“Excellent hotel. Enjoyed our stay”
Review of The Surrey

The Surrey
Ranked #72 of 468 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Wetherby
“Excellent hotel. Enjoyed our stay”
Reviewed September 28, 2013

We stayed at the Surrey for the first time for five night's at the end of August and had a really nice time and enjoyed staying at this smaller NYC hotel. I really liked the modern black themed design of the hotel.
After a mix up on arrival with our room, where were allocated a disabled room with disabled bathroom facility's and no other room being available that suited our needs (we worked our way around this problem) we found very few things to fault about the hotel. The rooms are really nice and the beds are some of the most comfortable I have ever slept in. The rooms were also quiet which was nice.
The wireless internet connection's were also really easy to set up with one code giving you four devices being able to be used. This was great for the Laptop and my iPad.
The location is also very handy as you are right on Madison Avenue which is a really nice street with great shops and then on the other side you are right by Central Park. It is also really easy to get a taxi down to Fifth Avenue and this only takes about three minutes so it was no problem.
The Breakfast at the hotel in the Cafe Boulud restaurant was excellent. The quality of food was very good and most breakfast foods you could think of were offered. Breakfast was also run by a really good French lady (I can't remember her name) who was excellent at her job and made the whole process of ordering very easy and the service was virtually faultless. Even the Tea served was very good which makes a change for American hotel's as it tend's to not be the best. Although we did not have dinner at the restaurant the menu looked very appealing.
I have to give a special mention to Michael on Concierge. He was superb at his job and very helpful even though I used to bombard him with lots of different question's even before I arrived, mostly about restaurant's. He always replied to my e-mail's and gave great information. I was very grateful for his help.
The hotel also has a Roof Top Terrace with a bar that serve's really good drinks and offer's a nice view of New York. We used to go there before dinner in the evenings and thought it was great. I did find it strange that it was not open after 11.00pm though. It would of been nice to come back to the hotel after dinner and gone back up to the roof and seen some of New York lit up whilst having one last drink.
If I had to find some fault's with the hotel I would say they need a better gym. It is to small and the equipment is to close together. It is as if they have just had a spare room and decided to stick some gym equipment in it. There were no windows. Now I know you can run in Central Park across the road but I still think this quality of Hotel should have a bigger and better gym.
I also found the bar off of reception to dark, even though this was probably in keeping with the hotel's design and found it very cold. The air condoning was too high in my opinion but the bar itself was very nice although the service was a touch on the slow side sometimes.
Overall I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking to stay at a top quality hotel in New York and we would certainly be looking to stay at The Surrey again next year when we make our annual visit to New York from England. Great City and really good hotel. The time flies.

Room Tip: If you are after a Twin rooms with double beds make sure you are not allocated a disabled room. The...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank John O
skanagasingham, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this review, October 20, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback from your first stay at The Surrey.

I am delighted that you enjoyed our inspiring Lauren Rottet design and tranquil guest accommodations featuring custom Duxiana bedding despite being in an accessible room. I am also pleased to learn that we were successful in providing you with a user friendly wireless internet connection.

I am thrilled that our idyllic Upper East Side location was convenient for you with close proximity to Central Park and famed Madison Avenue shopping with an abundance of taxi cabs.

We concur that breakfast in Café Boulud is excellent and I am proud that your server assisted with your ordering and provided you with virtually flawless service delivery. I am also happy to hear that you enjoyed the tea service. I have shared your feedback with the Café Boulud Team who were thrilled by your gracious praises. I am also pleased that you enjoyed the hand crafted cocktails and breathtaking views from the Private Roof Garden.

Thank you especially for taking a moment to recognize Michael, our wonderful Concierge. I am so happy to learn that he helped you with all of your requests even prior to your arrival.

Despite these highlights, I am disappointed that your experience in Bar Pleiades was less than expected in regards to the temperature and slow service. I ensure you that your comments have been taken in the spirit intended and I have shared your feedback with the team to correct this going forward. Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding our fitness center. We will be sure to take your feedback into consideration as we evaluate our fitness center layout and offerings.

We look forward to welcoming you back next year during your annual trip to New York. Please feel free to call on me personally so I may assist you with your travel arrangements. In the interim, I remain at your service.

Shan Kanagasingham

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (292)
  • Turkish first
Vero Beach, Florida
Reviewed September 28, 2013

This was my second stay at the Surrey Hotel. I was there with a friend to get my stitches out from recent foot surgery. We had a lovely room with two queen beds that was well-appointed and comfortable. The duvets and linens were lovely. We laughed at the prices on the mini bar menu and drank the bottled water that was freely offered. We enjoyed an afternoon bloody mary and cheese board and another appetizer with prawns. The bloody marys were $16 each. While the repast was a bit pricey by Washington standards, we had terrific entertainment from the passing fashionistas and diplomats in town for the UN General Assembly. The next morning we had a nice breakfast a few tables over from the Prime Minister of Haiti which was supervised by some expert security from the NYPD. It was an experience! The hotel staff was very nice. Our only complaint was that we could not extend our stay!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank Pam S
skanagasingham, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback from your recent stay at The Surrey.

I am delighted that you enjoyed our inspiring Lauren Rottet design and our comfortable guest accommodations featuring custom Duxiana bedding and Sferra linens.

I am also pleased to learn that you enjoyed the breakfast, bloody Marys and appetizers in Michelin Star Café Boulud.

