“Best Boutique Hotel in New York City!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Surrey

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
The Surrey
Ranked #54 of 467 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
West Coast
“Best Boutique Hotel in New York City!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2013

NYC is my second home and for years I have been a guest at The Surrey. Not sure how but Shan delivers consistent luxury - every time! One of the best boutique hotels in the US! To me a better option than a pied-a-terre!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business

2 Thank Mr. Livio S
skanagasingham, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this review, November 26, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking a moment to share your gracious feedback about your frequent stays with us.

I was delighted to learn that you consider our Lauren Rottet-designed accommodations to be a second home and that you rank The Surrey amongst the best boutique hotels in the United States.

We pride ourselves on providing our guests with intuitive, personalized and gracious service delivery and I am pleased that we have consistently provided you with an excellent guest experience.

We look forward to welcoming you back to your home away from home. In the interim, I remain at your service.

Shan Kanagasingham

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (281)
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2013 via mobile

Just 1 minute walk to Central Park and at the corner with Madison, it provides an excellent location at a convenient price compared to the other five star hotels in the area. Food is excellent, Cafe' Bouloud probably serves the best breakfast in a NY hotel and same food is delivered as room service and the Pleiades bar. Great concierge service, helpful and always available. Rooms are big and full of light so you do not get that cabin fever feeling.

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Simona H
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience at The Surrey.

I am delighted that you enjoyed our ideally situated Upper East Side location on Madison Avenue, just steps from Central Park. We are also happy that you had the opportunity to experience the culinary delights of Michelin Star Café Boulud and Coco Chanel inspired Bar Pleiades.

I am so proud to learn that our Les Clef D’Or Concierge team exceeded your expectations by providing consistent and helpful service delivery. It was wonderful to hear that you found our Lauren Rottet designed accommodations both spacious and full of light.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon and in the interim, I remain at your service.

Newcastle, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2013

We were lucky enough to win a weekend in The Surrey and were blown away by just how helpful the staff were, especially Pablo. The bar and the restaurant service/food etc were excellent and i had a great treatment in the Spa with Zaharenia. The room was perfect and the Egyptian cotton bedding was divine! I especially liked the art/fashion books in the rooms and spa. The artwork in the lobby was fabulous - especially the Kate Moss portrait. Would love to come back next year to experience it all again!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Debbietravel33
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback from your recent experience at The Surrey.

We pride ourselves on providing our guests with personalized and intuitive service delivery and I am delighted that our entire team, most notably Mr. Pablo Castro, our wonderful doorman and Ms. Zaharenia Mouzakitis, our skilled Esthetician, provided you with an exceptional experience.

I am thrilled that you enjoyed our inspiring Lauren Rottet design and that our custom Duxiana bedding and Sferra linens exceeded your expectations.

I concur that that the culinary delights of Michelin Star Café Boulud are spectacular and I am so pleased you enjoyed the innovative libations of Coco Chanel-inspired Bar Pleiades.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon to your home away from home. In the interim, I remain at your service.

Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2013

Absolutely love the Surrey. Quiet, serene, small enough for personalized attention without being overbearing. Efficient, lovely staff. Kudos especially to the front door staff/valets...they remembered me from previous visits and that is truly appreciated. The Surrey is in a great location near museums and UES shopping (uh-oh, Vince is across the street ladies) and is right across from the Carlyle but has a more modern air and cleaner lines. More our style. Beds are heavenly. We requested a quiet room, upper floor and request was noted on arrival. Good amenities (different than last few times, but always good quality toiletries), and Wall Street Journal. No coffee maker in room, but great free coffee in lobby. Large water bottles gratis for when you go out for the day. When we've stayed here before, we enjoyed the rooftop bar, but was closed for the season. Loved Bar Pleiades.. If there is a jazz band playing do not miss them...they are fantastic. The drinks were strong and well-crafted and I had an interesting spin on a tasty rice pudding. Liked it so much we went back for frozen ice-cream macarons the next time. You need to come here to escape from the frenetic city bustle and relax when you get home. The shower pressure is indescribable...I'm not sure how they're allowed it with all the 'low-flow' water modifications lately in hotels, but it is AMAZING after a long day walking in the city. If you have not experienced, you will be amazed. Come here; we keep repeating for a reason.

