“Lovely stay, from beginning to end” 5 of 5 stars

The Surrey
Ranked #42 of 479 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
santa barbara
“Lovely stay, from beginning to end”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2010

My husband and I stayed here for a few days and absolutely loved it. The location was perfect. We upgraded to a suite and loved everything about the room. We had a large balcony so we were able to fully enjoy the views. Our room was very well appointed, spotless, and the service from everyone was fantastic. We love staying at smaller properties and were not let down with The Surrey.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
Swadama, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this review, April 22, 2010
Dear 1995sb21,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Surrey and thank you for posting your review.

My name is Spencer Wadama, general Manager. I am happy to read that you enjoyed your stay and experience and will gladly share with my team. I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future and until then, I wish you the best.

Warm regards!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (261)
  • Turkish first
Longwood, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2010

4 stars and 3/4. Excellent hotel in a perfect location. Very helpful staff and concierge services. We spent three nights there and got brilliant dining options from Michael. Lovely decorated. The bed and pillows are very comfortable and the linens are luxurious. Splendid toiletries. We loved the attention to details. The missing 1/4 goes to a missed turn-down service on Saturday; no big deal though. Very serene and relaxing atmosphere. It was a brilliant choice for a special weekend in the Big Apple.

Dear Pleiade98,

Thank you for choosing the Surrey and thank you for your post on your experience.

My name is Spencer Wadama, General Manager. I am delighted you enjoyed the experience and our staff. My apology for the missed turndown, I will address.

I look forward to welcoming you back to NYC and The Surrey in the near future.

All the best.
Scottsdale, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2010

From the moment I arrived after stressful night of canceled flights and taking a train instead, it all melted away when I entered The Surrey. We stayed here on our honeymoon and it was a romantic sweet place.
Its in a nice historic district of Manhattan. The hotel is small and very tastefully artistic. The service is impeccable as the hotel. There is a lovely jazz bar downstairs as well as french restaurant.
Only one more thing honeymooners can ask for though, is it possible to order breakfast anytime of the day? Its a shame it stopped at 10am. :)

• 5 of 5 stars
Swadama, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this review, April 14, 2010
Dear Angelbabylove,

Firstly, no offense to your significant other. (referring to your screename :) )

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Surrey and Thank you for the wonderful comments on your stay.

My name is Spencer Wadama, General Manager. i am delighted to hear that we could be a small part of your romatic weekend and help you overcome your headaches on your trip to New York. I will be happy to share your comments with my team. I do understand and appreciate the comment on breakfast, I will work with Cafe Boulud on trying to make adjustments.

I look forward to your return visit and thank you again for your comments. All the best.
Milford, CT
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2010

Celebrating a special event at The Surrey. Check-in and front desk staff great. Nice UES location for Museum Mile and Mad. Ave shopping. Dinner at Bould's restaraunt was nice, (not spectacular, as with Restaurant Daniel, but very nice and in the Hotel, so who cares?). Michael the concierge resourcefully and graciously came though with a challenging last minute request and saved the day for my dining companion. The Dux beds are great, and the Sferra linens are luxurious. We liked the selection and reasonable tarrifs at the mini bar (although we did not partake). One highlight of our trip for my companion was a chance encounter with two lovely Wire-Haired Fox Terriers getting off of the elevator (We love pet-friendly hotels!). However, a couple of hiccups during our stay knocked a "star" off of the property's rating: Our room was not as expected upon check-in (although this was handled well by the staff). Missed turn-down on a Sat. night- I LOVE turn-down! Had to call twice for towels the next AM. Also, I agree with a previous reviewer who missed some type of brochure in their room (and I thought I was just being nit-pickey!). I did find a spa brochure in the gym, however. Overall, we enjoyed our stay at The Surrey.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 4 of 5 stars
Swadama, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this review, April 12, 2010
Dear Dirigible,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Surrey and Thank you for submitting a review.

My name is Spencer Wadama, General Manager. i am very happy to see that you enjoyed your stay with us and glad that you could experience our wonderful Michael. he truly is a star and we are very fortunate to have him. i am disappointed about the inconsistency of Turndown service and will address with Housekeeping. Thank you for bringing to my attention.

Yes we are very much a dog-friendly hotel, and in fact have a hotel dog. It really is fun and brings a different feel to a hotel.

Looking forward for your return to the Surrey. Please feel free to reach out to me directly and thank you again.
Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2010

Our stay at The Surrey was beyond luxurious and comfortable! After sight-seeing all day, it was magnificent to soak in the marble tub or the double shower and then relax in the superior bedding! Each day, we returned to chocolate-dipped cookies, fresh fruit and comfy slippers waiting at bedside. I have never had such a great night of sleep....EVER! Your staff attended to every need and did so with friendliness, promptness, and most of all, professionalism. They treated us like we were family. They were knowledgable about the city and assisted us with our plans and travel needs....from getting us immediate transportation and restaurant reservations to checking us in at the airport! The suites are extra roomy, stylish and comfortable. My daughter took advantage of an unbelievable massage at the spa. We truly hated to leave! You should be extremely proud of your SUPERIOR staff, property and its reputation for being the BEST in NYC! We will DEFINITELY return.....and I hope SOON! Thank you for the fabulous stay! I highly recommend this hotel for the very BEST stay possible in NYC!

Boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2010

My husband and I stayed at The Surrey for 3 days over a beautiful spring weekend. Could not have chosen a better hotel. The location is perfect, steps away from Central park, right next to Madison Ave and a short walk to many other attractions. The hotel staff were extremely courteous and helpful. The room was the perfect size with good ventilation. The bathroom was amazing. We stayed in a king deluxe room and the bed was one of the best I have slept on. Room service was exemplary as well. Everything about this hotel was outstanding making my birthday weekend that much more special. Thank you and we look forward to visiting NY just so we can stay at The Surrey again!

Swadama, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this review, April 7, 2010
Dear TravelBH,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Surrey and thank you for submitting a note on your experience.

My name is Spencer Wadama, General Manager. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your Surrey experience,hotel and of course location.

I will gladly share your comments with the team.

Thank you again and hope to welcome you back in the near future.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2010

A brand new refurbished hotel, wonderful welcoming service, a world class bar and restaurant on site and a beautiful spring weekend in NYC.
The room on a high floor was nicely furnished, the bathroom luxurious, and the bed with a Duxianna mattress (though not my favorite) is a special attraction.

Having dinner and breakfast at Daniel Boulud Restaurant is worth the trip alone.

The concierge couldn't have been more helpful.

Steps to Central Park and the Metropolitan Museum but only a few minutes from Midtown by car, the Surrey is a "find".