“Upper east side elegance”
Review of The Surrey

The Surrey
Ranked #77 of 466 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Ontario's Highlands, Canada
“Upper east side elegance”
Reviewed May 19, 2013 via mobile

Very nice room. Well appointed. Renovated bathroom (although ask for double sinks). Beautiful linen. Comfy beds. Helpful staff. Great location away from the madding crowds......... A jewel and a gem. For more travel recommendations, PackYourBagsYYZ@HotMail.com

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank M C
skanagasingham, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this review, May 23, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your wonderful feedback from your recent visit. We are truly grateful for your kind compliment of being “a jewel and a gem.”

We are pleased that you enjoyed our spacious guest accommodations with custom Duxiana bedding and Sferra linens and that our idyllic location steps from Central Park, Museum Mile and the famed shopping of Madison Avenue exceeded your expectations.

We pride ourselves on providing a superior level of intuitive and gracious service, and I am delighted to hear that our entire team accomplished this during your stay with us.
We look forward to welcoming you back to your home away from home.

Shan Kanagasingham

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (297)
  • Turkish first
Montreal
Reviewed May 17, 2013

First timers at the Surrey because our favorite hotel was full... We loved it and the value is so much better! Location is amazing, decor is great (but some parts feels dated a bit).
Definitely a hit for a Ny stay!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank port-au-persil
skanagasingham, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your most rewarding feedback from your recent stay with us.

We were truly delighted that we exceeded your expectations with our close proximity to Central Park, Museum Mile and the famed shopping on Madison Avenue. We are pleased that you enjoyed the inspiring Lauren Rottet design, featuring 31 original modern art works dispersed throughout the hotel.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon. In the interim, we remain at your service.

New Haven, Connecticut
Reviewed May 13, 2013

Growing up in the Northeast, New York was one of the first cities in which I got to stay in many different types of hotels ranging from budget friendly options to the Carlyle, the Waldorf, The St. Regis, and the Essex House. As such, I am pretty set in my ways when it comes to New York hotels and normally stay somewhere else. But, when I needed a last minute room to meet some friends, I was forced to choose the Surrey and I am so glad I did.

The hotel is converted from a famed series of apartments and it maintains its small, intimate feeling and exudes a sense of refined, discreet luxury in keeping with its surroundings on the UES/Central Park. If you want big, wide scale grandeur it is probably best to look elsewhere. This is such a discreet property my car nearly drove past it was we approached. A bellman quietly appeared and relieved me of my luggage.

Check-in was friendly and prompt and I proceeded to my room. My room was the most basic in the hotel but was still filled with charming, welcoming touches like the window seat featured in several photos on TA and lovely personalized tile work in the bathroom. These touches made the room feel more like more own luxury apartment rather than a cookie-cutter hotel room.

The bed was the largest and perhaps most comfortable in which i have ever slept. Water pressure (something of a bugaboo in the City) was strong and consistent throughout my stay. The rooftop terrace is great in the summer and open to all guests although it does get crowded so get there early and enjoy the sun setting on the City skyline.

Room service from the ground floor restaurant was of excellent quality. It is the best room service burger i have ever had.

My only complaint was that service in the very popular and busy bar at street level was slow and unwelcoming. I was slightly embarrassed when meeting friends that they had to fight so hard to get a drink. It made me look like a bad host.

Despite this minor hiccup I look forward to returning to the Surrey again soon.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank twainandwhitman
skanagasingham, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this review, May 16, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your wonderful feedback from your recent visit. We are grateful for your kind compliment of being “an oasis near Central Park”.

We pride ourselves on an exceptional level of gracious and intuitive service, and I am truly honored that our entire team, especially our bell/door team, were successful in achieving this with you throughout your stay.

We are delighted that our spacious guest accommodations with unique design by Lauren Rottet exceeded your expectations and that our custom Duxiana bedding and Sferra linens provided you with a restful sleep experience. We concur that Michelin-starred Café Boulud provides a most memorable epicurean experience when enjoyed in the comfort of your salon or suite.

I regret to learn that you found the service at Bar Pleiades to be slow and unwelcoming. Please rest assured that your feedback has been received in the spirit intended, and I have taken this opportunity to personally speak with Mr. Dominique Paulin, General Manager for Café Boulud and Bar Pleiades, to avoid future such service lapses. Despite this disappointment, we are happy this did not mar your overall experience.

We look forward to welcoming you back, and hope to welcome you to the Private Roof Garden for the season beginning in July. In the interim, I remain at your service.

London UK
Reviewed May 13, 2013

Stayed 2 nights in March in a grand deluxe salon. Didn't eat at the restaurant for breakfast (walked two blocks to the Mark that had a really nice spread) or dinner so cannot comment on the food quality but did enjoy drinks at the bar when we arrived and pre -dinner - seemed to be a very popular local spot and had a lovely buzzy atmosphere. The room was very spacious, pretty quiet and very nicely decorated- only disappointment was slightly feeble water pressure in the shower. Really liked the UES location having previously stayed on 46th many years ago- walking distance to some great restaurants, the Park etc. Service was always friendly and helpful and I think that the Surrey is a very good choice in a very crowded and competitive five star market in NYC.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank marty99
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your glowing feedback from your recent stay with us. We are truly delighted that we exceeded your expectations - from our tranquil Upper East Side location close to Central Park to our thoughtful, genuine service.

I regret to learn that the water pressure in your accommodation did not meet your expectations. Rest assured your feedback has been received in the spirit intended, and I have taken this opportunity to speak with Mr. Dave Stewart, Director of Engineering, to prevent such future disappointments.