1 Thank Westmount
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking a moment to share your recent experiences at The Surrey.

I am so delighted that you continue to enjoy the remarkable features of our tranquil Upper East Side location with close proximity to the famed Museum Mile and fashionable Madison Avenue.

We were pleased to learn that you enjoyed our exclusive hand-blended Mitchell and Peach in-room bath amenities. I must agree that our custom Duxiana bedding and Sferra linens provide for a heavenly sleep and I am delighted that our spacious Italian marble bathrooms exceeded your expectations.

Thank you especially for recognizing our Doormen for their personalized and intuitive service delivery. I have shared your feedback them and they were thrilled by your gracious praises.

I am also pleased that you enjoyed Coco-Chanel inspired Bar Pleiades and that you had the opportunity to enjoy the marvelous jazz entertainment. I hope you will return this spring to once again enjoy our Private Roof Garden.

We were pleased to learn that you enjoyed our daily complimentary lobby coffee service. During your next stay, it would be our pleasure to provide you with an in-room Nespresso coffee maker.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2013

The Surrey is a small,elegant, gracious hotel with an attentive staff and wonderful location. The room was lovely. The bedding excellent. The hotel provided champagne and a sweet to help us celebrate my wife's birthday. Sometimes one wonders if the cost is worth it. This is one hotel the exceeds all expectations.

1 Thank Baxelrodmd
skanagasingham, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this review, November 19, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback from your recent stay with us. I am thrilled that we could be a part of your wife’s special birthday celebration.

I am delighted that you enjoyed our idyllic Upper East Side location and that our guest accommodations featuring custom Duxiana bedding exceeded your expectations.

We pride ourselves on the personalized and intuitive service delivery provided by our team members and I am delighted we have achieved this with you.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon. In the interim, I remain at your service.

New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2013

For that price, stay at The Mark or The Carlyle. This hotel is already looking a bit worn, four years on, and the service is third rate as is the food. The bar is really nice - especially for right after work - but everything else is a miss.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

4 Thank Ms. Michelle V
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your candid feedback with us.

I was pleased to learn that you enjoyed your experience at Coco Chanel inspired Bar Pleiades. However, I regret that your experience at our hotel fell short of our usual high levels of service delivery.

Please allow me to personally extend my sincere apologies for the frustration and annoyance you experienced due to noise pollution and your interaction with our Concierge. Rest assured we take your feedback very seriously and have addressed it with our team. I sincerely hope that you will provide us with the opportunity to restore your faith and regain your confidence and trust in us.

I welcome the opportunity to learning more about the details of your experience and may be reached at (646) 358 3605. Thank you and I look forward to hearing from you soon.

In the interim, I remain at your service.

San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2013

Before you fall asleep on the surreal cloud of peaceful perfection known as The Surrey Hotel Bed take a moment to pause and reflect on whatever the hassle of your day may have been. Strange to find that after one deep breath you’ll have utterly no memory of that thing you stepped in and found emotionally stuck to your shoe earlier in the day.

My Deluxe Salon with King Bed was prepared to my persnickety specifications (I find I always need more towels/hangers/pillows/ice/dry cleaning than the average guest, among other things that are too numerous to expose herein) and the welcome I received was above and beyond any standard I could have imagined. There is just no detail too small that is not addressed by the staff of this refuge.

And, OH the Concierge! I may have become too complacent with the constant magic tricks that The Surrey Concierge has performed over the years: theatre tickets at a moment’s notice, impossible restaurant reservations, suggestions of the perfect places to shop, secret museums to see, and emergency gifts to procure for the most frustratingly discerning people. I’m spluttering with amazement at the rabbits they can pull out of their hats!

Thank you to all the Surrey Hotel team members that I know are there but I never get to see during my stay. It takes a battalion of skilled professionals to pull off 5-star service with consistency and I remain happily in awe.

Room Tip: Rooms on 76th, view of park, view of Madison Ave