The Surrey
Hotel Belleclaire(New York City)(Great Value!)
$161
$274
$247
  • Room Service
The New Yorker A Wyndham Hotel(New York City)(Great Value!)
$153
$134
  • Room Service
Park Central Hotel New York(New York City)(Great Value!)
$178
$145
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Fitness center
YOTEL New York(New York City)(Great Value!)
$167
$98
  • Restaurant
Hotel Edison Times Square(New York City)
$172
$118
  • Bar/Lounge
$144
$116
  • Room Service
Millennium Broadway New York Times Square(New York City)(Great Value!)
$309
$215
Official Site
  • Room Service
Blue Moon Hotel(New York City)(Great Value!)
$229
$100
  • Breakfast included
The Westin New York Grand Central(New York City)(Great Value!)
$324
$305
Westin.com
1,979 results
All reviewscafe bouludupper east sidecentral parkbar pleiadesgrand deluxe salonrelais chateauxmadison avenuerooftop gardennew yorkmuseum mileroom servicein room diningluxury hotelfavorite hotelbottle of champagnewonderful hotelturn down service
Reviewed November 3, 2013

I'd been looking forward to this trip for a year and had earmarked The Surrey as the place to stay. Read all the reviews on Tripadvisor and the majority seemed great with only one or two being not quite as glowing.

Took the plunge, spent my $2,500+ on four nights and waited for the trip of a lifetime. Alas the reality didn't quite meet the expectations - turned up at hotel and room wasn't ready until 5pm, during the night found that the toilet didn't flush away, water pressure was low in one of the sinks and then in the morning found somebody else's scarf and razor in the room and then discovered that the shower had the ferocity of a newborn lamb. One, two, three, four issues in the first 18 hours, and I guess that was the problem - one or maybe two issues could be forgiven but four is unforgivable in my eyes when you are spending that amount of money. To rub salt in the wounds the shower wasn't fixed at the first time of asking and I had to go down to reception again 8 hours later to get it seen to. Things can go wrong but in my line of work it's criminal if you don't fix something first time.

From that start it's not surprising that things didn't really recover fully; in spite of the uber-friendly staff (who were very kind to me as I was celebrating my 40th birthday), beautiful fixtures and fittings and generally great location for both shops and the arts.

Things should have been better, I felt that the staff there wanted to be my new best friend; that's lovely but what I actually wanted was for them to be professional and advise me or resolve my issues or even better yet, pro-actively offer advice. I never ever received any useful information about the hotel or the area or anything like that but I received lots of friendly chats. Indeed on one occasion when asking the front desk staff about where to eat one evening they couldn't suggest where a burger joint was (we had been up 25 hours at this point) without asking other staff - then we were just given a street number and off we went. Three nights later we wanted to find that restaurant again (having not found it on the first night) and low and behold we speak to different staff who printed off a map and directions - that was professional; why did we have to wait three days for this level of service?

We may just have been a bit unlucky with the issues but they happened and they did impact upon my feelings towards the hotel. You may be far luckier and could revel in all the good things that The Surrey has to offer (location, room design, beds to die for etc) but if issues bother you and if you rate professionalism and service above all else, think hard before you plump for The Surrey.

NB - If I could give the hotel 3.5 blobs I would but alas it doesn't feel like a Very Good to me so have plumped for the 3 over the 4, but it is slightly better than just average.

Room Tip: Rooms lower in the building may suffer from street noise.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
skanagasingham, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this reviewResponded November 6, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share you candid feedback from your recent experience at The Surrey.

I am delighted that you enjoyed our idyllic Upper East Side location with close proximity to famed Madison Avenue shopping and Museum Mile. I am also thrilled that our custom Duxiana bedding and inspiring Lauren Rottet design exceeded your expectations.

Despite these highlights, I was truly disappointed to learn of the service lapses that you experienced during your special stay. I am deeply sorry that the water pressure did not live up to your expectations and that your water closet had problems flushing. I am also disheartened that we created further frustrations to you as we did not address your concerns in a timely manner.

