“Fantastic rooms!”

The Surrey
Ranked #87 of 469 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed September 6, 2013

Stayed in this hotel for 4 nights as part of our honeymoon. It was fantastic, we stayed in a grand deluxe room and it was amazingly spacious, basically you get a room big enough for 2 queen beds with one king bed and a lounge area, I think it's worth the upgrade if you can. We felt like all that space was a real treat, especially in NYC. The location is superb, one block from Central park, we aren't big shoppers but you can be in your favourite stores on madison or 5th within a few minutes.. One of our nicest evenings in the city was spent on the roof terrace, well worth it for a cocktail or two if you get the chance, the views are beautiful and the ambience was relaxed but very luxurious. We enjoyed breakfast in the restaurant, it was great, but we didn't eat there in the evening or use the spa so can't comment. If they are up to the standard of the rest of the hotel I am sure they are great. The staff were incredibly friendly and helpful, especially our friend and doormen (Keko??) who chatted to us daily, made some great recomendations and generally made us smile.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Nick F
skanagasingham, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you so very much for sharing your positive feedback from your recent stay at The Surrey. I am so thrilled that we were a part of your honeymoon celebration.

I am delighted that you enjoyed our idyllic Upper East Side location with close proximity to Central Park and famed Madison Avenue shopping.

We are so pleased that your Grand Deluxe Salon exceeded your expectations in respect to the spacious layout.

Thank you especially for taking a moment to shine a light on the thoughtful, warm and friendly service provided by our entire team. I am so proud to learn that Mr Koko Latt, our wonderful Doorman was successful in providing you with great recommendations and conversations. I have shared your feedback with our team members who were thrilled by your most gracious comments.

I concur that our Private Roof Garden is one of our most special amenities and I am so thrilled that you were able to take advantage of delicious hand crafted cocktails, breathtaking views and relaxing ambiance of this signature Surrey feature. I am also happy to hear that you enjoyed your breakfast at Michelin Star Café Boulud.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon and I sincerely hope you have a chance to enjoy a massage at Cornelia Spa on your return trip to The Surrey.

In the interim, I remain at your service.

Reviewed September 5, 2013

Exciting, comfortable, excellent staff, very modern! Loved the hotel room and bathroom. Go to the rooftop bar and enjoy a drink, or just sit there in the evening and admire the view. The staff were just so helpful ... Nothing too much for them. Enjoyed the jazz band in the bar, while we relaxed for a drink. This small hotel has it all!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank katymaroo

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing such gracious feedback from your recent experience at The Surrey.

I am so delighted that we exceeded your expectations in so many ways from our inspiring Lauren Rottet design to our spacious and comfortable guest accommodations and bathrooms.

We pride ourselves on providing superior levels of personalized and gracious service and I am so proud that our entire team achieved this with you.

I am also thrilled that you enjoyed the hand crafted cocktails on our Private Roof Garden and took in the breathtaking views from this signature Surrey feature. The band in Bar Pleiades is such a wonderful entertainment and I am so happy that you were able to relax and enjoy while listening to jazz music.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon and in the interim, I remain at your service.

Reviewed September 4, 2013

Far and away our favorite place to stay not only in NYC but, arguably, anywhere. The staff is always fantastic and we are always treated as welcomed guests. Couldn't recommend more highly! This was our 6th stay at The Surrey and we were just as impressed as our first visit.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank Mr. David T
skanagasingham, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking a moment of your time to share your most gracious feedback from your recent experiences at The Surrey. We are truly humbled to be considered your favorite place to stay.

We pride ourselves on providing our guest with warm and gracious service and I am thrilled that we achieved this with you. I have shared your feedback with our entire team who were delighted by your high praises.

We truly appreciate your continued patronage to The Surrey and look forward to welcoming you back soon to your home away from home.

In the interim, I remain at your service,

General Manage

Reviewed September 3, 2013

Very nice hotel- modern, but too hip. excellent service. Prices fluctuate based on different factors- at times the prices are quite high, but sometimes quite reasonable and they have some good specials.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
skanagasingham, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this reviewResponded September 6, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback from your recent experience.

I am delighted that you enjoyed our inspiring Lauren Rottet design and that the personalized and genuine service provided by our team members exceeded your expectations.

