“Fabulous staff” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
Hong Kong, China
“Fabulous staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2014

Ive stayed at The Surrey for twice now, and last time we stayed I was sooooo appreciative of the quality of service from the staff at Surrey. We had lost our cellphone in a cab at 3am, and somehow found the person who picked it up in the cab , and I was so worried that it was going to be at some shady place cuz the person wanted us to pick it up , and the
doorman , Julio, was sooo nice to take us over at 3am!! To pick up the phone!! I was sooooo grateful to him and the rest of the staff. The first time we stayed - we were coming in from Hong Kong- 16 hour flight , so tired and arrived in nyc at 10am (way before the usual check in time), and the receptionist was sooo nice to just let us check in at 10am cuz she knew we had such a long flight . I've stayed at W hotel in NY - and staff at W hotels in NY are so mean and rude , they don't really care about the customers at all. I've also stayed at The Plaza, Peninsula -- but I don't think the level of quality of service of Surrey is just beyond any 5 star hotel. Really appreciate such quality of service and look forward to staying at The Surrey again. !!!!!

1 Thank Christine L
Dear Christine L,

It was a pleasure personally speaking with you regarding your recent experience and I would like to thank you for sharing your feedback on TripAdvisor.

Thank you especially for recognizing Mr. Julio Fernandez, our wonderful Doorman, as well as the team members at Reception from your first stay with us.

We thank you for your continued patronage and advocacy of The Surrey and we look forward to welcoming you back soon to your home away from home. In the interim, I remain at your service.

Assistant General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (278)
  • Turkish first
Chicagp
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2014

I'm in New York frequently and like to stay on the Upper East Side. I've tried all of the smaller hotels in that neighborhood at some point, but since finding The Surrey, I won't shop around anymore. The rooms are really nice without being over the top - neutral colors, comfortable, great bathroom. Cafe Boulud is off the lobby and provides room service. It would be one of my favorite restaurants even if it weren't in the hotel. There's a very nice, quiet bar, although it was closed for a private event one night, and a terrific roof deck. The location is perfect - right off Central Park and walking distance to the Whitney and Met. The best thing about the hotel, however, is the staff. Everyone I encountered was unusually pleasant, efficient and helpful.

Room Tip: Rooms on the lower floor on the Madison Avenue side can be a little noisy in the morning.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Dear Barbara B,

Thank you for taking the time to share such gracious feedback on TripAdvisor. We are honored that we have become your hotel of choice in New York City.

I am delighted that we exceeded your expectations from our idyllic Upper East Side location with close proximity to Central Park and Museum Mile and inspiring Lauren Rottet design, to the culinary delights on Michelin starred Café Boulud and innovative libations of Coco Chanel inspired Bar Pleiades.

We pride ourselves on the personalized and intuitive service provided by our team members and I am thrilled that we were successful in achieving this with you.

New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2014

I love this hotel, but on my last 2 stays there the bar and restaurant were closed for private events. When I complained to the manager, they said that I could order a drink in my room. Personally, I do not want to have an after dinner drink in my room or have to eat alone in my room. I feel it is a basic amenity to have a bar and restaurant open to guests. After all, it is not a B & B

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

2 Thank Mrs. Wendy L
Dear Mrs. Wendy L,

Thank you for sharing your candid feedback from your recent stays with us.

I would like to extend my most sincere apologies that we were unsuccessful in offering more attractive alternatives for your dining experience while Café Boulud and Bar Pleiades were closed for private events. Rest assured that your feedback has been taken in the spirit intended and I have shared your comments with our entire team in hopes of preventing future such occurrences.

New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2014

My husband was at a local hospital and this hotel was wonderful! The hotel was able to accommodate me at the last minute and the staff was superb. I did dine in the cafe, the food and service was fantastic. Would love to stay again for pleasure.

Stayed May 2014, traveled solo

Dear Lisa L,

Thank you for sharing such gracious feedback from your recent experience with us.

I am delighted that our team members were so diligent in assisting you during your stay.

