“As good as it gets in NYC”
Review of The Surrey

The Surrey
Ranked #79 of 467 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Winnipeg, Canada
“As good as it gets in NYC”
Reviewed February 21, 2014

We have stayed in a number of New York's best hotels and this one is our favourite for several reasons. The location is perfect for people who want to be away from the tourist traps of New York, but close to culture, museums, good shopping, and great restaurants. The rooms are lovely with excellent beds, linens, and decor. The staff is wonderful, but Pablo's warmth was a particular highlight. We were celebrating a special occasion and The Surrey contributed to a fantastic visit to New York.

We look forward to returning!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Keats575
skanagasingham, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this review, February 27, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback from your recent stay at The Surrey. We are honored to have been part of your special occasion.

I am delighted that you enjoyed our idyllic and tranquil Upper East Side location with close proximity to Museum Mile, famed Madison Avenue shopping and world renowned restaurants.

We are so pleased that our spacious guest accommodations, custom Duxiana bedding, Sferra linens and inspiring Lauren Rottet design exceeded your expectations.

We pride ourselves on providing our guests with personalized, genuine and intuitive service delivery and I am thrilled that our entire team, most notably Mr Pablo Castro, our wonderful Doorman, was successful in achieving this with you.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon and in the interim, I remain at your service.

Shan Kanagasingham

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (300)
  • Turkish first
Reviewed February 19, 2014

Fantastic service and luxurious accomodations. Perfect for a romantic weekend in the city. Despite a hiccup in the reservation system regarding room type, the staff quickly made up for the inconvienence and the stay was an overall great experience.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

1 Thank Mr. Jeffrey R
skanagasingham, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this review, February 21, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback from your recent stay with us. I hope you left us more in love than when you arrived.

I am delighted that you enjoyed our spacious guest accommodations and I am truly pleased to learn that our team was successful in extending gracious and caring service to you despite the initial inconvenience with your room type availability.

Oklahoma
Reviewed February 17, 2014

This lovely hotel was PERFECT in every way. Fabulous staff & service. Rooms were outstanding....bed was so comfortable, linens were exquisite, bathroom was large with 2 sinks, beautiful Pratesi robes were provided as well. And rooms were extremely quiet. Fantastic room service & food was delicious. I want to mention Pablo & Koko, 2 employees that made our stay even better. It snowed a great deal during our visit. One particularly snowy day, with the best attitudes, they helped us either to the hotel car or got us a cab & made sure we didn't slip or fall. Raj from room service was also super. And to top it off, the hotel sent a lovely complimentary appetizer to Felidia's for us to enjoy on Sat night. We will return to this gem of a hotel on our next visit.

Room Tip: We were on 4th floor near elevator but very quiet. THE only downside was not a great view but that w...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank ASC1630
skanagasingham, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this review, February 19, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing such gracious feedback from your recent stay with us.

I am delighted that you enjoyed our tranquil guest accommodations featuring custom Duxiana bedding, Sferra linens and Pratesi robes and that our spacious bathrooms with double sinks exceeded your expectations.

I concur that In-Room Dining provided by Michelin starred Café Boulud is one of our most special amenities.

Thank you especially for recognizing our entire team, most notably Mr Pablo Castro and Mr Koko Latt, our wonderful Doormen and Mr Rajibur Chowdhury, In-Room Dining Server for the warm and gracious service extended to you. I am so proud to learn that our team was so successful in contributing to a memorable stay. I have shared your feedback with our team who were thrilled by your most gracious praises.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon to your home away from home and in the interim, I remain at your service.

Reviewed February 17, 2014

I think The Surrey is a truly extraordinary hotel in all respects. The furnishings in the rooms are of the highest degree, feels more like my home than a hotel. The staff are all very helpful and friendly and not at all arrogant. I really enjoyed every encounter I had with the staff. The Surrey is an amazing hotel that combines luxury, location, comfort, design and friendliness. Well done to you !

1 Thank Mr. Bret M
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share such gracious praises from your recent stay at The Surrey. I am delighted that you felt at home and comfortable while staying with us.

