“Devine Upper East Side Hotel!!” 5 of 5 stars

The Surrey
Ranked #32 of 479 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
New York
“Devine Upper East Side Hotel!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

The Surrey is an absolutely beautifuland luxurious hotel - especially for the relatively affordable price. Service is outstanding, rooms are spacious, comfortable and very well kept. The bathroom is gorgeous with outstanding a amenities - including good lighting (important for us gals!) and a glorious shower with actual water pressure. I stay in a lot of hotels and this was by far one of the best! It will be my top choice whenever I'm in NYC!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank Ms. Tracy B
skanagasingham, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this review, November 15, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking a moment to share your feedback from your recent experience at The Surrey. I am thrilled that we have become your top New York City hotel.

I am delighted that you enjoyed our inspiring Lauren Rottet design, spacious guest accommodations, bespoke Mitchell and Peach amenities and Italian Carrara marble bathrooms featuring oversized glass enclosed showers. We continue to receive positive feedback on our water pressure.

We pride ourselves on providing our guests with personalized, intuitive and caring service delivery, and I am so pleased to learn that our entire team was successful in achieving this with you.

Shan Kanagasingham

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (253)
  • Turkish first
Liverpool, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

My mum and I stayed at the Surrey over New Year 2012. We received a warm welcome by staff our our arrival and could not fault the service received throughout our 7 night stay. We were pleasantly surprised by our spacious room having been warned New York hotel rooms are often cramped and whilst our room faced the courtyard and generator the oversized beds and room conditioning made for the best nights sleep. The bathroom was also bright and spacious, luxurious robes and slippers for extra comfort. One comment no menu with mini bar.
We ate well in the hotel restaurant, and enjoyed an aperitif / digestive in the hotel bar - the restaurant staff attentive and could not fault the food. After a delicate yet filling main and dessert we were surprised by warm, fresh lemon madeleines - delicious and another nice touch. We indulged in room service after a busy day in the city. Breakfast and late dinners delivered speedily, containers kept heat, laid out on dining table delivered with food.
Spa experience a real treat, although had better treatments for less elsewhere.
Only negative comment was New Year's Day kitchen closed, to extent could not get a hot drink - no forewarning.
Also must recommend The Mark restaurant, a two minute walk from the Surrey - another delicious dinner, food on a par but trendier than the Surrey.

• Stayed December 2012
Review collected in partnership with NH Hoteles

1 Thank AllaIOM
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback from your seven nights stay at The Surrey.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your spacious guest accommodations and that our custom Duxiana bedding provided a delightful night’s sleep. I am so pleased that our spacious bathrooms featuring Pratesi bathrobes exceeded your expectations. I am terribly sorry that there was no mini bar menu available to you.

I am thrilled that you enjoyed the culinary delights in Michelin Starred Café Boulud as well as through In-Room Dining. I concur that Coco Chanel inspired Bar Pleiades is a fantastic location to enjoy an aperitif. Despite these highlights, I am sorry that you were not aware of the change in operating hours for Cafe Boulud as we do our very best to communicate with each guest via a letter with turndown service.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your experience at Cornelia Spa. Please know that we will take your feedback into consideration as we periodically audit the pricing of our services.

Chester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

I have just spent four nights at the Surrey and it was great. The deluxe salon was extremely comfortable and the bed was the best I've ever slept in - simply divine. The staff went out of their way to be helpful and concierge Michael was terrific in helping me obtain theatre tickets. The hotel bar is fabulous - stylish, cool and buzzing - with great staff and service and the cosmopolitans they mix are out of this world! A great stay.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Julie M
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback from your recent four nights stay with us.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your Deluxe Salon featuring custom Duxiana bedding.

We pride ourselves on providing our staff with intuitive and gracious service delivery and I am so thrilled that our entire team, most notably Michael, our wonderful Concierge, was successful in achieving this with you.

I am so pleased that Coco Chanel inspired Bar Pleiades exceeded your expectations from the service provided to the out of this world Cosmopolitans.

We truly look forward to welcoming you back soon and in the interim, I remain at your service.

Oslo, Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

In the triangle between The Carlyle, The Mark and The Surrey, you have three of the best hotels in town. They all have different designers, and they are all different in style. We like all three of them, and stay regularly at all three. The Surrey is probably the best-looking of the three, and reception as well as the restaurant and the bar are all really smart and staffed by service-minded people. Michael, the concierge, is outstanding and helped us a lot. There are a couple of minuses; firstly, all rooms except suites lacks bath-tubs, which is a pity. Secondly, the facilities on the ground floor are small, and there are never anywhere to sit as the one sofa was "at capacity" constantly. The same goes for the one rest-room on the ground floor that services the restaurant, the bar as well as the hotel-guests; bad planning! The restaurant is, by the way, one of the best in NYC - well worth a visit! We will come again :-)

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Gudleiv
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback from your recent experience at The Surrey.

We pride ourselves on providing our guests with personalized and genuine service delivery and I am delighted that our entire team, most notably Michael, our wonderful Concierge, were successful in achieving this with you.

