Growing up in the Northeast, New York was one of the first cities in which I got to stay in many different types of hotels ranging from budget friendly options to the Carlyle, the Waldorf, The St. Regis, and the Essex House. As such, I am pretty set in my ways when it comes to New York hotels and normally stay somewhere else. But, when I needed a last minute room to meet some friends, I was forced to choose the Surrey and I am so glad I did.
The hotel is converted from a famed series of apartments and it maintains its small, intimate feeling and exudes a sense of refined, discreet luxury in keeping with its surroundings on the UES/Central Park. If you want big, wide scale grandeur it is probably best to look elsewhere. This is such a discreet property my car nearly drove past it was we approached. A bellman quietly appeared and relieved me of my luggage.
Check-in was friendly and prompt and I proceeded to my room. My room was the most basic in the hotel but was still filled with charming, welcoming touches like the window seat featured in several photos on TA and lovely personalized tile work in the bathroom. These touches made the room feel more like more own luxury apartment rather than a cookie-cutter hotel room.
The bed was the largest and perhaps most comfortable in which i have ever slept. Water pressure (something of a bugaboo in the City) was strong and consistent throughout my stay. The rooftop terrace is great in the summer and open to all guests although it does get crowded so get there early and enjoy the sun setting on the City skyline.
Room service from the ground floor restaurant was of excellent quality. It is the best room service burger i have ever had.
My only complaint was that service in the very popular and busy bar at street level was slow and unwelcoming. I was slightly embarrassed when meeting friends that they had to fight so hard to get a drink. It made me look like a bad host.
Despite this minor hiccup I look forward to returning to the Surrey again soon.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The #1 hotel in New York City as voted by the readers of Conde Nast Traveler and Travel + Leisure, The Surrey is a discreet escape on Manhattan's Upper East Side Steps from Central Park, world-class museums, and Madison Avenue shopping, the hotel features Cornelia Spa and Daniel Boulud's Michelin-starred Café Boulud. It is New York City's only Relais & Châteaux hotel. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Priceline, MrandMrsSmith, Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, getaroom.com, Agoda, Hotwire, Cancelon, HotelQuickly and TripOnline SA so you can book your The Surrey reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Surrey Hotel New York City
- Surrey Hotel New York City
- Surrey Suite Hotel
- Surrey New York City