“Super dog-friendly”

GreenLeadersSilver level
New York City, New York
“Super dog-friendly”
Reviewed July 27, 2013

Stayed here in June, July and September 2012 with our large dog; booked directly by e-mail; arrived by car; stayed a total of five nights. Parking is by valet and it takes about 15 minutes to get your car; there's also street-side parking right in front of the hotel, if you are lucky... - This was a great hotel experience from all points of view: perfectly appointed, large (!), clean rooms (we had a different room type on each stay and all were excellent), efficient and friendly service above and beyond expectations, and we cannot overstate how dog-friendly everyone was (including all fellow guests in spite of the very snug elevators, our dog being bear-size). The casual French restaurant (a Boulud place) is super-reliable and very good, as were the four different treatments we enjoyed at the spa. - Yes, it is all very expensive, but it's NYC and this is the only hotel of its category that is truly dog-friendly, and we cannot fault the place for anything.

PLEASE NOTE:
the reason for this review appearing with such delay is that we have only now (May 2013) been able to finally fight our laziness in reviewing the more than 60 hotels and B&Bs we stayed at in 2012 and, so far, in 2013.
As everyday (!) users of this site, we feel we must make the effort of contributing - we also think that there aren't enough real reviews by real people.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Sam-Travel-NYC
skanagasingham, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your most rewarding feedback from your experience in 2012.

We are truly delighted that you enjoyed our spacious guest accommodations featuring custom Duxiana bedding and Sferra linens and we concur that Michelin star Café Boulud offers a most enjoyable gastronomic experience.

We pride ourselves on providing our guest with gracious and warm service delivery and I am proud to learn that our entire team was so successful in achieving this with you.

Thank you for your generous comments on our Posh Pets program which provides unique pet amenities and attentive pet services to our four legged guests. We were also pleased that you enjoyed Cornelia Spa and their intuitive treatments.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Shan Kanagasingham

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (300)
  • Turkish first
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Reviewed July 27, 2013

Lubna, is an super concierge.She bought orchestra tickets for "Wicked" ---4 hours before the show)))).
Stephanie is fabulous morning "wake up" caller.(She will even offer to call you again ,in case you doze off--something that is rare in high end hotels.)And Rocky and
Pablo are welcoming doormen. As for the room, strong shower pressure and a luxurious bed, which is made up at least twice a day
Also, the hotel is a seven minute taxi ride across the Park to John Lennon's memorial, "imagine."
And dog friendly.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank tobes303
skanagasingham, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your glowing feedback from your recent experience.

We are truly delighted that our idyllic Upper East Side location steps from Central Park with close proximity to “Imagine” exceeded your expectations. We are also pleased that you enjoyed our spacious guest accommodations featuring custom Duxiana bedding and Sferra linens as well as our oversized glass-enclosed showers featuring Waterworks bath fixtures.

We are truly delighted that we exceeded your expectations with the gracious and warm service extended by Ms. Lubna Datchler, Concierge, Ms. Estefani Wexler from Guest Services and our Doormen, Mr. Rocky Marmara and Mr. Pablo Castro. We pride ourselves on providing our guests with personalized and intuitive service delivery and I was proud to learn that we were successful in creating a most enjoyable experience.

We are proud to offer our Posh Pets program which provides unique pet amenities and attentive pet services to our four legged guests.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon. In the interim, I remain at your service.

London
Reviewed July 23, 2013

My wife and I stayed in the Surrey for a weekend in February. The hotel is well located just a block from Central Park. The staff were all very friendly and helpful and the room was beautiful and very well kept. Our stay wasn't cheap but I'd say that if you want a treat it is worth the price.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank mjbwan
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your glowing feedback from your recent experience.

We are truly delighted that are tranquil Upper East Side location steps from Central Park exceeded your expectations. I was so pleased to learn that you enjoyed our inspiring Lauren Rottet design and spacious guest accommodations featuring our custom Duxiana bedding and Sferra linens.

We pride ourselves on providing superior levels of personalized genuine service and I am happy to learn that our team was successful in achieving this with you.

Woodmere, New York
Reviewed July 22, 2013

it was too hot and 2 staff members were unsuccessful in cooling it. We needed to call 2 times for ice on one of the hottest days. Concierge did not get requested tickets to museum. It is a lovely hotel with nice staff and good food but the bed and pillows were not that comfortable besides that it was too warm I await the reason concierge failed the one task requested.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your candid feedback from your recent stay with us.

