“Fantastic location, friendly staff”
Review of The Surrey

The Surrey
Ranked #79 of 467 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Shanghai
“Fantastic location, friendly staff”
Reviewed June 26, 2013

There's a lot to like here. We stayed in a "Grand Deluxe Salon" and the room was clean, comfortable and quiet (for NYC) despite the ongoing renovations. Biggest plus is location -- it's about a block to Central Park; within a few blocks of a variety of restaurants; easy access to the subway at 77th and Lex; near to neighborhood gym/yoga/pilates; never had a problem catching a taxi on Madison Ave beside the hotel. Some other reviews were critical of service, but we didn't experience any problems. Will definitely consider returning next time we're there on business.

1 Thank Stew808
skanagasingham, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your most rewarding feedback from your recent experience.

We are truly delighted that you enjoyed our tranquil and comfortable guest accommodations featuring Duxiana bedding and Sferra linens.

We concur that our idyllic Upper East Side location is one of our best attributes; and we are truly pleased that our close proximity to Central Park, fitness center and world-renowned restaurants with convenient access to New York City transportation services exceeded your expectations.

We pride ourselves on providing superior levels of gracious and personalized service and I am delighted that our entire team achieved this with you.

Shan Kanagasingham

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (300)
  • Turkish first
El Paso, Texas, USA
Reviewed June 25, 2013

We spent a week at The Surrey, May 21-28. It's a beautiful property and our room was well appointed and lacked nothing. From the front desk to the concierge to the housekeeping, each and every individual was courteous and down right friendly. Yes, it is pricey. But it's NY. We loved the downstairs bar .... chic, quiet and brimming with atmosphere. I realize many people find this unacceptable, but they do add a 17% gratuity to the bill. The service was perfect and I personally understand they work hard for their income and found it to be one less thing i needed to worry about. Room service was quick and efficient and food was great. We were in NY for medical purposes so time in the room was significant. The entire staff took extra measures to respect our privacy and took extra steps to ensure our comfort. The location could not be more perfect, steps away from central park, the met, shopping, restaurants. There is not one complaint to be made. I will book The Surrey on my return trip.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
5 Thank JoanWarwick
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your most rewarding feedback from your recent experience.

We are truly delighted that our idyllic Upper East Side location steps from Central Park, famed Madison Avenue shopping and world renowned restaurants exceeded your expectations. We are also pleased that you enjoyed our spacious guest accommodations with custom Duxiana bedding.

We pride ourselves on providing an exceptional level of personalized and genuine service, and I am happy to learn that our entire team was successful in achieving this with you, especially when privacy and discretion are of the utmost importance.

Our In Room Dining provided by Café Boulud is certainly one of our most special amenities, and I am pleased that you enjoyed our expedient and thorough service. We are thrilled that you also enjoyed the handcrafted libations at Coco Chanel-inspired Bar Pleiades.

New York City, New York
Reviewed June 18, 2013

I have stayed here twice. I absolutely love the location, the calm amid the storm of NYC. I have had similar issues as other reviewers. Emails not answered, being affected by the construction on the outside walls, and getting a good cup of decaf coffee at their restaurant at breakfast time. Also, service can be very uneven when they get busy at breakfast.
Having said that, the rooms are extremely comfortable, the beds are wonderful. We have had a variety of bathrooms, some with double vanities, some not.
After some problems at check in and finding the right room, I found the staff to be attentive.
It's important to air you problems with hotels and see if they can correct them, before you write a negative review.
In my case, the hotel stepped up and made sure that I got the right room, and for that reason, I will return many times to the Surrey.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank 06222012a
skanagasingham, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your candid feedback from your recent stay.

We are delighted to hear that our prime location and custom Duxiana bedding continues to exceed your expectations.

Please allow me to personally extend my sincere and heartfelt apologies for the frustration that you experienced in regards to our historical preservation. We will be concluding our restoration efforts mid-July which will be a welcome respite to all.

I am truly sorry that you experienced inattentive service during your breakfast at Café Boulud, as well as delayed response to your e-mail communication. Rest assured that your feedback has been received in the spirit intended, and I have reviewed this incident with Mr Dominique Paulin, General Manager of Café Boulud as well as Ms Avis Carrol, Reservations Manager in efforts to prevent a future such occurrence.

We are dismayed to disappoint a loyal guest such as yourself, but I am very pleased to hear that our team was attentive and quick to restore your faith and confidence in us.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon. In the interim, I remain at your service.

Tampa, Florida
Reviewed June 17, 2013

We chose the hotel because my husband was attending a conference in the upper east side and this had good reviews on Trip Advisor. Our room was quite large for NY and extremely comfortable. Bed was marvelous. Bathroom was big and lovely with dual sinks and white marble throughout. Nice view. We had a grand salon category room and I would say it was well worth the extra cost if you're staying more than a night or two.

As other reviewers indicated there is still a ton of construction going on around the hotel so it was a little noisy the first few nights. Seemed to be a lot of construction going on all over NY when we were there.

