“#1 in NYC for me and hopefully always”
Review of The Surrey

The Surrey
Ranked #94 of 471 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed October 18, 2010

Stayed for 2 nights. This was one of the best experiences in NYC, from the moment we arrived the Service* was amazing - the attention to detail was perfect. The rooms were large, clean perfectly appointed, no detail overlooked, the bed was so big I could barely reach my wife! A nice view was requested online and delivered. Cafe Boulud is attached to the hotel and the standard of service flows freely between the two*, lightest Belgium waffles I've had. I look forward to returning often. Thank You.
* I gave 4/5 for Service for the following: The Bar - wait staff not at the same level as Hotel and Restaurant and a few mistakes by the Concierge - I was told 2 incorrect closing times, one for the Guggenheim (not 530 on Sat) the other for Bloomingdales (not 830 on Sat) which caused a lot of wasted time.
Sorry no pics, was so relaxed that I forgot!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,926)

Reviewed October 18, 2010

I've been planning a trip to NYC with my girlfriend for a few months and was planning on staying at the Ritz but decided to go with the Surrey based on the reviews here. I got in contact with the hotel management and concierge early to ensure they understood my expectations and to solicit their help in planning this trip. They went above and beyond. It was easy to correspond with them and they were helpful. The concierge arranged two incredible dinners - one on Friday night and one on Saturday before our show. Both were awesome experiences in terms of food, ambiance, and how we were treated. The hotel itself is wonderful with great styling in the lobby and restaurant. The room was impeccable. It was beautiful and comfortable and spotless. The actual hotel staff was very helpful with luggage and directions and advice. They seemed genuinely interested in our plans and with helping out and managed to remember us as we came and went which was somewhat expected of such a hotel but still nice. We would definitely stay here again. What I appreciated the most was the more personal contact and help we were afforded likely because it is a smaller hotel that is every bit as luxurious as the bigger more well known ones.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Swadama, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this reviewResponded October 21, 2010

Daer Kingtito,

Thank you for choosing the Surrey and for posting such wonderful comments.

My name is Spencer Wadama, General Manager. I am happy to read your posting and am excited to share with my team. I am espcailly happy to see that we created a wonderful memory not only of New York, but of the Surrey as well. I would agree, I have an amazing staff that truly cares about the guests and always tries to go above and beyond to make each stay personal and memorable to each guest. I have always believed that a hotel is a hotel, its the people and the attitide that guests remember.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Surrey in the future and until then, I wish you well. Thank you again.

Reviewed October 18, 2010

Our room was what the doctor ordered. The bed was great too relax in. The sounds of NYC were outside. We enjoyed our time at The Surrey even for a short vist, but worth the trip.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with friends

Dear jcompton1,

Thank you for choosing the Surrey and for posting a comment.

My name is Spencer Wadama, General Manager. I appreciate the comment and will gladly share with my team. I am glad to see you enjoyed the beds and the location.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Surrey.

Reviewed October 17, 2010

This was the my secound stay at the Surrey Hotel. From the time I arrived at the front door and greeted with a smile. My room was on the 11th floor overlooking the city lights. The bathroom was very large.

I love you can walk out the front door and your on Madison Ave or Central Park the other way. "Great location".

The penthouse roof top bar was over the top. A glass of wine overlooking the city could not get any better.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled solo
Swadama, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this reviewResponded October 18, 2010

Dear jacnmu,

Thank you for choosing the Surrey and for posting your comments.

My name is Spencer Wadama, General Manager. I am very happy to read your comments and will gladly share with my team. We work very hard to provide the best most personalized service, i am happy to see you succeeded. I am as well delighted you could enjoy the amenities of the hotel that really make the Surrey special.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed October 12, 2010

Beautiful, elegant, updated rooms in a venerable old UES building with great food and drinking venues, great service, and highly comfortable beds. My favorite NYC hotel. Reasonably-priced. No complaints at all. Nice gym to boot.

Business or pleasure.

Hope they keep up the very high standards.

Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank I1240DMdanielr
Reviewed September 26, 2010

We finally found our new home in New York. After years of disappointment when staying at the Regency we moved on up in the East side to the wonderful Surrey. It was just fully renovated in 2009. the rooms are beautifully designed and the service is wonderful. The management has done a wonderful job training everyone from the doorman to the chambermaids. Everyone greets you with a friendly hello. We stayed at the Regency for over 10 years and no one ever bothered to greet us. But that will be another review. The Surrey is sitiated in a beautiful and refined uptown location. It is across from the Carlye hotel and among many elegant shops, and galleries.and museums. The hotel boasts a Daniel Bolud restaurant, and the as you can imagine, the food is wonderful. including room service. We also love the beautiful rooftop that serves fantastic drinks and snacks and will soon serve breakfast as well. They play cool music at night and you have a wonderful view of the New York skyline. There is also a lovely spa and a nice small gym as well. We come to New York often as our daughter lives here, and this will now be our new home away from home.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank truffle55
Swadama, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this reviewResponded September 27, 2010

Dear drawkowski,

Thank you for choosing the Surrey and for sharing your experience.

My name is Spencer Wadama, General Manager. I am very happy to read your comments and appreciate the fact that you now choose the Surrey when you come to New York. Thank you for recognizing the hard work and great personality of my staff, they are amazing.

We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit, all the best.

Reviewed September 23, 2010

Stayed here for a shopping and sight-seeing trip and can thoroughly recommend it. Great quality decor and fittings throughout + super friendly and efficient staff.

Good spot for museums, galleries and Central Park and only 10 minutes from 5th Ave shops.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple

Dear Longwellgreen,

Thank you for choosing the Surrey and for sharing your experience.

My name is Spencer Wadama, General Manager. I am very happy to read you enjoyed the hotel and my team took very good care of you. I would agree that the location is amazing and a destination in New York that is still being discovered by visitors.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Surrey in the near future. All the best.