“The Surrey Hotel NYC”

The Surrey
Ranked #95 of 473 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed September 10, 2013

My stay at the Surrey was a wonderful experience. The staff was friendly and always made me feel I was truly a welcomed guest at a great hotel. I loved the location, artwork and interiors. The food and overall service were outstanding. I would definitely stay there again!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank jeanniebennett
skanagasingham, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this reviewResponded September 12, 2013

Dear Ms Bennett,

Thank you for sharing your most gracious feedback from your recent experience.

I am delighted that you enjoyed our idyllic Upper East Side location as well as our inspiring Lauren Rottet design and art collection, which we consider one of our most special features.

I concur that the culinary offerings of Michelin Star Café Boulud are wonderful.

I am also pleased that we exceeded your expectations with the warm, personalized and genuine service provided by our team members. I am so proud that we were successful in making you feel welcome at The Surrey.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon and in the interim, I remain at your service.

Shan Kanagasingham

Write a ReviewReviews (1,934)

Reviewed September 9, 2013

We stayed at the surrey this summer and overall really enjoyed our stay.

Let's start with the lobby, doormen and front desk staff. Everyone was sooo friendly, they remembered our name (and I am guessing it was a full house) and were so accommodating to everything. We had an 8th month old with us and they made our stay really easy! The last day, our flight wasn't taking off until 10p and we were given access to a private room to change, play with the baby and keep our luggage. Also, as a former resident of Manhattan, I must attest that the bathrooms are a lot bigger than you will find in other 5 star hotels in NY. The room itself was bigger than expected as well. The location isn't prime, in the center of things, but that was exactly what we were looking for. We didn't want to be in the middle of hordes of tourists!

My only complaints were that the walls were super thin. Given we used to live in NY, we invited some friends over for a game night (we have a baby) and one of the neighbors complained twice about the noise level. They were acting like we were rock stars trashing the place. But I guess the blame goes to the age of the building. Finally and most disturbingly, the manager of Boulud was extremely unfriendly and condescending. She seriously needs to find another job that suits her better because customer service is not her forte. She speaks down to people and let's face it, she's just a manager of one of many michelin restaurants in the world. She has no real reason to be so patronizing. However, Surrey management relieved the situation with poise and alacrity. It was a perfect stay and we will always make time to stay at the Surrey.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank aurora06

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback from your recent experience at The Surrey.

I am delighted that our tranquil Upper East Side location was idyll for your family’s stay in New York.

I am also pleased that you enjoyed our spacious guest accommodations and bathrooms; we concur that they are large for New York City standards. I am also happy to hear that we were able to offer a room for you to store your luggage and prepare for your evening flight.

Thank you especially for recognizing our team members for their warm, personalized and intuitive service delivery. I have shared your feedback with our Doormen and Guest Services Team who were thrilled by your gracious praises.

Despite these highlights, I am so disappointed to learn of the service lapses you experienced during your stay. Please know that we must address noise complaints when they occur in order to ensure the comfort of all our guests, however I am sorry that your game night was interrupted by these circumstances. Please also accept my sincere apologies for your service interaction with a team member at Café Boulud. This is truly not indicative of the service levels on which we pride ourselves and please know that your comments have been taken in the spirit intended. I have discussed this with Mr Dominique Paulin, General Manager of Café Boulud, in order to prevent such occurrences.

I hope these incidents have not marred your overall impression of The Surrey and we do hope that you will join us again in the near future. Please feel free to contact me directly at 646.358.3605 when your travels next bring you to New York.

Reviewed September 9, 2013

I grew up in and around New York and am more particular about my hotels in this City more than any other. I've been lucky enough to stay at the St. Regis, the Carlyle, the Waldorf, The Palace Towers, and a number of other great hotels. I previously reviewed the hotel, calling it, "an oasis" near Central Park. I recently stayed for two days in August 2013.

