“An Oasis near Central Park”
Review of The Surrey

The Surrey
Ranked #88 of 470 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed May 13, 2013

Growing up in the Northeast, New York was one of the first cities in which I got to stay in many different types of hotels ranging from budget friendly options to the Carlyle, the Waldorf, The St. Regis, and the Essex House. As such, I am pretty set in my ways when it comes to New York hotels and normally stay somewhere else. But, when I needed a last minute room to meet some friends, I was forced to choose the Surrey and I am so glad I did.

The hotel is converted from a famed series of apartments and it maintains its small, intimate feeling and exudes a sense of refined, discreet luxury in keeping with its surroundings on the UES/Central Park. If you want big, wide scale grandeur it is probably best to look elsewhere. This is such a discreet property my car nearly drove past it was we approached. A bellman quietly appeared and relieved me of my luggage.

Check-in was friendly and prompt and I proceeded to my room. My room was the most basic in the hotel but was still filled with charming, welcoming touches like the window seat featured in several photos on TA and lovely personalized tile work in the bathroom. These touches made the room feel more like more own luxury apartment rather than a cookie-cutter hotel room.

The bed was the largest and perhaps most comfortable in which i have ever slept. Water pressure (something of a bugaboo in the City) was strong and consistent throughout my stay. The rooftop terrace is great in the summer and open to all guests although it does get crowded so get there early and enjoy the sun setting on the City skyline.

Room service from the ground floor restaurant was of excellent quality. It is the best room service burger i have ever had.

My only complaint was that service in the very popular and busy bar at street level was slow and unwelcoming. I was slightly embarrassed when meeting friends that they had to fight so hard to get a drink. It made me look like a bad host.

Despite this minor hiccup I look forward to returning to the Surrey again soon.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank twainandwhitman
skanagasingham, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this reviewResponded May 16, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your wonderful feedback from your recent visit. We are grateful for your kind compliment of being “an oasis near Central Park”.

We pride ourselves on an exceptional level of gracious and intuitive service, and I am truly honored that our entire team, especially our bell/door team, were successful in achieving this with you throughout your stay.

We are delighted that our spacious guest accommodations with unique design by Lauren Rottet exceeded your expectations and that our custom Duxiana bedding and Sferra linens provided you with a restful sleep experience. We concur that Michelin-starred Café Boulud provides a most memorable epicurean experience when enjoyed in the comfort of your salon or suite.

I regret to learn that you found the service at Bar Pleiades to be slow and unwelcoming. Please rest assured that your feedback has been received in the spirit intended, and I have taken this opportunity to personally speak with Mr. Dominique Paulin, General Manager for Café Boulud and Bar Pleiades, to avoid future such service lapses. Despite this disappointment, we are happy this did not mar your overall experience.

We look forward to welcoming you back, and hope to welcome you to the Private Roof Garden for the season beginning in July. In the interim, I remain at your service.

Shan Kanagasingham

Write a ReviewReviews (1,916)

Reviewed May 13, 2013

Stayed 2 nights in March in a grand deluxe salon. Didn't eat at the restaurant for breakfast (walked two blocks to the Mark that had a really nice spread) or dinner so cannot comment on the food quality but did enjoy drinks at the bar when we arrived and pre -dinner - seemed to be a very popular local spot and had a lovely buzzy atmosphere. The room was very spacious, pretty quiet and very nicely decorated- only disappointment was slightly feeble water pressure in the shower. Really liked the UES location having previously stayed on 46th many years ago- walking distance to some great restaurants, the Park etc. Service was always friendly and helpful and I think that the Surrey is a very good choice in a very crowded and competitive five star market in NYC.

1  Thank marty99
skanagasingham, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this reviewResponded May 21, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your glowing feedback from your recent stay with us. We are truly delighted that we exceeded your expectations - from our tranquil Upper East Side location close to Central Park to our thoughtful, genuine service.

I regret to learn that the water pressure in your accommodation did not meet your expectations. Rest assured your feedback has been received in the spirit intended, and I have taken this opportunity to speak with Mr. Dave Stewart, Director of Engineering, to prevent such future disappointments.

I am pleased that this did not mar your overall experience and that you enjoyed our inspiring design by Lauren Rottet and spacious guest accommodations featuring custom Duxiana bedding and Sferra linens. We concur that the innovative libations at Bar Pleiades make for a most memorable experience.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon. In the interim, we remain at your service.

Reviewed May 13, 2013

I must confess that I stay at this hotel quite frequently and just recently started posting on Tripadvisor. So being a regular has its perks. But I have reccommended this hotel dozens of times and every person has been very happy with their experience and has also returned again and again.

