“Sophisticated Respite in NYC-Friendly Staff, near Museums”
Review of The Surrey

The Surrey
Ranked #73 of 468 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
West Chester, Ohio
“Sophisticated Respite in NYC-Friendly Staff, near Museums”
Reviewed June 28, 2010

We booked The Surrey as an anniversary get- away. We opted for this hotel to be away from Midtown crowds and noise. We also love Central Park, and it's a few steps away from it. From the moment you pull up to this hotel, you know you are somwhere special.
I was a bit worried about not feeling welcome on the upper east side, but the hotel staff-all of them, were so kind and thoughtful. We were congratulated on our anniversary from each staff member numerous times. Little touches like fresh water bottles and cookies delivered each night, the roof garden where we were treated to complimentary champagne 2x, made us feel special, and not like cattle driven through a massive hotel.
Our meal at Cafe Boulud was one of the best of my life. They even wrote "Happy Anniversary" in liquid chocolate on our dessert plates.
I'm really sensitive to noise and temperature when I sleep. The room has an adustable air control that is silent in operation. I slept better than at home! We were on the 8th floor and I heard a few car horns, but nothing much. Other than that, our room was very quiet, gorgeous, and spacious. It's obvious the hotel decor was very recently done.
We didn't use the stocked fridge or snack area-though it was impressive! We removed stuff from fridge to make room for our drinks.
We walked and took the subway which is about a 10 minute walk away or cabs a few times. We felt very safe.
My husband and I have travelled the world and without a doubt thought The Surrey was the nicest hotel we'd ever stayed with. Not only the facility itself, but the entire staff is A+. Thanks for making our anniversary so special!

Dear Mkk120567,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Surrey and thank you for your very positive review.

My name is Spencer Wadama, General Manager. I am delighted to read your comments and will gladly share with my team. Happy anniversary again. I am so happy you could enjoy the occasion. The comments that make me most happy, is the positive impression the staff made on your stay. I will also agree that Cafe Boulud is an amazing restaurant.

We look forward to welcoming you back and wish you only the best.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (292)
  • Turkish first
West Hartford, CT
Reviewed June 28, 2010

My husband and I just celebrated our anniversary at with an one night trip to NYC. The Surrey was perfect! Our room was spacious and luxurious. The king bed was heavenly with a fluffy comforter and loads of pillows. The bathroom had a luxury spa feel with an incredible shower. The Upper East Side location meant no noise. Add in the barely audible air conditioning system and room darkening shades and it is no wonder that we had a great sleep. Room service was delicious and elegantly presented. The roof top garden was a true bonus. Although we did not visit the spa, we left feeling pampered and relaxed.

Dear escapeartist36,

My name is Spencer Wadama, General Manager. I am delighted to read your comments and will gladly share with my team. Next time you must try the spa, you will not be disappointed.

Pleasanton, California
Reviewed June 28, 2010

I chose the Surrey for a leisure trip to NYC with my 16-yr-old daughter. I deliberately selected a smaller hotel in a nice neighborhood location close to Central Park away from the main tourist areas, with proximity to museums. It was a good decision, and the Surrey was an excellent choice. We enjoyed walking downtown via Park Ave one day, and Madison Ave the next. Getting around by taxi or subway is easy.

The hotel is very nice. We stayed in a grand deluxe room which was very spacious, with sitting room and double sink, large countertop in bathroom (good for teenage daughter). Our room on the 10th floor was quiet and we slept very well. Bed extremely comfortable, furnishings tasteful and everything was very clean. The entire staff was courteous, friendly and helpful to us - without exception. We had room service breakfast every morning, which arrived exactly as requested. One evening, we dined at Boulud's which was fabulous. We also had an early light dinner on the Terrace, which was a delightful ambiance (limited menu, however). Overall, we had a very enjoyable, memorable stay at this lovely hotel. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank 4everlearning
Dear 4everlearning,

My name is Spencer Wadama, General Manager. I am delighted to read your comments and will gladly share with my team. This is a win for us, if we successfully made you and your daughters stay memorable.

nj
Reviewed June 20, 2010

My husband and I decided to go to NY for one night. American Express recommended The Surrey Hotel and it was an excellent choice. We stayed in the deluxe salon which was beautiful, very upscale with outstanding amenities. We loved the Duxiana mattresses, soft sheets, comfortable pillows and soft comfortable slippers. In the morning we had breakfast at the restaurant. I had eggs that were so light and fluffy and delicious along with really good strong coffee. We were quite impressed by the service of the entire staff. The doorman remembered us each time we passed him. The bellman who took us to our room was funny, talked baseball and Tequila with my husband. The staff at the front desk were very helpful and always remembered us.
Part of the fun of being in NYC is taking cabs and going with the experience.
We will be back often. Thank you.

