We stayed at the Surrey for the first time for five night's at the end of August and had a really nice time and enjoyed staying at this smaller NYC hotel. I really liked the modern black themed design of the hotel.
After a mix up on arrival with our room, where were allocated a disabled room with disabled bathroom facility's and no other room being available that suited our needs (we worked our way around this problem) we found very few things to fault about the hotel. The rooms are really nice and the beds are some of the most comfortable I have ever slept in. The rooms were also quiet which was nice.
The wireless internet connection's were also really easy to set up with one code giving you four devices being able to be used. This was great for the Laptop and my iPad.
The location is also very handy as you are right on Madison Avenue which is a really nice street with great shops and then on the other side you are right by Central Park. It is also really easy to get a taxi down to Fifth Avenue and this only takes about three minutes so it was no problem.
The Breakfast at the hotel in the Cafe Boulud restaurant was excellent. The quality of food was very good and most breakfast foods you could think of were offered. Breakfast was also run by a really good French lady (I can't remember her name) who was excellent at her job and made the whole process of ordering very easy and the service was virtually faultless. Even the Tea served was very good which makes a change for American hotel's as it tend's to not be the best. Although we did not have dinner at the restaurant the menu looked very appealing.
I have to give a special mention to Michael on Concierge. He was superb at his job and very helpful even though I used to bombard him with lots of different question's even before I arrived, mostly about restaurant's. He always replied to my e-mail's and gave great information. I was very grateful for his help.
The hotel also has a Roof Top Terrace with a bar that serve's really good drinks and offer's a nice view of New York. We used to go there before dinner in the evenings and thought it was great. I did find it strange that it was not open after 11.00pm though. It would of been nice to come back to the hotel after dinner and gone back up to the roof and seen some of New York lit up whilst having one last drink.
If I had to find some fault's with the hotel I would say they need a better gym. It is to small and the equipment is to close together. It is as if they have just had a spare room and decided to stick some gym equipment in it. There were no windows. Now I know you can run in Central Park across the road but I still think this quality of Hotel should have a bigger and better gym.
I also found the bar off of reception to dark, even though this was probably in keeping with the hotel's design and found it very cold. The air condoning was too high in my opinion but the bar itself was very nice although the service was a touch on the slow side sometimes.
Overall I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking to stay at a top quality hotel in New York and we would certainly be looking to stay at The Surrey again next year when we make our annual visit to New York from England. Great City and really good hotel. The time flies.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The #1 hotel in New York City as voted by the readers of Conde Nast Traveler and Travel + Leisure, The Surrey is a discreet escape on Manhattan's Upper East Side Steps from Central Park, world-class museums, and Madison Avenue shopping, the hotel features Cornelia Spa and Daniel Boulud's Michelin-starred Café Boulud. It is New York City's only Relais & Châteaux hotel. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, HotelPower, Orbitz, Priceline, Cheap Tickets, Hotwire, World Independent Hotel Promotion, Cancelon, HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your The Surrey reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Surrey Hotel New York City
- Surrey Hotel New York City
- Surrey Suite Hotel
- Surrey New York City