The location is excellent if you're looking for a hotel in that area. Close to lots of museums and of course central park. However, I ended up going to midtown, the theater district and other areas south as there's more to do there. Cabs were easy to hail most of the time and not too expensive. The subway is a couple blocks away on 77th & Lexington.

The only negative is the room service food which is supplied by Café Boulud, the restaurant in the hotel. Everyone raves about this restaurant, but frankly the room service food was really awful and very expensive. So that's a little inconvenient if you're tired and want to eat in in stead of going out.

Overall the service was friendly, timely and excellent. A few small mistakes, but nothing major. If you've stayed at a Ritz, I would say it's still a cut above The Surrey service wise. All in all, a great stay.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

5 Thank jkalassian
skanagasingham, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback from your recent stay with us.

We are truly delighted that our idyllic Upper East Side location, steps from Central Park and Museum Mile with convenient access to New York City transportation services, exceeded your expectations. We are also pleased that you enjoyed our spacious guest accommodations, featuring custom Duxiana bedding, and our bathrooms, featuring glass-enclosed showers and Waterworks fixtures.

We pride ourselves on providing superior levels of warm and gracious service, and I am so proud to learn that our team was successful in achieving this with you.

Despite these highlights, I am disappointed to learn that you were inconvenienced by noise pollution outside the hotel, as well as the quality of food delivered by Café Boulud. Rest assured that your feedback has been received in the spirit intended, and I have shared your comments with our Food and Beverage team in hopes of preventing such future occurrences.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

In the interim, we remain at your service.

Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
Reviewed June 15, 2013

I am on the road more than 250 days a year so I am not stranger to hotels and The Surrey was a great stay. The rooms had a comfortable residential feeling with everything I needed to rest or be productive. In particular, the room was very quiet, which can be rare in Manhattan. There was a slight delay at checkin as the status of my room was checked with housekeeping and the front desk agent did a remarkable job keeping me entertained for a few minutes and managed to highlight the best features of the hotel in a natural way, which enriched my visit. The restaurant was a great venue for a breakfast meeting. I highly recommend.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank Patrick B
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback from your recent experience.

I am pleased to learn that our Guest Service Agent was successful in highlighting The Surrey’s features whilst we prepared your accommodation; however, I do apologize for the slight delay on arrival.

We are delighted to hear that we exceeded your expectations; from the tranquility of your guest accommodations to the idyllic setting Michelin star Café Boulud provided for your morning breakfast meeting. I am truly humbled by such high praise from an experienced and discerning traveler as yourself.

We look forward to welcoming you back to The Surrey on your next visit to New York.

Hong Kong, China
Reviewed June 14, 2013

Left my briefcase at the bar while I was staying here a week ago. David Perry relentlessly tracked it down and then personally drove it to me after I'd checked out of the hotel and was on my way of out town. Hollywood ending. Hard to believe it can happen in real life. There is hope for Gotham still. What a great guy....oh, and the hotel is really great too.

2 Thank Jason M
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your most rewarding feedback from your recent experience.

We are truly delighted that we exceeded your expectations with the prompt and caring service extended by Mr David Perry, Security Officer. We pride ourselves on providing our guests with personalized and intuitive service delivery, and I was proud to learn that we were successful in creating your ‘Hollywood ending.’

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

In the interim I remain at your service.

Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed June 14, 2013

This was my second stay at The Surrey. The first time I was very happily surprised of the level of service and standard so it felt natural to spend a few nights there when I was in NYC again (spent the first nights at Trump Soho).

The difference between my first and second stay was that the first time I came with no expectations while this time the bar was set high due to my great experience during my first stay. It started out with a negative note with me sending them an email a few months prior to my visit with a request that I don't receive any answer to. Also my second email was unanswered but I tried a third and last time and this time they came back to me apologizing, upgrading the room to a higher floor and threw in complimentary wireless internet.

After checking in everything was fine though. Impeccable service, personal and welcoming and both the spa and the resturant, Café Boulud, really enriches the stay.

On the downside, it was a bit noisy due to construction on the street and it was a shame that the rooftop terrace was still under construction even though it was supposed to be finished during Spring.

Room Tip: I prefer the rooms higher up and towards Madinson Ave.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Leo K
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your candid feedback from your recent experience.

Please allow me to personally extend my sincere apologies for the frustration you experienced due to our lack of follow up from your e-mail communication. I am pleased to hear we were able to alleviate your disappointment with an upgrade to a larger guest accommodation and complimentary Internet. Rest assured that the delayed response has been addressed with great seriousness.

I was also disappointed to learn that you were inconvenienced by exterior noise pollution, and the closure of our Private Roof Garden due to our historical preservation efforts. We will be opening our garden for the season late July through September, and should your travels bring you back to New York this Summer, I hope you will be able to take advantage of this signature Surrey feature.

Despite these initial inconveniences, we are truly delighted that the service you received at Cornelia Spa and Michelin star Café Boulud exceeded your expectations.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

In the interim I remain at your service.