“Best trendy hotel in the upper east side by far!!!!”
Review of The Surrey

The Surrey
Ranked #87 of 470 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed December 11, 2013

Awesome service from a boutique hotel, very stylish décor & attentive service‎. The roof is breathtaking and the beds couldn't be more comfortable.
I'm a huge fan of the hotel!!! I'd like to live there.

Room Tip: The suites are amazing!
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Sid W
skanagasingham, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this reviewResponded December 12, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking a moment to share your feedback from your recent stay with us.

I am so pleased that you enjoyed our inspiring Lauren Rottet design and custom Duxiana bedding.

I concur that our Private Roof Garden is delightful from the breathtaking views of the Upper East Side to the handcrafted cocktails. We look forward to Spring when the Private Roof Garden will be available to all our guests.

Thank you especially for shining a light on the attentive service provided by our entire team. I am so proud to learn that we continue to exceed your expectations.

We wish you a most enjoyable holiday season and look forward to welcoming you back soon to your home away from home. In the interim, I remain at your service.

Shan Kanagasingham

Write a ReviewReviews (1,916)

Reviewed December 10, 2013

Weather prevented us from staying at the Surrey - but up to our trip and even when I had to cancel everyone at the Surrey - most especially Michael the Concierge - were extremely helpful, pleasant and proactive. I wish we could have been there - but when we were not able to be the Surrey was a pleasure to deal with and I will certainly stay there on my next trip.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing such gracious praises regarding the service provided to you. I am so sorry to hear that your travel plans changed due to the inclement weather.

I am so proud to learn that our entire team, most notably Michael, our wonderful Concierge, was successful in ensuring that your needs were taken care of and seamlessly assisted you in canceling your reservation.

We wish you a most enjoyable holiday season and look forward to welcoming you in the near future. In the interim, I remain at your service.

Reviewed December 10, 2013

The staff at The Surrey are great and really make a short stay very special. They are all very efficient and friendly, down to the Concierge accommodating our changing brunch plans with good cheer, to her offer of her own and her colleagues headwear before I went off for a run. The only drawback is the traffic noise so next time we will go for a higher floor. Great location for entry to the park, to see the museums and for crowd-free shopping. Will return.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank NettyPoole

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback from your recent stay at The Surrey.

I am delighted that you enjoyed our idyllic Upper East Side location with close proximity to Central Park, Museum Mile and famed Madison Avenue shopping.

We pride ourselves on providing our guests with thoughtful, personalized and genuine service delivery and I am so pleased to learn that our entire team, most notably our Concierge Team, was successful in achieving this with you.

Despite these highlights, I would like to extend my most sincere apologies for the inconvenience you experienced due to the exterior noise pollution. Please feel free to call me directly at 646.358.3605 so I may learn of your details so I may update your preference for a high floor accordingly.

We wish you a most enjoyable holiday season and look forward to welcoming you back soon. In the interim, I remain at your service.

Reviewed December 9, 2013

I wanted to find a private terrace with a NYC skyline view on which to propose to my fiancé. A hotel was an obvious solution, and the The Surrey turned out to be the best choice. I made an appointment with the hotel to check out the 14th floor suite's private terrace to ensure the view was spectacular. The view was breathtaking and I could relax since I nailed down a critical aspect of the engagement.

Rachel coordinated with me to set up the room in advance of our arrival. Everything was perfect. When we checked in and they walked us to the elevator, they used a key to access our floor, which I thought was strange because I visited the hotel a few weeks prior and I didn't require a key to access the 14th floor. Turns out, we were silently upgraded to the penthouse suite, which surprised both of us!

The room was huge and spotless, comfortable and contemporary. Since we were only there one night, we didn't get to enjoy all the features of the room, but it has everything you might want from a kitchen to a whirlpool to a sound system. The wraparound terrace was unbelievable and contributed to a more romantic and impressive engagement proposal than either of us could have imagined.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
skanagasingham, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this reviewResponded December 23, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing such gracious feedback from your recent stay with us. We are truly honored that we were a part of your most special engagement.

I am so delighted that you enjoyed our spacious Penthouse Suite and the amenities in the room, including the kitchen, whirlpool and sound system, exceeded your expectations. We concur that the wrap-around terrace and lends to views that are truly breathtaking.

Thank you especially for shining a light on the personalized and intuitive service delivery provided by our team members, most notably Ms Rachel Leyland, Guest Relations Manager. I am thrilled that she was so successful in assisting you to ensure all details were to perfection.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon, perhaps to celebrate your honeymoon.

In the interim, I remain at your service.

Reviewed December 8, 2013

The hotel was perfect . Met all of our expectations ,staff was wonderful ,the room and amenities were great . . The bed was comfortable and the air conditioner actually responded to our desired setting . They treated us like they really cared about our stay

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Thank Mr. Robert A
skanagasingham, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this reviewResponded December 20, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback from your recent experience at The Surrey.

I am delighted that your guest accommodations exceeded your expectations from our custom Duxiana bedding and Mitchel & Peach amenities to the responsive cooling system.

We pride ourselves on providing our guests with genuine and personalized service delivery and I am so delighted that our entire team was successful in achieving this with you.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon. In the interim, I remain at your service.

Reviewed December 7, 2013

A top notch small hotel between fifth and Madison, the Surrey is sophisticated and beautifully appointed. The rooms are a good size, with a high standard of decoration. There is a great bar, a Fantastic restaurant and a spa. It is stones throw from museums, shopping and great restaurants.
It is a real oasis in a big busy city.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Desi S

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your most gracious feedback from your recent stay with us.

I am delighted that you enjoyed our tranquil Upper East Side location with close proximity to museum mile, famed Madison Avenue shopping and world renowned restaurants.

We are thrilled that our inspiring Lauren Rottet design and spacious guest accommodations exceeded your expectations.

I am so pleased to learn that you enjoyed the innovative libations and culinary delights at both Coco Chanel inspired Bar Pleiades and Michelin starred Café Boulud. I concur that treatments at Cornelia Spa are truly soothing.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon and in the interim, I remain at your service.

Reviewed December 1, 2013

Rooms are lovely (with great beds and fabulous bathrooms!), service is absolutely excellent, and location is perfect - quiet, residential neighborhood yet very close to museums, shopping, and everything else you want in NYC. A home away from home in the city. Expensive but if you can afford it this hotel is a find.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank NYC-Picky77
skanagasingham, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this reviewResponded December 6, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking a moment to share your feedback from your recent visit with us.

I am delighted that your guest accommodations exceeded your expectations from the inspiring Lauren Rottet design to the custom Duxiana bedding.

I am also pleased that you enjoyed our tranquil Upper East Side location with close proximity to museum mile and famed Madison Avenue shopping.

Thank you especially for recognizing the service provided by our team members. They continue to be our pride and joy.