I am pleased that this did not mar your overall experience and that you enjoyed our inspiring design by Lauren Rottet and spacious guest accommodations featuring custom Duxiana bedding and Sferra linens. We concur that the innovative libations at Bar Pleiades make for a most memorable experience.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed May 13, 2013

I must confess that I stay at this hotel quite frequently and just recently started posting on Tripadvisor. So being a regular has its perks. But I have reccommended this hotel dozens of times and every person has been very happy with their experience and has also returned again and again.

If you are looking for that crazy, 24/7 NY experinece.....stay near Time Square. If you are looknig for a hotel with a sophisticated, elegant AND super friendly Upper East Side atmosphere....this is for you. Walking home at night...you might think you are returning to your own luxurious apartment. Its very easy to enjoy all of Manhatten from this location. Stroll up and down Madison and shop at the Boutiques....speed through (some days) Central Park to the west side and Lincoln center. Walk to the Met. It is also an easy walk to the subway to explore the far reaches of the island without the traffic.

The hotel is a great mix of contempoary, modern, deco and traditional and it all works. Rooms and bathrooms vary quite a bit as it is a rennovated older building. But even the smaller rooms are spacious with excellent storage space and wonderful marble showers with amazing water pressure. It also has one of the best bars in the area (Les Pleiades) and one of the best restaruants (Cafe Boulud) right off the lobby. The gym is small but offers enough for a decent work out and the spa on two is delightful. In good weather, one of the real treats is the rooftop bar for guests only!! Not to be missed.

A hotel is really only as good as its service and The Surrey lives up the reputation. After just a day (and I have watched this) the fantastic doormen will always give you a welcome back. The speed of room Service is improving! And I've found the front desk staff and conceirge always eager to please. A little shout out to Opal who should show the staff at other hotels at this level how its done. A++ You will count the days until your next visit back to The Surrey.

Room Tip: Rooms on Madison can be noisy, even higher up. The Grand Deluxe rooms give you an extra chair and c...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Renztem13
Dear Guest,

We are humbled by your high praise and thank you for taking the time to share your comments from your recent stay with us.

We are pleased that you enjoyed our spacious guest accommodations with Lauren Rottet’s unique design and that our prime location with close proximity to Central Park, Museum Mile and the famed shopping of Madison Avenue exceeded your expectations.

We were truly delighted that we continue to impress with the gracious and warm service extended by our team members. We pride ourselves on providing our guests with personalized and genuine service delivery, and I am proud to learn that our entire team, especially Ms. Opal Glover, Guest Service Agent, was so successful in achieving this with you.

We concur that Michelin-starred Café Boulud offers a most enjoyable gastronomic experience and the innovative cocktails at Bar Pleiades are a must. We are delighted to be reopening the Roof Garden for service this July and look forward to welcoming you back for breathtaking views of the Upper East Side.

We look forward to welcoming you back to your home away from home.

South Florida, Florida
Reviewed May 8, 2013

-Staff…friendly, professional, helpful. Every single employee at The Surrey from the bellman to the Front Desk Manager made me feel like a valued guest.

-Accommodations…incredibly well decorated. Contemporary design with rich accents. We enjoyed a corner suite which as about 700 sq ft, with living room, seating area, small kitchen and separate bedroom. The double vanity bathroom with a shower the size of my first apartment and beautiful tub was adorned in Cararra marble and high quality (faucets). The Dux bed was another plus of the room. Westin properties, eat your heart out…Duxiana beds are a special treat and they come standard in every room at The Surrey.

-Location…Upper East Side bordering Central Park. Great area within walking distance of great restaurants, quaint coffee shops and breakfast spots.

-Gym...on the small side and no functional weight training stations, but they did have several cardio machines, modest free weights up to 70lbs and several machines.

The only downside to my stay at The Surrey is that I am now incredibly spoiled and quite reluctant to stay anywhere else when my travels take me to Manhattan!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Fokai
skanagasingham, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your most rewarding feedback from your recent experience.

We are truly delighted that our idyllic Upper East Side location steps from Central Park and world renowned restaurants exceeded your expectations. We are also pleased that you enjoyed our spacious suite accommodations with custom Duxiana bedding.

We pride ourselves on providing an exceptional level of personalized and genuine service, and I am happy to learn that our team was successful in making your experience more memorable.

I have taken this opportunity to review our fitness center offerings with Mr. Rene Roman, Director of Rooms; please rest assured that your valuable comments will be taken to heart.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Melbourne
Reviewed May 5, 2013

We stayed here for 4 nights in March and opted to upgrade to a one bedroom suite. After the first night we had to change rooms as we were on the 5th floor right above the air-conditioning units/generators/machinery?? After travelling for 30 hours to get to New York this was quite distressing especially as I had requested a high floor.

Fortunately the staff handled our request to move extremely well. They immediately organised another room for us on a higher floor away from the units. I really don't understand how anyone could sleep through that noise!! Beware.

After changing rooms everything went smoothly and we enjoyed our stay.

Loved the spacious bathroom and toilettries. The decor is a little bland in my opinion but tasteful. Definitely worth taking up the option for a suite upgrade.

Cafe Boulud was superb - service faultless and food excellent.

Room Tip: Definitely request a room away from the generator/air conditioning units.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Leer
skanagasingham, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback from your recent experience.

Please allow me to personally extend my sincere apologies for the frustration and annoyance you experienced due to exterior noise pollution during your first evening with us. Rest assured that your feedback has been received in the spirit intended, and I have reviewed this incident with Mr. Dave Stewart, Director of Engineering, in hopes of preventing such future occurrences. I am very pleased to hear that our team was successful in alleviating your disappointment with the ease of the room move.

Despite this initial inconvenience, we are truly delighted that our spacious suite accommodations as well as the culinary delights of Michelin starred Café Boulud exceeded your expectations.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.