2 Thank zoey4
Dear Zoey4,

Thank you for choosing the Surrey and for posting your review.

My name is Spencer Wadama, General Manager. I am very excited to share your comments with my team, Thank you.

Even more, I am happy we could make a positive impression on you during your visit and I hope you will return soon, so I may have the opportunity to meet you.

Until, my best to you.
New York City
Reviewed June 19, 2010

I booked a three night stay at The Surrey last weekend to celebrate my girlfriend's birthday. We both live and work in NYC, so I simply wanted a nice room near Central Park where we could relax. For the most part, The Surrey delivered. First, the room was truly wonderful. We stayed in the Grand Deluxe Salon, which I worried would feel small, but was actually quite spacious. The bed was unbelievably comfortable, the sitting area by the window was large and also very comfortable, the bathroom was a dream, and there was even a well stocked bar to make you feel like a character on Mad Men. Not to mention, the room was clean and quiet. Second, The Surrey is located just a half block from Central Park, a short walk or taxi ride from the museums, and right off of Madison Avenue for some quick shopping.

However, not everything about the stay was as nice as the room. For example, prior to checking in, I had called the front desk to arrange for a bottle of champagne as a birthday surprise for my girlfriend. Although I intended to purchase a bottle of our favorite champagne, the person I spoke with offered to provide a bottle on the house! This was an impressive offer and made me even more excited for the weekend, but it ended up taking four phone calls and two days to actually receive the bottle. Second, although we were granted a late checkout the night before our departure, we received a rude phone call at 12:45pm the next day asking why we were still in the room (late check-out was for 2pm). Finally, my main complaint was realizing that internet is not just $15 per day, but $15 per computer per day. There is no warning on the login website and no one had mentioned additional charges the two times I asked while booking the room. So since my girlfriend and I both had to work on our laptops over the weekend, the final charge for three days of internet was $104.67. Assuming this was a mistake, I asked the front desk about the charges and was told the "policy." I explained that this wasn't clear from the website and that no one had mentioned this before, but two separate staff members argued with me in a really unpleasant and hostile way. They finally agreed to take care of the charges, but it was an unpleasant way to end the weekend.

In fairness to The Surrey, I submitted a complaint through their online survey (you receive an e-mail after check-out) and promptly received a response from a manager that was very nice and apologetic. He assured me that my experience was not normal and based on all of the reviews here, I would have to assume that's true. Also, if I had known about the internet charges from the get go, my complaints would be pretty minor. Not to mention, I have to give the hotel credit for even offering a complimentary bottle of champagne and for eventually removing the internet charges in full. Ultimately, if you're looking for a great room in NYC in a great location, The Surrey is probably hard to beat.

1 Thank hsnifferstein
Mr. Hsnifferstein,

Thank you for choosing the Surrey and for your comments in regards to your experience.

My name is Spencer Wadama and I believe we have communicated already on your experience. Please accept my apologies again for the lapses in service you experienced. I have already used your feedback to my team on where we can really work to improve on our guests experience.

Know that we are as well, working with our HSIA company on the per PC vs. Per room charge for internet.