I concur that Michelin starred Café Boulud is one of our most special attributes and I am thrilled that you enjoyed their culinary delights.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon and in the interim, I remain at your service.

South Pole
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2014

My last stay in a hotel in NYC was a nightmare, so I wanted to rent an apartment for this trip. Unfortunately that did not work out, so just days before our departure I had to find a hotel. It was not really my intention to go 5*, but the choice was limited.
I was not disappointed by the Surrey. The room was very spacious, the bed excellent, even though I did not quite understand how they make the bed (first a sheet and thin blanket, which is too cold, and then a heavy duvet, which in combination with the blanket makes it too warm). The bathroom is quite large for NYC standards and oh that shower...... as if standing in the Niagara falls - not that I've ever stood in there, but I can imagine it must be like that. Very, very good!
Housekeeping could have been a bit more attentive in restocking the bathroom supplies.
We had a room in the back, so not much of a view, but also no street-noise, which I know can be loud in NYC during the night.
The location, close to Central Park, The Met, the Guggenheim and not too far from the subway is also excellent.

My only complaint is that here, as well as in other hotels, you have to pay extra for wifi in the room. I can imagine that that was common practise a few years ago, but since this is 2014 I really, really think that wifi should be included in the price of the room. It's like asking if you'd like a tv in the room. For me it's pretty standard now, so please.....

1 Thank Lotsofpeppers
Dear Lotsofpeppers,

Thank you for sharing your feedback from your recent stay with us.

I am delighted that you enjoyed our idyllic Upper East Side location with close proximity to Central Park and Museum Mile and that our spacious guest accommodations, custom Duxiana bedding and oversized glass enclosed showers exceeded your expectations.

Despite these highlights, I would like to extend my most sincere apologies that you did not enjoy our Sferra linens and duvet and that we failed to diligently restock your bathroom amenities. Rest assured that your feedback has been taken in the spirit intended and I have shared your comments with Mr. Erik Wood, Director of Housekeeping, in hopes of preventing future such occurrences.

I would like to also apologize for annoyance caused by our internet pricing. Kindly note that the pricing is in keeping with the standards set by our neighboring hotels.

New York City
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2014

I recently spent a week at The Surrey while I was moving and my new Manhattan apartment was not yet ready. it truly became my home away from home! The service was impeccable and the staff went out of their way to make me feel comfortable and help me when i had to extend my stay ( twice). The room service was terrific after long tiring days, and so were the gym and the spa. The Surrey has a European, chic feeling about it and, for me, it is located in the best neighborhood. I would warmly recommend it to friends and to visitors who want a true Upper East Side experience in New York City.

Room Tip: Higher floors and corner rooms get the best light and view
1 Thank Manuela G
Dear Manuela G,

Thank you for sharing such gracious feedback from your recent one week stay with us.

I am delighted that you enjoyed our idyllic Upper East Side location and that our In-Room Dining provided by Michelin starred Café Boulud and fitness center exceeded your expectations. I concur that Cornelia Spa is one of our most special attributes and provides the utmost tranquil treatments.

Thank you especially for recognizing the warm and gracious service provided by our team members.

We truly appreciate your advocacy of The Surrey and word of mouth recommendations. We look forward to welcoming you back soon to your home away from home and in the interim, I remain at your service.

Scottsdale, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2014

For our 27th wedding anniversary and attending the James Beards Awards ceremony, we knew we needed more than any ordinary hotel. The Surrey lived up to its name and more. Beautiful flowers in the room upon arriving and champagne on our anniversary day. Rachel Leyland, Guest Relations Manager, went out of her way to make us feel special every day. The staff were professional and yet friendly. We would go back in a heartbeat.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

1 Thank n_johnston
Dear n_johnston,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on TripAdvisor. We are truly honored to have been part of your special anniversary celebration.

We pride ourselves on providing our guests with warm, gracious and caring service delivery and I am thrilled that our entire team was successful in achieving this with you. Thank you especially for recognizing Ms. Rachel Leyland, Guest Relations Manager, for the exceptional service she extended to you.