Our lobby was designed to be reminiscent of an Upper East Side townhouse and this reflects in the intimate layout of our lobby. Please accept my most sincere apologies for the inconvenience you experienced in not being able to rest and relax nor have an accommodation furnished with a bathtub. Rest assured your valuable feedback has been taken in the spirit intended. Please know that there are three rest-rooms on the lobby level to serve our guests.

I concur that the culinary delights of Michelin Starred Café Boulud are spectacular and I am so pleased that you enjoyed Coco Chanel inspired Bar Pleiades.

Please feel free to call me at 646.358.3605 and I am happy to note your preference for a bathtub for all future visits. We look forward to welcoming you back soon and in the interim, I remain at your service.

New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

The Surrey is an amzing 5 star hotel. I ran the NYC marathon 2013 and chose this hotel. I made the right choice. Everyone treats you like your there only guest. When I got into my room they had a note congratulating me on participating in the marathon with drinks and energy bars. When I returned it was like I was coming home the staff was so happy for me.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

2 Thank ANGELIC7
Dear Guest,

Congratulations on completing the New York City Marathon. This is a tremendous accomplishment worthy of praise.

Thank you especially for shining a light on our team members. We pride ourselves on providing our guests with personalized and caring service delivery and I am thrilled that our team achieved this with you.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon and hope to see you for the marathon in 2014. In the interim, I remain at your service.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

Have just spent 7 nights at this hotel, design of hotel and room very good, but The Surrey is let down by the service, they pay no attention to detail, every order I placed through room service an item would be missing then take them a further 20 minutes to replace. Didn't always have door staff and when they did only opened door for certain guests. Numerous times I walked through reception and staff were to busy chatting/ laughing to even acknowledge guests. When checking out wasn't asked how my stay was. Would not stay here again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars
2 Thank tokyo890
skanagasingham, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this review, November 6, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your candid feedback from your recent experience with us.

Please accept my most sincere apologies for the service lapses that you experienced during your stay. I was truly disappointed that we failed to provide you with an experience that we pride ourselves on.

I regret to hear that your in-room dining orders were consistently missing items and that we were not timely in our service delivery. Rest assured that this has been addressed with the team to ensure we prevent future occurrences.

I was further disappointed to learn that the doormen were not available to you and you were not acknowledged by our guest services team. This is truly disheartening as our intent is always to be guest centric, gracious and thoughtful in all that we do. I am so very sorry that we completely missed this mark.

I provide no excuses for the less than acceptable levels of service provided to you but would love the opportunity to restore your faith in us. Please feel free to call on me at 646.358.3605 and I look forward to hearing from you.

In the interim, I remain at your service.

West Malling, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

I'd been looking forward to this trip for a year and had earmarked The Surrey as the place to stay. Read all the reviews on Tripadvisor and the majority seemed great with only one or two being not quite as glowing.

Took the plunge, spent my $2,500+ on four nights and waited for the trip of a lifetime. Alas the reality didn't quite meet the expectations - turned up at hotel and room wasn't ready until 5pm, during the night found that the toilet didn't flush away, water pressure was low in one of the sinks and then in the morning found somebody else's scarf and razor in the room and then discovered that the shower had the ferocity of a newborn lamb. One, two, three, four issues in the first 18 hours, and I guess that was the problem - one or maybe two issues could be forgiven but four is unforgivable in my eyes when you are spending that amount of money. To rub salt in the wounds the shower wasn't fixed at the first time of asking and I had to go down to reception again 8 hours later to get it seen to. Things can go wrong but in my line of work it's criminal if you don't fix something first time.

From that start it's not surprising that things didn't really recover fully; in spite of the uber-friendly staff (who were very kind to me as I was celebrating my 40th birthday), beautiful fixtures and fittings and generally great location for both shops and the arts.

Things should have been better, I felt that the staff there wanted to be my new best friend; that's lovely but what I actually wanted was for them to be professional and advise me or resolve my issues or even better yet, pro-actively offer advice. I never ever received any useful information about the hotel or the area or anything like that but I received lots of friendly chats. Indeed on one occasion when asking the front desk staff about where to eat one evening they couldn't suggest where a burger joint was (we had been up 25 hours at this point) without asking other staff - then we were just given a street number and off we went. Three nights later we wanted to find that restaurant again (having not found it on the first night) and low and behold we speak to different staff who printed off a map and directions - that was professional; why did we have to wait three days for this level of service?

We may just have been a bit unlucky with the issues but they happened and they did impact upon my feelings towards the hotel. You may be far luckier and could revel in all the good things that The Surrey has to offer (location, room design, beds to die for etc) but if issues bother you and if you rate professionalism and service above all else, think hard before you plump for The Surrey.

NB - If I could give the hotel 3.5 blobs I would but alas it doesn't feel like a Very Good to me so have plumped for the 3 over the 4, but it is slightly better than just average.

Room Tip: Rooms lower in the building may suffer from street noise.