The hotel is converted from a famed series of apartments and is nestled on 76th street right around the corner from the Carlyle and two blocks from Central Park. Just tell the taxis 76th and Madison. Given that I have already reviewed this hotel, I won't given an in depth review but rather highlight a brief series of points which separates this hotel from other luxury properties and try to provide some prospective if you are looking at this hotel compared with the Ritz, the Waldorf, etc.

Comfort: The beds at the Surrey are the most comfortable I have found at a hotel. They are simply wonderful. Two weeks before my stay I had herniated several discs in my neck and was in serious pain, while I couldn't lie down for long periods, the brief 20 minutes of rest I did get were lovely. Each room is equipped with at least two comfortable padded chairs as well and a large, functional octagon coffee table.

Design: Many of the hotels in the City opt for a very traditional style (St. Regis, Waldorf, Carlyle, etc.) design here is more modern while still being functional and comfortable. Small touches like lovely tile work in the bathrooms, the aforementioned emperor's coffee table, etc. give the hotel a much more intimate and homelike feel, while still maintaining luxury.

Roof Terrace: Unique to the Surrey the roof terrace is a great place to grab a drink and watch the sunset. It was very crowded both nights I was there. While I am happy to share the hotel with patrons of the roof terrace it was sometimes difficult to get an elevator as a lot of guests were coming simply for the terrace.

Cafe Boulud: Room service is provided by Cafe Boulud. This has been a source of criticism in other reviews but I have always enjoyed excellent food and service. The Crab Benedict was the most decedent and outstanding dish I have ever had for breakfast and I lived in Europe for a number of years. It almost made me want to extend my stay just so I could order it again. On a previous trip, bar service was not very good but upon my return I was greeted warmly and promptly by the staff.

Staff: The entire staff was exceptionally friendly and professional and compared favorably to the most luxurious and expensive of hotels in which I have stayed. They managed both complex and simple tasks in a friendly and professional way.

I had such a wonderful experience I didn't want to leave. Now, I'll just have to find a way to schedule more meetings in New York next year. Happy traveling.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank twainandwhitman
skanagasingham, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience once again on TripAdvisor. We are truly humbled by your high praises, acknowledgement of our ‘small touches’ and sincerely appreciate your continued patronage.

Your review is so thorough and I thank you for showcasing the highlights of The Surrey for future guests to get a true feeling of our unique offerings.

We are so happy that our idyllic Upper East Side location, inspiring and unique Lauren Rottet design, custom Duxiana bedding and Sferra linens continue to exceed your expectations.

I am thrilled that you were able to take advantage of our Private Roof Garden on your most recent stay and enjoy the breathtaking views of the New York City sunset. I am disappointed to learn that you were inconvenienced by elevator delays due to guests traveling to and from our private garden. I hope you will continue to enjoy the offerings of our Private Roof Garden on your future summer stays.

I am so proud to learn that we have improved upon the service delivery in Bar Pleiades since your last stay. I will be sure to share your feedback with our entire Food and Beverage Team. I am also delighted that you enjoyed the In Room Dining options provided by Michelin Star Café Boulud. I concur that the Crab Benedict is delicious.

Thank you especially for taking a moment to highlight the professional and friendly service provided to you by our entire staff. I am so pleased to learn that we were successful in exceeding the expectations of such a discerning guest like yourself.

Please contact me directly at 646.358.3654 the next time your travels bring you to New York and it will be my pleasure to personally assist in arranging your accommodations.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon to your new home away from home and in the interim, I remain at your service.

Reviewed September 8, 2013

It's always a pleasure to stay at The Surrey. I just left after my fourth stay in the past 3 years and the service is always exactly the same...excellent. The rooms are spacious for Manhattan, the bathrooms huge, the bed linen heavenly and I love the quiet location right off Madison Avenue. You're still in the thick of fabulous, upmarket shops, but can retreat to this quiet hotel at the end of a long day. The restaurant and rooftop bar are excellent and the quality is consistently good. A quick shout out to Brian the 'top notch' bellman.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Virginia S

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing such generous feedback from your experiences on TripAdvisor.

