“A truly memorable stay”

The Surrey
Ranked #100 of 473 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed June 3, 2010

If you fancy treating yourself then this hotel is a MUST ! It was a very special ocassion for us and so I decided to treat my partner and I to a three night at The Surrey. The service was fantastic and got the impression that the staff genuinely enjoyed their jobs. The hotel is located in the very posh Upper East Manhattan area and there are some great restaurants and cafes in the area. It was only a short taxi ride to downtown Manhattan.

A personal thanks to Spencer who ensured that our stay was faultless and memorable.

This was our first trip to New York and cannot wait to return.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
Swadama, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this reviewResponded June 4, 2010

Dear AnthonyDublin,

Thank you for choosing to Stay at the Surrey and thank you for sharing your experience.

I will gladly share your comments to my team and of course it was my pleasure to ensure your stay was without disappointment.

I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your firest trip to NYC, it truly is an amazing city. There is no doubt there is more excitement waiting for you on your return.

My best to you and looking forward to welcoming you back.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,934)

Reviewed June 2, 2010

I can't think of a better place to stay in NYC. My first ever visit to NYC and we extended the trip and the hotel we were staying at didn't have any other rooms available for the extended day so did some soul searching and found this hotel and I'm so glad that I did!
Perfect location, perfect room, perfect staff, perfect hotel security (secured elevators. Not that I was worried about anything but caution is always better). The moment I entered the room I didn't want to touch anything, it looked so nice and clean and I'm running out of words to say anything about this hotel. Loved the city and I'm not staying at any other place but The Surrey anytime I go to NYC.
The staff was so helpful and I contacted them through email and explained my plans and everything was very well taken care of. I got sick on the last day so we mostly stayed in and it was just so comfortable.
Room service was excellent and food was tasty.
The only disappointment I had was that I wanted to get mani/pedi done after a week in NYC I did feel bit dirty not that I'm saying the city is not clean but I just wanted to stay in and relax and get back home fresher. But there wasn't anything available. I called the spa early in the day to make sure that if I need to book any treatment and they said you can walk right in and no need for reservation/booking. But when we got there the staff member said mani/pedi can't be arranged that was bit dissapointing but everything else was just superb. Hopefully this will stay the way it is every time I visit. Please don't change.
Thank You guys for taking care of us.

Dear HarryA909,

Thank you for choosing the Surrey, albeit last minute, we are glad you did. I do appreciate you sharing you experience as well.

My name is Spencer Wadama, General Manager. I am excited to see that you enjoyed your stay but am disappointed about your Spa experience. Please know that I have shared your comments to my Spa Director, to ensure that we correct immediately.

We look forward to welcoming you back, in the near future.

Thank you again.

Reviewed May 31, 2010

When we stay in NYC we generally choose the Upper East Side, as we have a CKCS and need to be near the park. This hotel meets all our criteria for the perfect city hotel--there is a warm and gracious staff who can get you excellent restaurant recommendations, a 'boutique-hotel' like feel so you are not just one in a sea of thousands of rooms, and elegant accommodations with QUIET rooms! The Surrey met all these expectations and even delivered more.
Notable positives:
-Front desk, Concierge (Michael) and door staff--all outstanding. Yes, Christopher--we will be back! Hailing a taxi was no problem as well. Any requests we had were met with gracious aplomb.
-We were offered free bottled water as soon as we arrived which was a nice touch for a day of sightseeing.
-The rooms and decor are strikingly gorgeous in a 'beau-nouveau' style, with some modern art added in. The rooms aren't huge, but this IS NYC, and the arrangement gives you a good-sized sitting area, a large bed, and a fantastic shower!
-The shower is fantastic. You know those rain head showers never seem to have enough water pressure. This was the perfect combination of great water pressure and relaxing rainhead shower so you can get de-grimified after a long day of walking.
-The proximity to the Park, Barney's/Bergdorf's, and Museum mile cannot be beat. I challenge anyone to stay in Times Square after they've stayed in this peaceful respite and not choose this side of town again. After all, there are taxis and the subway if you want to get downtown.
-The rooftop garden is a must. It's gorgeous at night for drinks. (try the #20 gin cocktail!)
-Along Lexington there are good breakfast options for a cheap bite on the way to the Met, or you can avail yourself of Boulud cuisine in your room or in the rooftop garden. Also, a great little Italian place (Via quadronno) serves a great morning cappuccino (at 73rd).
-The room was quiet, quiet, quiet. I cannot stress how important this was for me as I'm a light sleeper. So wonderful!
You don't need to debate about here or the Carlyle down the street--stay here!
The only thing I wish I would have tried was the spa, but the Guggenheim, Met, Moma were all too close not to take advantage of. I hope to try the spa next time.