Thank you again for your feedback and I hope to see you at the Surrey in the near future.
Scotland
Reviewed June 19, 2010

I stayed at this hotel for 4 nights. On the 1st night- a Wednesday- I was put in a room on the 3rd floor looking out over the hotel entrance. I understand that the Surrey has spent significant millions on renovating this hotel- and it is generally very nice. However, the road noise was bad in this 3rd floor room- so clearly they have not spent adequate attention and money soundproofing the rooms. I asked to change room the next day and was moved to the 10th floor- which was fine- with no audible road noise.
The Surrey started poorly for me. On my first evening I ordered a coffee and some sparkling water to the room- it arrived- but before I had a chance to notice, there was no milk with the coffee, the water was warm and there was no ice- and I had no bottle opener to open the water. This was slovenly attention to detail.Next morning I asked for an ironing board and an iron. I had to call down twice before I received them- after a 40 minute wait.
So after my first day at the Surrey- my impression was one of all show but little substance- small things really matter.
The remainder of my stay was excellent. I think it is a great location. Near Central Park, near great restaurants and Museums but far enough away from Midtown so that you feel a sense of surburbia. The rooftop garden is beautiful and a real plus.

The surrey can improve by looking at small but important changes:
-Having an ironing board and iron in each room (why make us chase you for them?)
-A restroom on the rooftop garden. You can drink there endlessly but you are expected to go to your room to use the restroom- this is ridiculous.
-The rooftop garden should be available (to sit in at least) from early morning. Currently it does not open until 11AM. This is not good enough.
-Better attention to room service details. For many this, in particular, can ruin a hotel's reputation. Room service is expensive...and so it better be accompanied by excellents Service.

Overall the Surrey is a very good hotel and the staff are generally very helpful. It is great looking, trendy, in a great location, has a great Spa, restaurant and a wondful rooftop garden.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
Dear LindenScotland,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Surrey and providing your feedback on your stay.

My name is Spencer Wadama, General manager. Overall I am glad to know you liked the hotel and staff and of course the wonderful area we are located.

I do want to apologize for the poor service from our in room dining department. The team works hard to provide great service but unfortunately, we fell way short on your experience. In regards to your list of items we should address, rest assired that each point is already on our radar screen and items for improvement., thank you for helping my cause.

I would like to further discuss with you at your convenience at spencer.wadama@thesurrey.com.

Thank you again and I hope that your initial experience does not deter you for a return visit.
Cheshire, UK
Reviewed June 18, 2010

We booked into here for 3 nights at the end of our honeymoon, very last minute due to a problem with our other hotel. It is ridiculously expensive but we thought we'd treat ourselves. The hotel is in a great location, very smart and right next to Central Park with a nice walk past the swanky shops towards mid-town. But the area immediately outside the hotel is a bit scruffy at the moment due to (very noisy) road works - but this seems to be the standard in Manhattan.

Front desk staff varied from fairly good to very disinterested (particularly the brunette woman who didn't seem to remember us from 5 minutes beforehand).

The room was very nice and particularly large compared to most New York hotels. Sound insulation was almost non-existent though, we were woken up by the sound of pneumatic drills outside for 2 of the 3 days. Just what you want!

The room was severely lacking in amenities too - it seems the more you pay the less you get - no tea or coffee facilities (tea can be obtained from room service for a mere snip at $8 + 20% service. Bargain), no ironing board (30 minute wait when we requested one) and no ice on the floors (again an excessively long wait).

Carrying on with this theme, no free internet and the final nail in the coffin after having to ring a free-phone number (given to us by front desk) to try and sort out our flight which had been cancelled, we were charged $10 on check-out. To a free phone number! To their credit, we disputed this and it was removed but this was a totally unpleasant way to end our stay. They really need to advise what call charges are in the room but there's absolutely nothing.

I have no qualms about spending a lot of money on hotels, but I am not prepared to be ripped off. Unfortunately in NY, nothing much is good value but it's still one of my favourite cities in the world. We just won't be staying here next time.

Dr C

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank BexEee
Dear BexC,

Thank you for choosing the Surrey and for sharing your experience.

My name is Spencer Wadama, general manager, For the most part, i am very happy to see that you liked the hotel, from a design and decor standpoint, and the Upper East Side. I am very concerend with your comments on my staff. I will communicate your impressiona with the expectation that we improve.

I will agree that we can still improve on our offerings to guests. Rest assured we are adding amenities and of course we always record individual preferences as well. That way in the event we have a guest that once requested a coffee maker, we ensure a coffee maker is placed for their next visit.

Again, Thank you for your feedback. I would be happy to discuss further if need be. I can be reached on spencer.wadama@thesurrey.com.