If you are looking for that crazy, 24/7 NY experinece.....stay near Time Square. If you are looknig for a hotel with a sophisticated, elegant AND super friendly Upper East Side atmosphere....this is for you. Walking home at night...you might think you are returning to your own luxurious apartment. Its very easy to enjoy all of Manhatten from this location. Stroll up and down Madison and shop at the Boutiques....speed through (some days) Central Park to the west side and Lincoln center. Walk to the Met. It is also an easy walk to the subway to explore the far reaches of the island without the traffic.

The hotel is a great mix of contempoary, modern, deco and traditional and it all works. Rooms and bathrooms vary quite a bit as it is a rennovated older building. But even the smaller rooms are spacious with excellent storage space and wonderful marble showers with amazing water pressure. It also has one of the best bars in the area (Les Pleiades) and one of the best restaruants (Cafe Boulud) right off the lobby. The gym is small but offers enough for a decent work out and the spa on two is delightful. In good weather, one of the real treats is the rooftop bar for guests only!! Not to be missed.

A hotel is really only as good as its service and The Surrey lives up the reputation. After just a day (and I have watched this) the fantastic doormen will always give you a welcome back. The speed of room Service is improving! And I've found the front desk staff and conceirge always eager to please. A little shout out to Opal who should show the staff at other hotels at this level how its done. A++ You will count the days until your next visit back to The Surrey.

Room Tip: Rooms on Madison can be noisy, even higher up. The Grand Deluxe rooms give you an extra chair and c...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Renztem13

Dear Guest,

We are humbled by your high praise and thank you for taking the time to share your comments from your recent stay with us.

We are pleased that you enjoyed our spacious guest accommodations with Lauren Rottet’s unique design and that our prime location with close proximity to Central Park, Museum Mile and the famed shopping of Madison Avenue exceeded your expectations.

We were truly delighted that we continue to impress with the gracious and warm service extended by our team members. We pride ourselves on providing our guests with personalized and genuine service delivery, and I am proud to learn that our entire team, especially Ms. Opal Glover, Guest Service Agent, was so successful in achieving this with you.

We concur that Michelin-starred Café Boulud offers a most enjoyable gastronomic experience and the innovative cocktails at Bar Pleiades are a must. We are delighted to be reopening the Roof Garden for service this July and look forward to welcoming you back for breathtaking views of the Upper East Side.

We look forward to welcoming you back to your home away from home.

Reviewed May 8, 2013

-Staff…friendly, professional, helpful. Every single employee at The Surrey from the bellman to the Front Desk Manager made me feel like a valued guest.

-Accommodations…incredibly well decorated. Contemporary design with rich accents. We enjoyed a corner suite which as about 700 sq ft, with living room, seating area, small kitchen and separate bedroom. The double vanity bathroom with a shower the size of my first apartment and beautiful tub was adorned in Cararra marble and high quality (faucets). The Dux bed was another plus of the room. Westin properties, eat your heart out…Duxiana beds are a special treat and they come standard in every room at The Surrey.

-Location…Upper East Side bordering Central Park. Great area within walking distance of great restaurants, quaint coffee shops and breakfast spots.

-Gym...on the small side and no functional weight training stations, but they did have several cardio machines, modest free weights up to 70lbs and several machines.

The only downside to my stay at The Surrey is that I am now incredibly spoiled and quite reluctant to stay anywhere else when my travels take me to Manhattan!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Fokai
skanagasingham, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this reviewResponded May 13, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your most rewarding feedback from your recent experience.

We are truly delighted that our idyllic Upper East Side location steps from Central Park and world renowned restaurants exceeded your expectations. We are also pleased that you enjoyed our spacious suite accommodations with custom Duxiana bedding.

We pride ourselves on providing an exceptional level of personalized and genuine service, and I am happy to learn that our team was successful in making your experience more memorable.

I have taken this opportunity to review our fitness center offerings with Mr. Rene Roman, Director of Rooms; please rest assured that your valuable comments will be taken to heart.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed May 5, 2013

We stayed here for 4 nights in March and opted to upgrade to a one bedroom suite. After the first night we had to change rooms as we were on the 5th floor right above the air-conditioning units/generators/machinery?? After travelling for 30 hours to get to New York this was quite distressing especially as I had requested a high floor.

Fortunately the staff handled our request to move extremely well. They immediately organised another room for us on a higher floor away from the units. I really don't understand how anyone could sleep through that noise!! Beware.

After changing rooms everything went smoothly and we enjoyed our stay.

Loved the spacious bathroom and toilettries. The decor is a little bland in my opinion but tasteful. Definitely worth taking up the option for a suite upgrade.

Cafe Boulud was superb - service faultless and food excellent.

Room Tip: Definitely request a room away from the generator/air conditioning units.
2  Thank Leer
skanagasingham, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this reviewResponded May 10, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback from your recent experience.