We really enjoyed our stay. We will be back!

1  Thank Westmount
Swadama, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this reviewResponded June 2, 2010

Dear Westmount,

Thank you for choosing the Surrey and for your wonderful comments.

My name is Spencer Wadama, General Manager.

I am excited to read your very detailed review and will gladly share with my staff. We are very fortunate to have some great staff members that really enjoy going above and beyond to personally care for every guest. I am fortunate to work with them.

We look forward to your return and wish you the best.

Reviewed May 29, 2010

I'm not one to write reviews, but I had to about this place. My husband and I went to NYC to celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary. We chose the Surrey as our hotel. I was not disappointed at all. The area is lovely, not far from the sites, but nice and quiet. The room was beautiful. When we arrived in our room, there was a bottle of champagne on ice and a letter congratulating us on our anniversary. The drinks in the bar downstairs were one of the best we have ever had. If I had to make a small complaint it would be the feeling from the wait staff in the bar. Clearly, they serve very wealthy people on a regular basis, I just felt as though they only 'tolerated' us. I was willing to accept that though, since everything else was perfect. I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

Dear Bunny1117,

Thank you for choosing the Surrey and congratulations again on your anniversary.

My name is Spencer Wadama, General Manager. I am delighted to read your comments and glad that we could be a small part of your amazing occasion. Thank you for sharing.

I have shared you comments as well with the Cafe Boulud management team on your bar experience.

I look forward to your return to the Surrey and hope it comes before your 20th anniversary.

My best to you and thank you again.

Reviewed May 28, 2010

My husband and daughter stayed here for her birthday and absolutely loved it!! Easy walk to great restaurants. The rooftop garden was closed for a private event two of the nights, but the first night they had drinks there and had a breakfast there, as well. They thought it was very charming and the perfect place to begin or end the day. I am really looking forward to my turn there.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family

Dear Lulu61,

Thank you for choosing the Surrey and thank you for sahring your review.

My name is Spencer Wadama, General Manager. I am happy to see that your husband and your daughter enjoyed their stay with us. We now look forward to have you come and enjoy as well.

I will gladly share your comments with my team.

Kind regards.

Reviewed May 24, 2010

The Surrey is an excellent small hotel in the stylish upper East Side. Our room was comfortable, well appointed, and extremely quiet! The front desk and all of the Surrey Staff members were very friendly and professional. The on-site Cafe Boulud is marvelous (don't miss Sunday brunch!) , and sitting at the sidewalk tables is a wonderful NYC experience. We are looking forward to our stay at the Surrey.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
Swadama, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this reviewResponded May 25, 2010

Dear Cubfantravels,

Thank you for choosing the Surrey and for posting your experience.

My name is Spencer Wadama, General Manager. I am excited to share your comments with my team and happy to know that we could create a positive impression of our hotel.

We look forward to welcoming you back and wish you the best.

Thank you.

Reviewed May 21, 2010

This is a fantastic boutique hotel that makes you feel very welcome from the moment you walk through the doors until you're in the taxi heading for the airport. We stayed here last week on a very short last minute honeymoon, and received nothing but the best service. Hotels location is also a bonus right off central park. The staff are a credit to the hotel. And the beds are great, best nights sleep i've had in years, very comfortable.

Dear Carrowbane,

Thank you for choosing the Surrey and for taking the time to post a review.

My name is Spencer Wadama, General Manager. I am happy to read your comments and even more so, becasue we could make your special occasion even that much better. I will gladly share with my team.

Congratulations and look forward to being a part of your future anniversaries.

Thank you again.