“Enjoyable stay”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Perth, Australia
“Enjoyable stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2011

Stayed at The Surrey for 10 nights. Staff friendly and helpful (thank you Rocco). Had issues with the air con / heater - were moved effortlessly to another room. Close to Central Park. Enjoyed a great night at listening to Jazz (Woody Allen) to The Carlyle nearby. Lady M cake boutique in the neighboring street serves great tea and cakes.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
skanagasingham, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this review, June 15, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us. We were truly delighted that you enjoyed your ten day stay at The Surrey. Our employees are indeed an asset to The Surrey and I have shared and thanked Rocco for his exceptional service delivery.

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience you experienced with having to move rooms due to a malfunction with the HVAC. I am pleased that my team responded swiftly to address your comfort.

Our location and close proximity to a variety of unique entertainment and bespoke retailers continues to be well received by our guests.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon and in the interim, remain at your service.

Shan Kanagasingham

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (286)
  • Turkish first
Quebec City, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2011

Checking was quick but elevators were always slow and crowded. We lost precious time between slow room service and trying get out of the hotel and get a cab. The breakfast service at the expensive restaurant. Arrogant and slow waiters. Our room seemed outdated. The location is great with nice view from all windows.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
5 Thank couleurcafe
skanagasingham, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this review, May 18, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your most recent experience with us. We were pleased that you arrival experience was seamless.

However, I regret to learn that you were disappointed by the availability of our elevators, In Room Dining experience and ease of taxi service. Please forgive us for the inconvenience and frustration you experienced. This is certainly not indicative of the service experience that we pride ourselves on.

We understand that design can be very personal to each individual’s taste. Lauren Rottet, our interior designer was inspired by The Surrey’ authentic bone structure and being a part of the tapestry of the neighborhood. She designed the hotel for the neighborhood, like a family townhouse passed down from generation to generation and layered her vision with a modern perspective.

I was very sorry to learn that your expectations were not exceeded at Café Boulud as it relates to value for price and gracious service. Please know that I have shared your valuable feedback with Boulud’s leadership team so they may take the required steps to prevent future such guest dissatisfaction.

Kindly please call me personally at (646) 358 3605 as I would welcome the opportunity to restore your faith and regain your confidence in us.

I look forward to hearing from you and to being of service.

Shan Kanagasingham
North East Scotland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2011

Stayed here for a week via Expedia. Location upper east was fine for us as we love walking but it is a distance from the hub of the city... we loved the peace and quiet. Very close to Central Park though. Housekeeping first class, rooms nice but some (like ours) with no bath - however, the shower was fantastic. Dined at cafe Boulud on second last night...very expensive but worth it for special occasion. Relatively close to subway for getting around city. Weekly metrocard good value for trains, subway and buses although walking is fab too.

1 Thank Witters
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2011

Global travellor in New York every other month for the past two decades, and I have migrated from the Plaza Athene to the Ritz Carlton Central Park, to The London, to the Trump Soho, to my current number one - The Surrrey.

Why? Becasue they have everything right - great personal service - fantastic rooms-the decor is sensational and the room has everything you could ever need. The location is great - perfect for Midtown and not to far from anything and they make you feel like a regular guest from the first time you step through the door.

Attetion to detail is exceptional and my particular favourite hotel concern...niose from other rooms/corridors/lifts...just isnt an issue here.

It would be criminal to stay anywhere else in NYC.....if you can afford it.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
6 Thank milesw
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2011

From the minute we arrived at the Surrey Hotel, we knew it was going to be an exceptional experience. The staff could not have been more helpful. We were there for my birthday, and they brought a chocolate treat with a candle in it to the room and sang happy birthday. They even gave me a birthday card. The concierge was top notch, and the bar was a fun spot. The room was lovely, and the bed was so comfortable, I could have stayed there all day. Even the ladies at the spa helped celebrate my birthday... with a champagne toast! I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Stacy42
Mexico City, Mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2011

Really! The Surrey Hotel and it's crew was amazing, more than what we were expecting. Firstable, the location... if you adore Central Park this is your best choise; if you love Museums, don´t look for nothing else, stay here!, if you want rest and sleep well after a very exciting and tiring day in new york, the quality of your dreams is going to be assured by the tranquility of this room.
In second place, the quality of the room... oh my God! every detail... makes you smile. The bed, the pillows, ah... the quilt, so comfortable. We felt wrapped in feathers.
Plus, the attention, the kindness and the friendliness of the personnel was so nice. I want to thank all of them.
My husband is not an easy person to please but he was so happy and enchanted with the hotel. It was our first travel to NYC, it was his idea and we were hoping everything was OK, well... let me tell you... The Surrey hotel was the clue for every thing was wonderful. We felt, as they say, nested up in clouds above the park and the city.

Room Tip: If available, request a room on an upper floor
1 Thank AlbaMoguel
Berkeley, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2011

I've stayed at the Surrey several times both before and after an extensive renovation. The staff are perfect and the adjoining restaurant - Cafe Boulud - is one of my favorites. But at this price, I reall don't see why one should pay extra for internet access and no coffee in the room.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Swadama, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this review, May 9, 2011
Dear Mr. R Schekman,

Thank you for choosing the Surrey and for sharing your comments.

My name is Spencer Wadama, General Manager.

I truly appreciate your wonderful review of our property, The team strives to provide the best service and individualized service to our guests. i am happy to see we suceeded with your experience. I do hear your comments on the wireless internet and am discussing as a hotel and company. I appreciate the comment.

I look forward to see you back at the property in the near furture. Until then, all the best.