We are pleased to offer our guests special packages and promotions in order to enjoy The Surrey and New York City. We change our packages and promotions seasonally which are featured on our website.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

I would like to update a previous review and compliment the entire staff of the amazing job they are doing! We had a few issues during a previous stay but those days are gone! The Surrey is our favorite place to stay - the rooms are lovely, the service spectacular and the attention to their guest, their needs and request are just wonderful and met with a smile. We have stayed at The Surrey numerous times and are returning with friends later this month! We cannot wait to share this gem of a hotel that feels more like "home" with them and enjoy another fabulous trip! It is truly a special place!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
skanagasingham, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this reviewResponded November 15, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback from your stay with us and for noting the improvements from your previous stay.

We pride ourselves on providing our guest with genuine and intuitive service delivery, and I am delighted that our entire team was successful in achieving this with you. I have shared your feedback with our team members, who were thrilled by your gracious praises.

We truly appreciate your word of mouth recommendations and for sharing The Surrey with your friends and family.

We look forward to welcoming you back to your new home away from home. In the interim, I remain at your service.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

I loved the hotel! The room was stunning, spacious and very clean. The walk in shower is joy to come back to after a day of sight seeing. We enjoyed breakfast in the hotel restaurant on two mornings and has a lovely dinner on the patio one evening. For dinner I had the best Risotto that I have ever had. Wish I had the recipe. At breakfast, the coffee was $6 a cup which I think is somewhat pricey. Check in was a breeze. The car was gone and parked for us without any problem. I had hoped for an room upgrade as I was told upon booking there might possibly be one as it was our 40th wedding anniversary. My husband and I did not get the upgrade but my son and his wife did, so at least one of the couples got an upgrade. My son was thrilled with his room. We were very surprised to receive a complimentary bottle of sparking wine upon our arrival as a gift from the hotel in honour of our anniversary. Thank you Hotel Surrey. Bottled water is available for guests in the lobby which is a nice touch. There are two small details that I wish the hotel would change: I like to get my own ice (ice has to be ordered and it can take time to be delivered) and I would enjoy having tea/coffee available in the room. We loved the Surrey and appreciated the individual attention that we received. Thank you for a memorable stay in New York at the Surrey.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback from your recent experience at The Surrey.

I am so touched that we could be a part of your most special 40th wedding anniversary trip to New York and I am so pleased that you enjoyed your personalized welcome amenity.

I am delighted that our spacious guest accommodations and oversized glass enclosed shower exceeded the expectations of you and your family. Having said that, I wish we had been able to offer an upgrade for both you and your son.

We are so pleased that you enjoyed the culinary delights of Michelin Star Café Boulud for breakfast and al fresco for dinner. I have shared your compliments on the risotto with our Chef who was humbled by your high praises.

We pride ourselves on providing our guests with personalized and intuitive service and I am so proud to learn that the individual attention provided to you and the swift arrival experience provided by our team members exceeded your expectations.

Thank you for sharing your valuable feedback and please know that your comments are taken in the spirit intended. We provide coffee and tea set ups in guest rooms upon request. It is also our service standard to provide ice as a convenience to our guests and we will be delighted to have ice in your room upon arrival going forward. Please call on me at 646.358.3605 so I may learn of your contact information and update your profile so we may ensure your preferences are executed seamlessly.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

A couple of months ago, I stayed at the Surrey in NY for the first time and I look forward to my next visit. Very well located and a real 5 star hotel. Some noice from work on Madison Avenue but with the AC on, it blocked most of it. My only complaint was that I had been caught in a rain storm and when I got to my room, soaking wet mind you, the AC was set on about 65 and it was like walking into a freezer. I'm sure if I hadn't been wet, it would have felt wonderful but... All in all a very nice stay and I felt safe traveling by myself.

Room Tip: I'd definitely try for a corner suite or higher room for better view.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
skanagasingham, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this reviewResponded September 7, 2013

Dear Ms Elliott,

Thank you for sharing your candid feedback from your recent experience with us.

I am delighted that you enjoyed our idyllic Upper East Side location, however I am disappointed that your first visit to The Surrey coincided with the emergency utility work on Madison Avenue that created excessive noise pollution. I am confident that your return visit with us will be much more tranquil.

I was further disappointed to learn that you were uncomfortable with your room temperature upon returning from being caught in a rain storm. We typically do not adjust the temperature controls once a guest arrives. Having said that, we will ensure we are more diligent moving forward. Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconveniences we may have caused you.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon and in the interim I remain at your service.