Please allow me to personally extend my sincere and heartfelt apologies for the frustration that you experienced in regards to the temperature in your guest accommodation. I have spoken with Mr Dave Stewart, Director of Engineering in efforts to prevent future such occurrences.

I am truly sorry that our Concierge team did not deliver on your request for museum tickets. Rest assured that your feedback has been received in the spirit intended. We have reviewed this incident with our entire Concierge team to ensure all guest requests are fulfilled and delivered in a timely manner without any such gaps.

These shortfalls are certainly not typical of us and we are sincerely dismayed to disappoint a guest such as yourself. I would welcome the chance to speak with you further regarding your experience and may be reached at (646) 358-3605.

cambridge
Reviewed July 21, 2013

I took my daughter who had just turned 16 and completed her first set of state exams. She deserved a treat and her first ever visit to New York and staying at The Surrey was the treat. I had chosen The Surrey due to its proximity to the Park, its small, luxurious, understated nature and the reports of wonderful staff. It lived up to expectation in all regards. The room was amazing. I have not slept better since. Great beds, blackout curtains that work, a shower to die for. Special thanks must go to the concierges who were so very helpful and seamlessly could advise on all manner of things.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank regular66
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your generous feedback from your recent stay with us. I was pleased to learn that your daughter had a memorable experience…especially on her first ever visit to New York.

We are truly delighted that our idyllic Upper East Side location steps from Central Park exceeded your expectations. We are also pleased that you enjoyed our luxurious sleep experience featuring custom Duxiana bedding, as well as our bathrooms featuring glass-enclosed showers with Waterworks fixtures.

We pride ourselves on the warm and gracious service extended by our colleagues and I was proud to learn that our team members, especially our Concierge team was successful in achieving this with you.

Highlands New Jersey
Reviewed July 21, 2013

I stayed at the Surrey so that I could be close to Lenoxhill Hospital. My stay was amazing even though I only spent about 6-7 hours a day there! ANYONE coming to NYC should experience this,charming, elegant hotel. Thank you.
Bette Scott

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank Ms. Bette S
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your most rewarding feedback from your recent experience. We love being referred to as a charming and elegant hotel.

We are truly delighted that our Upper East Side location with close proximity to Lenox Hill Hospital exceeded your expectations.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed July 20, 2013

It was my dream to visit New York city and after a week of no sleep staying near Time Square it was a pleasure to go to this wonderful hotel.
My friend and I arrived early however it was no problems for the wonderful staff who checked us in and gave us a upgrade to a suite which was beyond words,
The service from every staff member given to us was up and beyond but Koko was fantastic with his knowledge of where to get a decent coffee, directions and I loved having a chat with him. Koko is a asset to the hotel and he was one of the reasons the stay was a dream come true. A big thank you to all the staff and Koko

The bedding and pillows gave me the best nights sleep since I got to New York and if you want a room with enough room for all your New York shopping this is the place. The bathroom has one of the biggest bathtubs and I felt like a Queen of NYC soaking in the tub after a big day out.
The location is right near all the amazing museums and the Met which should be on every traveller's list when they visit. It fantastic to wake up refreshed and walking through Central Park instead of the traffic of Midtown was a highlight of each morning
I have been recommending this property and the staff to all my co workers and passengers who I book as it suites couples,friends ,honeymooners ,business clients and upmarket clients.
Thank you for a stay that has stayed in my memory and I hope to come back and visit

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank meshelle78
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your most generous feedback from your recent experience.

We concur that our idyllic Upper East Side location with close proximity to Central Park, Museum Mile and famed Madison Avenue shopping is one of our best attributes.

We are truly delighted that we exceeded your expectations with the gracious and warm service extended by Mr Koko Latt, Bellman. We pride ourselves on providing our guests with personalized and intuitive service delivery and I was proud to learn that we were successful in creating a most memorable experience.

We were pleased that you enjoyed our spacious suite accommodations and that our custom Duxiana bedding made for such an enjoyable night’s sleep. I was also delighted that the bathroom featuring a large soaking tub exceeded your expectations.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.