We are truly honored to have exceeded your expectations in so many regards from our idyllic Upper East Side location to our inspiring Lauren Rottet design.

We pride ourselves on providing our guests with personalized, intuitive and gracious service delivery and I am thrilled to learn that our entire team was successful in achieving this with you.

San francisco
Reviewed February 16, 2014

Today is my first day at the Surrey for this stay; I've stayed a few times in the past. I'm writing this based solely on my spa experience today.

I arrived for my 9am facial and it began around 9:08 am. I was ready for a relaxing experience when the unimaginable happened: the therapist began to touch my face and her fingers reeked of garlic! Then, she breathed over me (as is customary in a facial)...and it smelled like she had just eaten raw cloves of garlic. I was nauseated. I spent the next 45 minutes (it was supposed to he 60) trying to avoid her breath. It was stressful and disgusting. I would've complained that I was shorted 15 minutes, but I was grateful for it to end so I could breathe again.

I'm really upset about this - so one star from me.

• Stayed February 2014
2 Thank Tapitback
Dear Guest,

Firstly, please allow me to say thank you for taking the time to share your candid feedback from your recent experience at Cornelia Spa.

I was truly disheartened to learn that your experience was not in keeping with our standards of service excellence and we fell short of your expectations. I have shared your experience with Ms Magdaleena Nikolov, Director of Spa, who was devastated when she learned of your experience.

Please feel free to call on me directly at 646.358.3605 as we would love the opportunity to restore your trust and faith in us. I hope this experience has not marred your overall impression of The Surrey.

I look forward to hearing from you and in the interim, I remain at your service.

Florida
Reviewed February 14, 2014

I checked in last Friday and checked out on Sunday. Staff, check in, spot on great. The room was great, shower, wow. We ordered breakfast room service 2 days in a row and it was great. My eggs on the crab benedict were actually runny, there is a surprise, normally hard. And the guys that delivered were so friendly. Concierge got me a last minute lunch reservation at Cafe Boulud, but that's another story.

The door was opened for me every time I left the hotel. Amazing.

I asked for a Times on Sunday morning and they brought it up so quickly.

Only one complaint, the daily internet charge per device. Oh boy I have 3. So fine, you want to charge, that's OK, but I could only order for a 24 hour period at a time. Could I put in an order for my stay based on my reservation? Saturday night in the middle of the night I had to reup my subscription because it ran out.

I didn't want to sign up for a week because I was only staying for 2 nights. But I don't want to have to reup each 24 hour period per all my devices. Ugh. Inconvenient.

Oh well, a great hotel and I can't wait to return.

1 Thank KateJ8
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback from your recent stay with us.

I am delighted that we exceeded your expectations from our spacious guest accommodations and incredible showers to the arrival experience and In-Room Dining breakfast provided by Michelin starred Café Boulud.

Thank you especially for recognizing our team members, most notably our Concierge and Doormen for the exceptional service they extended to you.

Despite these highlights, I would like to extend my most sincere apologies for the inconvenience you experienced due to our options for wireless internet. At this time our internet services are only available for the periods of 24 hours, seven days or 30 days. Rest assured your comments have been taken in the spirit intended and we will be sure to take your feedback into consideration as we periodically improve on our services.

I truly hope that this has not marred your overall impression of us and we look forward to welcoming you back soon. In the interim, I remain at your service.

Reviewed February 13, 2014

I just returned from NYC and couldn't be happier about my stay at The Surrey. Everything from it's perfect location, friendly staff, impeccable service, sublime food, fabulous room, and their uber dog friendly policy has officially made this my hotel of choice. Can't wait to go back!!

1 Thank Ms. Tara M
skanagasingham, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this review, February 14, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your most gracious praises from your recent stay at The Surrey. We are truly honored to have become your choice hotel in New York City.

I am delighted that we exceeded your expectations in so many ways from our idyllic Upper East Side location to our warm, genuine and friendly service provided by our team members.

I concur that the culinary delights from Michelin starred Café Boulud are sublime.

We are proud to offer our Posh Pets Program providing special amenities for our four-legged guests.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon to your new home away from home and in the interim, I remain at your service.