy card or any excuse like that...
- We were called at 12.30pm on last day saying checkout was 12pm, it wasn't we had a package allowing a 4pm checkout
- Went to the business centre to print out boarding passes, down on floor 2 in the slowest elevators in the world. Card didn't work, it had been cancelled at 12pm, had to collect a new one, printer had no paper anyway, nice...
- Food was very average
- Spent $200 on clothes washing (yep, bargain) and wasn't even done properly
- Car hire was $98 an hour, 2 hour minimum, best. value. ever.
- No DVD player, had to burn $400 on a poo laptop so we could watch An Idiot Abroad, very apt...

Shocking Stuff

- Had a bottle of 1986 Margaux + 2 decent glasses and decanters delivered for NYE (from Tribeca, nice service, they delivered in 2 hours although the wine was bland IMO, wanted the Mouton from the same vintage). Just noticed now as packing the glasses and decanter has gone, can't be bothered to try and get it now, maybe they've added it to the Penthouse Suite as a nice added extra. Enjoy...

Overall, NYC is great, had a wonderful time, The Surrey leaves a lot to be desired though, there are many hotels in a different league for less wonga x

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank neilora
swadamaNewYork, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this review, January 3, 2011
Dear Neilora,

My name is Spencer Wadama, General Manager.

My sincere apologies for the experience you detailed on your review. Please know that I have e mailed you directly as well to discuss. I have shared your comments with my team to make improvements and ensure that we are reacting to our guests comments.

I am also working on locating your glasses and carafe, as I am sure they were removed in error and not with any wrongful intent. When located I will get them back you you but I will need a mailing address, since you seemed to have booked a package through a third party provider.

I look forward to hearing from you and wish you the best in 2011.

Thank you for your comments.
New York City, New York
Reviewed January 2, 2011

My husband and i booked two nights stay for New Years celebration.
Pros: - Location, Location, Location;
- Helpful and friendly Staff;
- Luxurious accommodation;

Cons: - Door to the room rattles pretty loudly every time someone open/closes door to other rooms (every 15-20 min, starting 6 am)
- cleaning service (left wet/used towels on the floor behind)
- Cheap toilet paper!
- $15 per day for internet connection in the room

Dear Irenedigit,

My name is Spencer Wadama, General Manager.

I am disapponted to read what you experienced and will definitley discuss with my Housekeeping team. This should never happen, thank you for making me aware. I will also address the rattle of the door with my Engineering department.

Overall, it seems you enjoyed the stay but thank you for noting where we need improvement.

Wishing you the best in 2011 and to welcome you back to the Surrey.