“Perfect Engagement”

GreenLeadersSilver level
New York City, New York
“Perfect Engagement”
Reviewed December 9, 2013

I wanted to find a private terrace with a NYC skyline view on which to propose to my fiancé. A hotel was an obvious solution, and the The Surrey turned out to be the best choice. I made an appointment with the hotel to check out the 14th floor suite's private terrace to ensure the view was spectacular. The view was breathtaking and I could relax since I nailed down a critical aspect of the engagement.

Rachel coordinated with me to set up the room in advance of our arrival. Everything was perfect. When we checked in and they walked us to the elevator, they used a key to access our floor, which I thought was strange because I visited the hotel a few weeks prior and I didn't require a key to access the 14th floor. Turns out, we were silently upgraded to the penthouse suite, which surprised both of us!

The room was huge and spotless, comfortable and contemporary. Since we were only there one night, we didn't get to enjoy all the features of the room, but it has everything you might want from a kitchen to a whirlpool to a sound system. The wraparound terrace was unbelievable and contributed to a more romantic and impressive engagement proposal than either of us could have imagined.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
skanagasingham, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this review, December 23, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing such gracious feedback from your recent stay with us. We are truly honored that we were a part of your most special engagement.

I am so delighted that you enjoyed our spacious Penthouse Suite and the amenities in the room, including the kitchen, whirlpool and sound system, exceeded your expectations. We concur that the wrap-around terrace and lends to views that are truly breathtaking.

Thank you especially for shining a light on the personalized and intuitive service delivery provided by our team members, most notably Ms Rachel Leyland, Guest Relations Manager. I am thrilled that she was so successful in assisting you to ensure all details were to perfection.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon, perhaps to celebrate your honeymoon.

In the interim, I remain at your service.

Shan Kanagasingham

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (292)
  • Turkish first
New York
Reviewed December 8, 2013

The hotel was perfect . Met all of our expectations ,staff was wonderful ,the room and amenities were great . . The bed was comfortable and the air conditioner actually responded to our desired setting . They treated us like they really cared about our stay

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank Mr. Robert A
skanagasingham, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this review, December 20, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback from your recent experience at The Surrey.

I am delighted that your guest accommodations exceeded your expectations from our custom Duxiana bedding and Mitchel & Peach amenities to the responsive cooling system.

We pride ourselves on providing our guests with genuine and personalized service delivery and I am so delighted that our entire team was successful in achieving this with you.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon. In the interim, I remain at your service.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 7, 2013

A top notch small hotel between fifth and Madison, the Surrey is sophisticated and beautifully appointed. The rooms are a good size, with a high standard of decoration. There is a great bar, a Fantastic restaurant and a spa. It is stones throw from museums, shopping and great restaurants.
It is a real oasis in a big busy city.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Desi S
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your most gracious feedback from your recent stay with us.

I am delighted that you enjoyed our tranquil Upper East Side location with close proximity to museum mile, famed Madison Avenue shopping and world renowned restaurants.

We are thrilled that our inspiring Lauren Rottet design and spacious guest accommodations exceeded your expectations.

I am so pleased to learn that you enjoyed the innovative libations and culinary delights at both Coco Chanel inspired Bar Pleiades and Michelin starred Café Boulud. I concur that treatments at Cornelia Spa are truly soothing.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon and in the interim, I remain at your service.

New York City, New York
Reviewed December 1, 2013

Rooms are lovely (with great beds and fabulous bathrooms!), service is absolutely excellent, and location is perfect - quiet, residential neighborhood yet very close to museums, shopping, and everything else you want in NYC. A home away from home in the city. Expensive but if you can afford it this hotel is a find.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank NYC-Picky77
skanagasingham, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this review, December 6, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking a moment to share your feedback from your recent visit with us.

I am delighted that your guest accommodations exceeded your expectations from the inspiring Lauren Rottet design to the custom Duxiana bedding.

I am also pleased that you enjoyed our tranquil Upper East Side location with close proximity to museum mile and famed Madison Avenue shopping.

Thank you especially for recognizing the service provided by our team members. They continue to be our pride and joy.

Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed November 29, 2013

I stayed here for my wedding night. We stayed one night and paid for a deluxe room and got a very reasonable rate. After that Michelle from guest relations REALLY hooked us up. We were upgraded to a deluxe 2 room suite and they even put the effort to shower the reaaally comfortable bed with rose petals and delivered a complimentary glass of champagne. The rooms are really beautiful. the next day we had a couples massage at their spa. Very relaxing spa, a but pricey, but that is to be expected at any NYC Hotel.
Overall, very classy hotel in a very classy location. Would definitely recommend again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Albert M
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback from your recent stay at The Surrey. I am so delighted that we could be part of your most special occasion.

I am thrilled that you enjoyed your suite accommodations with our inspiring Lauren Rottet design and custom Duxiana bedding.

We pride ourselves on providing our guests with personalized and gracious service delivery and I am so pleased to learn that our entire team, most notably Ms Michelle Paredes, Guest Relations Coordinator, was successful in achieving this with you. I have shared your feedback with Michelle who was thrilled by your most gracious praises.

I am so happy that you enjoyed your couples massage in Cornelia Spa and found the experience to be very relaxing. Our spa is definitely one of our best features.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon to celebrate your anniversary. In the interim, I remain at your service.

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Reviewed November 26, 2013

An excellent boutique hotel with an excellent location, between Madison and Fifth Avenue. Have a wonderful, very friendly and attentive to all your requests staff. First-class restaurant with rich wine list, plus a bar with interesting jazz concerts. If you are looking for something with prime quality, these is one of the best hotels in Manhattan.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank mfaco
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback from your recent experience at The Surrey.

I am delighted that you enjoyed our idyllic Upper East Side location.

We pride ourselves on providing our guests with personalized service delivery and I am so pleased that our entire team has achieved this with you.

I am thrilled that you enjoyed the culinary delights and extensive wine list of Michelin Star Café Boulud as well as Coco Chanel inspired Bar Pleiades.

Devon
Reviewed November 23, 2013

The most comfortable bed ever! A very smart hotel in a great location. We were on the 12th floor, so no noise from the traffic outside. The room was spacious and very clean and the bathroom well stocked.
The staff were very helpful, just one issue with the female concierge. She suggested the Hotel car take us out to dinner one evening and promised to book it. We think she forgot, as it didn't arrive and she seem flustered when we asked what had happened. She apologised and made excuses, instead of just being truthful. We walked to the restaurant instead despite the chilly evening.
The entrance really needs a revolving door, as the lobby felt cold because of the weather as the doors are constantly being opened and closed.

Room Tip: Higher rooms - less Street noise
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank DevonShirley
skanagasingham, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this review, November 25, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your candid feedback regarding your recent stay with us.

We are delighted you enjoyed our custom-designed Duxiana bed and that your spacious and quiet guest accommodations exceeded expectations.

Despite these highlights, please allow me to extend my sincerest apologies for the lapse you experienced with our complimentary house car. This service is available on a first come, first serve basis to all guests and may not be reserved; I truly regret that there was a misunderstanding regarding the protocol of this service. I have discussed this incident with our Concierge team in detail so we may prevent a repeat occurrence. I am deeply sorry and hope this incident has not marred your overall impression of The Surrey.

I would appreciate the opportunity to discuss your experience further, whenever your schedule may permit. Please feel free to contact me by e-mail at shan.kanagasingham@thesurrey.com or by phone at 646.358.3605.

In the interim, I remain at your service and look forward to welcoming you back.