Please accept my most sincere apologies for the less than professional service provided to you by our team members. I am terribly sorry that we were not able to provide you with efficient solutions or guidance based on your needs.

I would very much welcome the opportunity to speak with you in person and may be reached at 646.358.3605. I look forward to hearing from you.

In the interim, I remain at your service.

Reviewed November 1, 2013

I absolutely loved the Surrey! It is luxurious, well decorated and the service is top notch. The hotel rooms include all the necessary amenities and more. The service is good and the doormen bend over backwards to be of help. An overall wonderful experience!

Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Erin F
skanagasingham, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this reviewResponded November 15, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your gracious feedback from your recent experience with us.

I am delighted that you enjoyed our inspiring Lauren Rottet design as well as our bespoke Mitchell & Peach amenities.

We pride ourselves on providing our guests with personalized and genuine service delivery and I am so proud that our entire team was successful in achieving this with you. Thank you especially for recognizing our wonderful Doormen. I have shared your feedback with our entire team who were thrilled by your rewarding and encouraging feedback.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon. In the interim, I remain at your service.

Reviewed October 31, 2013

Very nice hotel and excellent service by the staff. the location is great! there are a variety a restaurants near the area. Brian, Ellen and Sharmiagn went out of they way to ensure our stay was as comfortable as possible. Also would agree with Nick W: " Modern hotels are not easy to find on the Upper East so because its in this great great location I give it a fourth star (otherwise it would be a three)."

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Jacob T
skanagasingham, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback from your recent stay at The Surrey.

I am delighted that you enjoyed our tranquil Upper East Side location.

Thank you especially for recognizing Ms Ellen Gerchick, Director of Luxury Sales, Ms Charmaine Burrell, Room Attendant and Mr Brian Conboy, Doorman for their outstanding service.

Reviewed October 31, 2013

Love the remodel. This hotel is now fabulous. The bar rocks and Eric is the best mixologist in the city. Brian at the front door is great and the whole management team bends over to accommodate. Little touches like coffee in the lobby for those of us who get up early and the espresso machines are really nice touches. Only complaint is that the pillow was too hard. Cannot wait to go back.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Emily R
skanagasingham, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this reviewResponded March 3, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback from your recent stay with us.

I am delighted that our $60 million renovation including our inspiring Lauren Rottet design exceeded your expectations and that you enjoyed the many service touch points from daily coffee in the lobby and Nespresso machines in your suite accommodation.

We pride ourselves on providing our guests with personalized and genuine service delivery and I am delighted that our entire team was successful in achieving this with you. I have shared your feedback with the entire team who were thrilled by your high praises.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the annoyance you experienced due to the hard quality of your pillows. We have softer pillows upon request and we will be happy to provide them to you on your next stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon and in the interim, I remain at your service.

Reviewed October 30, 2013

Comfortable and classy and cosy room with well specified finishes and neutral tones. Good value but pricey room service, no free wi-fi and unfortunately very noisy on the night we stayed (Builders or Road works nearby in early hours of the morning ???). Modern hotels are not easy to find on the Upper East so because its in this great great location I give it a fourth star (otherwise it would be a three).

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
5  Thank Nick w

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback from your recent experience at The Surrey.

I am delighted that you enjoyed our idyllic Upper East Side location. We are so pleased to have stood out to you amongst the other hotels in the area.

We are also pleased that you enjoyed our inspiring Lauren Rottet design and our comfortable guest accommodations.

I am deeply sorry that your stay coincided with emergency utility road work on Madison Avenue. Rest assured that your next visit will be much more tranquil.

Please accept my most sincere apologies for the inconvenience you experienced due to our in-room dining and wireless internet pricing. We will be sure to take your feedback into consideration as we periodically audit our pricing for our services.

Please feel free to contact me the next time your travels bring you to New York at 646.358.3605 so I may personally assist you with your travel arrangements.

In the interim, I remain at your service.