“The last word in Customer Service” 5 of 5 bubbles

The Surrey
Ranked #54 of 467 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
London, United Kingdom
“The last word in Customer Service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 23, 2013

Recently had a fantastic stay at The Surrey and could not recommend it more highly. Prior to my stay I was sent an e-form to fill out with the option of stating if it was a special occasion. It was, so a free bottle of champagne was brought to my room with a note from the manager.
All of the staff, from the concierge and manager to the maid or doorman, were very friendly and helpful. The drive for customer service permeates the whole establishment.
The decor is 'modern cool' without being hipster pretentious. You know they are doing something right when a fairly sizeable bill feels like great value for money. I would go back to New York just to stay there.

3 Thank Edward_S-Lockhart
skanagasingham, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this review, December 31, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience from your recent stay at The Surrey. We are honored to have been part of your special occasion.

I am delighted that the personalized and intuitive service provided by our team members exceeded your expectations and that you found our passion for guest service noteworthy.

I concur that our inspiring Lauren Rottet design is one of our most special attributes.

We truly appreciate your continued advocacy and look forward to welcoming you back when your travels next bring you to New York.

Shan Kanagasingham

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (281)
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 23, 2013

The Surrey hotel is a wonderful choice for a visit to NYC.It is upscale, and in a great location.From the moment you arrive are greeted by a fabulous staff, and they cant do enough to accommodate you..You feel welcomed and relaxed..

The accomodations are top notch, as is the comfortable bedding and amenities in the room.The dining is also a not to miss, and you must experience.

All the Couples were talking about how wonderful the spa experience was, and what a great choice for a special evening..

Hands down the Surrey is the place to stay for your viait to NYC

Room Tip: request a room with Park View
2 Thank carol r
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback from your recent stay with us.

I am thrilled that we exceeded your expectations from our idyllic Upper East Side location and spacious guest accommodations to our custom Duxiana bedding and dining provided by Michelin star Café Boulud.

We concur that the services provided in Cornelia Spa are our most special amenities.

Thank you especially for shining a light on the service provided by our team members. I am so proud to lean that you felt welcomed and relaxed during your stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon to your home away from home and in the interim, I remain at your service.

Napa, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2013

Stayed here Sept 8-11. What a great hotel. We loved the roof top terrace, the concierge team with a can-do attitude, the beautifully appointed rooms with Nespresso machines, and it's five blocks from the Metropolitan Museum of Art. We stayed in a corner king room #1009. Away from the crowds, in an attractive neighborhood. Great value. I have stayed at the W in Union Square but this is now the only place I will stay in NYC. Great restaurants and shopping nearby. Love it all.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MissIvNapa
skanagasingham, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this review, December 23, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your most gracious feedback from your stay with us. I am so pleased that you have become a fan of The Surrey.

I am delighted that our tranquil Upper East Side location was convenient for you with close proximity to the Metropolitan Museum of Art, famed Madison Avenue shopping and world renowned restaurants.

I am thrilled that you enjoyed our spacious guest accommodations featuring an inspiring design by Lauren Rottet.

I concur that our Private Roof Garden is one of our most special features. We look forward to Spring when the Private Roof Garden will be available to all our guests.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon and in the interim, I remain at your service.

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2013

Just completed a two nights' "Christmas Season" stay at the Surrey. Couldn't have been happier. Great location - great service - beautiful room - not sure what else you could want. Was my wife's birthday and we were sent a complimentary bottle of champagne. Concierge was very helpful, booked us in to a great local Italian restaurant - and arranged for a dessert for us - "Compliments of your Concierge". Great area for walking and shopping. Handy to Central Park - can even walk to Radio City Music Hall and Rockefeller Center - if you like walking and can handle a 25-30 minute stroll. All in all, a wonderful time and it will likely be our "place to stay" in New York when we go there.

Gary Rabbior

Room Tip: Best to have a room higher up and over-looking 76th Street. It is New York after all - the city tha...
1 Thank Gary R
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking a moment to share your feedback from your recent stay at The surrey. We are thrilled to have been part of your special birthday trip.

I am so delighted that you enjoyed our idyllic Upper East Side location with close proximity to Central Park and famed Madison Avenue shopping. I concur that it is a lovely stroll along Central Park to Midtown’s most popular destinations.

I concur that our inspiring Lauren Rottet design is one of our most special features.

We pride ourselves on providing our guests with personalized and intuitive service delivery and I am so pleased to learn that our entire team, most notably the Concierge was successful in achieving this with you.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon as we have become your “place to stay” in New York and in the interim, I remain at your service.

New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2013

I've stayed in many hotels in mid-town and uptown and this ranks near the top. I like the smaller feel of the property and the decor is stylish, fresh and reminds me of the Berkley Hotel in London. It has a very residential, clubby feel. The rooms and bathrooms are relatively large and well laid out and the showers are exceptionally satisfying, with terrific water pressure. Perhaps the best feature is the Duxiana beds. Hard to find a more comfortable bed anywhere. The location can't be beat if you like the Upper East Side. If sensitive to noise, ask for a room that doesn't front on Madison.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business

1 Thank Mr. Richard M
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback from your recent experience at The Surrey. We are truly humbled to be ranked as one of your top hotels in New York.

I am delighted that you enjoyed our idyllic Upper East Side location and that we remind you of another gem of a hotel across the pond.

We are so pleased that we exceeded your expectations from the inspiring Lauren Rottet design and spacious guest accommodations to the custom Duxiana bedding. We continue to receive positive feedback regarding our water pressure.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2013

Perfect setting for a romantic stay in NYC. Wonderful staff and beautiful rooms. Hotel is conveniently located for many shops & restaurants. Room service from Cafe Boulud is always prepared perfectly.

1 Thank p911p968
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing such gracious feedback from your recent stay with us. We are so pleased that you left us a little more in love than when you arrived.

I am so pleased that you enjoyed our idyllic Upper East Side location with close proximity to famed Madison Avenue shopping and world renowned restaurants.

We are delighted to have exceeded your expectations from our Lauren Rottet designed guest accommodations to the genuine service provided by our team members.

I concur that In-Room Dining provided by Michelin Star Café Bould is one of our most special amenities.

Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2013

My stay at the Surrey was absolutely horrible, I was grossly overcharged for the limousine service which the concierge arranged for me, instead of 4 hours I was charged 5.5 hours which, at $98 per hour, is $147 USD extra! We had already tipped the chauffeur a generous $60 when we left the car so I have no idea as to why he (John) felt the need to overcharge us by an extra hour and a half. The concierge was not helpful at all with the over billing, I asked to speak to the chauffeur and he was unable to be contacted, so I requested that the security cameras be checked to see the time we left and came back to the hotel - none of this was done, I was still overcharged, absolutely disgusting, never staying at this hotel again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

1 Thank Ms. Diana W
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback from your recent stay at The Surrey.

I am truly disappointed to learn that your experience did not meet your expectations. Please accept my sincerest apologies for the oversight of being overcharged for the chauffeured vehicle service. I would like to confirm that we have refunded this amount back to your credit card.

This is truly not indicative of the service levels we pride ourselves on. Please know that your feedback has been taken in the spirit intended and I have shared your comments with Mr Petar Krstic, Director of Front Office, so that we may improve our services.

I also understand that Mr Krstic has reached out to you via telephone in efforts to apologize directly to you.

We look forward to restoring your trust and faith in us and truly look forward to welcoming you back soon. In the interim, I remain at your service.