I am so delighted that you continue to enjoy the fabulous Surrey features from our tranquil Upper East Side location with close proximity to famed Madison Avenue shopping to our spacious bathrooms and guest accommodations featuring custom Duxiana bedding and Sferra linens.

I am also pleased to learn that the Private Roof Garden and Michelin Star Café Boulud exceed your expectations time and time again.

Thank you especially for taking the time to recognize our team members, most notably Mr Brian Conboy for their ‘top notch’ service. I have shared your feedback with the team who were thrilled by your most gracious praises.

We truly appreciate your continued patronage to The Surrey and look forward to welcoming you back soon to your home away from home.

Reviewed September 8, 2013

This was our first time to stay at The Surrey. We loved it. The room was posh, very well laid out, with a great marble bathroom. The staff were all helpful, and so considerate. When I made the reservation, I told them it was our anniversary. They must have made a note, because everyone knew our name and greeted us with Happy Anniversary! We will make this our hotel of choice to stay in New York.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Fern S

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing such gracious feedback from your first stay at The Surrey. I am so thrilled that we were a part of your anniversary celebration.

I am so pleased that you enjoyed our inspiring Lauren Rottet design, spacious guest accommodations and white marble bathrooms.

We pride ourselves on providing our guests with personalized and genuine service delivery and I am so proud to learn that we exceeded your expectations in this regard.

We are so pleased that you have become a fan of The Surrey and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed September 6, 2013

Beautiful hotel in a very select area, safe and luxurious. You just can't beat it. The staff really know the area and take time to advise you on the best places to go. Pure luxury.

If I ever visit New York again, I will not hesitate to book this hotel.

Room Tip: Just visit it, you will not be disappointed.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Mandy C
skanagasingham, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your positive experience on TripAdvisor. We are truly humbled to be referred to as "pure luxury."

I am so pleased that you enjoyed our tranquil Upper East Side location and that you found it to be safe and most luxurious.

I am delighted that our team members exceeded your expectations with their knowledge of the surrounding area and that they were successful in advising you of the best places to go.

Reviewed September 6, 2013

My wife and I travelled to Manhattan for our anniversary and decided to stay at The Surrey. Not only was the Guest Relations Executive, Ms Michelle Paredes, extremely accommodating with my every request, including a last minute extension to our trip, but her colleagues, including the front of house porters, Duane, Koko, Brian and Pablo further ensured we had a thoroughly enjoyable and magnificent trip in what is in itself an absolutely magnificent Relais & Chateaux property in the heart of Manhattan!

With Cafe Boulud on the ground floor, other wonderful boutiques and eateries nearby, and Central Park less than minute away, we could not have hoped for more.

Well done and thank you Surrey for your thoroughly high standards, friendly and exquisite ambience, and fantastic location - we will definitely be back!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ASZ2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for sharing your feedback from your recent experience. It is our pleasure to provide our guests with Relais & Chateaux standards of service and we are sincerely humbled by your high praises.

I am delighted that you enjoyed our idyllic Upper East Side location steps from Central Park with close proximity to famed Madison Avenue boutiques and world renowned restaurants. In addition to the highlights in the surrounding area, I am happy that you enjoyed Michelin Star Café Boulud as well.

Thank you especially for your high praises of our team members who were most helpful to you during your stay as you celebrated your special anniversary. I am so proud to learn that Ms Michelle Paredes, Guest Relations Coordinator and our Doormen Mr. Duane Smith, Mr Koko Latt, Mr Brian Conboy and Mr Pablo Castro were so successful in making a positive impression on your experience. I will be sure to share your feedback with our team members who will be touched by your most gracious praises.

Please contact me directly at 646.358.3605 the next time your travels bring you to New York and it will be my pleasure to personally assist in arranging your accommodations.