We pride ourselves on providing our guests with personalized, warm and genuine service delivery and I am so proud that our entire team was successful in achieving this with you.

We wish you the swiftest recovery from your foot surgery and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Surrey soon.

In the interim, I remain at your service.

San Francisco, California
Reviewed September 27, 2013

Though actually fairly large (190 rooms), the Surrey seems like a small boutique hotel, due mainly to the excellent and personalized service of its staff.

Our king-bed room was not large in terms of square feet, but was so well-designed it offered everything we needed: a roomy sitting area, a desk and chair, the large bed, and a generous bathroom. The room was tastefully decorated in white, black, and grays, and had windows on two sides.

On one side of the compact lobby is Café Boulud. Known for its expensive, haute-cuisine dinners, it also offers a delicious and reasonably priced breakfast menu. On the other side of the lobby is the stunning Bar Pleiades.

The Surrey’s downside is the fact it’s very expensive. And it’s not just the high room rates; you end up paying more for everything. For example, there is no coffee maker, or even tea bags, in the room. If you want a couple of cups of coffee in your room, you must pay $17 plus tip for room service. Even more problematic, in-room wi-fi is $16 per day, and the service is so slow as to be almost useless.

2 Thank LaBu
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback from your recent stay on TripAdvisor.

I am proud to learn that the personalized service provided by our team members made you feel more at home in New York City.

We are delighted that you enjoyed our inspiring Lauren Rottet design and that the design of our guest accommodations allowed for all essentials for a more comfortable home away from home.

I am so happy that you enjoyed Coco Chanel inspired Bar Pleiades and that your breakfast in Michelin Star Café Boulud was delicious.

I am truly sorry that you felt inconvenienced by our Internet fees and was disappointed to learn that the speed of internet service was less than you expected as we have recently upgraded our system. As we periodically review our pricing for all services and amenities we will take your feedback into consideration.

We provide coffee and tea set ups in guest rooms upon request. Please call on me at 646.358.3605 so I may learn of your guest information and update your profile so we may ensure your preferences are executed seamlessly.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon and in the interim, I remain at your service.

Reviewed September 25, 2013

After renovation from the services apartment, this hotel become real five stars hotel. Services is more attentive, room are new and spacey. Location is prime and not noisy. Fit for leisure or business traveller. Room rate is reasonablr.

Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank DashMen
skanagasingham, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this review, November 15, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback from your experience at The Surrey and for noting the improvements since our renovation.

I am delighted that you enjoyed our idyllic and tranquil Upper East Side location.

I am thrilled that our spacious guest accommodations, as well as the personalized and intuitive service provided by our entire team, exceeded your expectations.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon on your business and leisure travels. In the interim, I remain at your service.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed September 25, 2013

Myself and my girlfriend arrived on the last night of our 4 month adventure through the Americas and left engaged! I had notified the hotel that I'd intended to propose to my girlfriend of 2 years in New York during our stay in the Surrey and our Guest Relations Coordinator, Michelle, kindly arranged for a special return to our room... Champagne, french pastries and rose petals strewn on the bed and the floor really topped off the day for us. The hotel experience was flawless from start to finish. The rooftop garden was a great place to relax. Can't wait to go back!

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Paraic1983
skanagasingham, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this review, September 27, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback from your recent stay at The Surrey. I am thrilled that we were part of your four month adventure through the Americas as well as your most special proposal.

We pride ourselves on providing our guests with personalized and intuitive service delivery and I am proud that our entire team, most notably Ms Michelle Paredes, Guest Relations Coordinator, was successful in achieving this with you. I have shared your feedback with Michelle who was thrilled by your high praises.

I am so proud to learn that your experience was flawless from start to finish and I am so happy you enjoyed the amenities arranged for you.

New Jersey
Reviewed September 24, 2013

I chose to stay here and propose to my girlfriend at the rooftop garden and had been working with the Director of Guest Relations (Jose Lema) prior to my stay. To say that he assisted me with a beautiful proposal would be an understatement. The entire staff was so welcoming and kind and the hotel is incredibly well maintained. We stayed in an Ultra Deluxe Salon with a terrace and fireplace which I absolutely recommend. The views of the park were beautiful and you could not find better service from start to finish. The spa was amazing and we were able to sit and relax after our couples massage while enjoying sorbet and prosecco. I can;t thank everyone enough for creating such an amazing memory that my fiancee and I will remember forever. I will absolutely be returning to this hotel in the future. Book without hesitation, this is one of the finest luxury hotel experiences you will have in the city.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank RC21
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking a moment to share your experience on TripAdvisor.

I am delighted that you enjoyed our idyllic and tranquil Upper East Side location as well as our spacious guest accommodations.

We pride ourselves on providing our guests with personalized and attentive service delivery and I am so proud to learn that we exceeded your expectations in this regard.

We looked forward to welcoming you back soon and in the interim, I remain at your service.

philadelphia
Reviewed September 24, 2013

Just spent a Saturday night as a guest at The Surrey. What a terrific experience! Staff was friendly, hotel room was elegant and comfortable. Like another reviewer, only fair warning to guests is that the hotel shower water pressure is really strong. I would highly recommend this hotel.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank PhiladelphiaCamelot
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking a moment to share your feedback from your recent Saturday evening stay at The Surrey.

I am delighted that we exceeded your expectations from the warm and gracious service provided by our team members to the comfort level of our guest accommodations.

We concur that we have amazing water pressure and continue to receive positive feedback on our shower experience.