Please allow me to personally extend my sincere apologies for the frustration and annoyance you experienced due to exterior noise pollution during your first evening with us. Rest assured that your feedback has been received in the spirit intended, and I have reviewed this incident with Mr. Dave Stewart, Director of Engineering, in hopes of preventing such future occurrences. I am very pleased to hear that our team was successful in alleviating your disappointment with the ease of the room move.

Despite this initial inconvenience, we are truly delighted that our spacious suite accommodations as well as the culinary delights of Michelin starred Café Boulud exceeded your expectations.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed May 4, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for six nights last week. The staff was very friendly. They alwyas made to sure to say hello and goodbye as we were coming in and out. They allowed us to check in early and hold our luggage. The hotel is located less than a block to Central Park and a few blocks to the subway and The Met. The room was perfect. The bathroom had two sinks which is hard to find in any hotel. The shower is something that I wish I had in my own home. The bed was extremely comfortable. We were very happy with our stay. However we were disappointed when we went up to the rooftop bar to have a drink to see that it was under construction. The only other complaint was the slamming of the doors. The cleaning staff continuously slammed every door while cleaning which we found to be extremely annoying and I can't believe people didn't complain on here about that. It seems like such an easy fix. I figure that most of us were taught as children to not slam doors. So I'm not quite sure why the staff was not taught this. I hope management reads this and offers the suggestion to their staff. But otherwise we would absolutely stay here again. Turn down service was also very nice. They came around with complimentary water and ice at night which was nice.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DanielleSandhagen
skanagasingham, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this reviewResponded May 8, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your candid feedback from your recent visit. We are pleased that our close proximity to Central Park and the Metropolitan Museum of Art exceeded your expectations. We were truly delighted that you enjoyed our spacious accommodations and that our custom Duxiana bedding made for a most enjoyable night’s sleep.

I am disappointed to learn that you were inconvenienced by the historical preservation work on our Roof Garden, as well as the noise as a result of doors being slammed. Rest assured that your feedback has been received in the spirit intended, and I have taken this opportunity to speak with Mr. Michael Dunbar, Director of Housekeeping, to prevent such a future occurrence. I am pleased that this did not mar your overall experience.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon, and in the interim, we remain at your service.

Reviewed April 29, 2013

My husband and I have stayed at the Surrey a number of times in the past, but this year was a disappointment. We stayed for five night over Spring Break 2013. We arrived to find a dirty hand towel in our bathroom. I sat down in a chair at the seating area in our room and the chair was covered in crumbs and small bits of food. Housekeeping came and cleaned the room, but after that I was wondering just how clean the room really was.
During our stay my gloves went missing. I used them one day and took them off that evening. Didn't need them the next day, but on the third day I couldn't find them anywhere. I looked under chairs, in drawers, everywhere! I didn't say anything to the hotel at the time, my husband thought maybe they were hidden in my suitcase and I should just wait til we got home. When we got home, the gloves were not in my suitcase either.
I e-mailed the hotel when we got home and asked if they had a lost and found, explained that the gloves went missing from my room. I was careful not to accuse anybody of taking them. A couple of days later I got an e-mail from one of the hotel managers saying my gloves had been "recovered" and if I gave them my credit card number they would mail me the gloves.
I do realize it is not the hotel's responsibility to ship every missing article to every guest, but 1. we are talking about a lightweight pair of gloves that weighed a few ounces, it would take maybe $3 in postage to ship that to me and 2. We spent 5 nights in the hotel and had just paid a bill around $2500, and tipped generously to every bellman and housekeeper. You would think they could spend $3 for my "recovered" gloves.
Had my gloves been cheerfully mailed to me I would not have written this review. But after the dirty towel and dirty room, asking me for my credit card for $3 postage really left me with a poor impression of the Surrey.

6  Thank Joan B
skanagasingham, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this reviewResponded May 1, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your candid feedback from your recent stay with us.

We are truly disheartened to disappoint such a loyal guest such as yourself. This is certainly not indicative of the service levels that we pride ourselves on from the cleanliness of your accommodations, to the less than gracious service you experienced with the return of your lost gloves.

Please allow me to personally extend my sincere apologies for the inconvenience, annoyance and frustration you experienced on arrival and after your departure. Rest assured we take your valuable comments in the spirit intended and this has been discussed in great detail with Mr Michael Dunbar, Director of Housekeeping and Mr Jose Lema, Director of Guest Relations. Mr Lema did attempt to reach you on two occasions but was unable to connect with you in efforts to confirm your mailing address. Rest assured that your gloves are en route to you compliments of The Surrey.

I sincerely hope that you will provide us with the opportunity to restore your faith in us and kindly ask that you call me personally at 646.358.3605. I would welcome the opportunity to regain your trust and confidence in us. I look forward to hearing from you and in the interim, we remain at your service.