“Very Pleased”
Review of Hotel Stanford

Hotel Stanford
Ranked #307 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed August 3, 2014

No-frills hotel that is well located in Korea Town and very clean. Rooms are small, but not tiny. Had a room in the back of the hotel, which had no view but was very quiet. If you are like us -- married couple that leaves the room at 10 a.m. and returns around midnight -- the Hotel Stanford will suit you well.

Located a block-and-a-half from Penn Station, and just feet from the 34th Street-Herald Station, you can get anywhere quickly. But it's an easy walk north to Times Square, south to Chelsea, east to Hell's Kitchen and west to the Grand Central neighborhood.

The only criticism I have is regarding the free so-called continental breakfast. It's a joke. Nothing more than bread and sugar water they attempt to pass as juice. Some have said it is one meal you don't have to pay for. You are in New York: eating great food is one of the reasons you traveled here. My advice is bag the free breakfast, which is something the Hotel should do anyway. You'll be happier for it.

Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank zekevt
There are newer reviews for Hotel Stanford

Reviewed August 1, 2014

This was the worst hotel I have ever stayed in!

Old hotel with the worst customer service in New York

We arrived 10am off a 26hr flight (with no sleep) in May 2014 and were refused early check in. Explained our situation and that we were sick and tired and would be so grateful for early check in to any room. They asked us to return at 12pm. We then waited in the reception area after 1pm and were personally escorted upstairs to the bar area by security. We were falling on our feet and the manager did not want other guests to see us.The manager was very rude, disrespectful and condescending! We understood that check in was at 3pm, but thought that they would be happy to accommodate travellers (every other hotel I have been to has). We became even angrier as we saw people come off the street to book hotel rooms and be given immediate access!

Satellite was out for the whole week that we stayed. A signed was placed up around the building a few days later. Too little, too late! No compensation provided, they just blamed the provider.

The toilet blocked multiple times and we had to call reception at 2am, very embarrassing

Our room looked out to a brick wall, no view at all

Wifi was terrible

You can do better in NY!

Room Tip: Do not stay at this hotel!
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank AshleighN
Reviewed July 30, 2014

The location is fantastic. Literally around the corner from the empire state building. Everything else was so walkable: Rockefeller, MoMA, New York Public Library, Times Square, Grand Central, Penn Station, Union Square. Since so little time was spent at the hotel it was fine for what we wanted: clean, central and the staff were friendly

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends
4  Thank Dharsh87
Reviewed July 16, 2014

I had a pre-paid reservation through Hotels.com, and the price was significantly less than the "rack rate" listed on the hotel's web site. The hotel is very conveniently located near a subway station. The neighborhood is pretty typical for NYC - noisy and crowded. The staff was very friendly, and checking in and out was a breeze. I had booked a room with a queen bed, and without asking I was offered a free upgrade to a room with a king size bed. I was told the room was significantly larger, but since I never saw the other room I have no basis for comparison. The room had a couch, desk and desk chair in addition to a king-sized bed. The room was clean, with one exception being that it looked as if the carpet needed a good vacuuming. The bed was comfortable. The air conditioning worked fine, although I could not lower the temperature below 68 degrees even though there were two adjustable thermostats in the room. The bathroom was clean, and there were plenty of towels, soap, shampoo, etc. The water pressure and hot water were fine. The lighting was adequate and OK for reading. The room had a small fridge and a pitcher of water and ice cubes, which was nice. Apart from the carpet, the only negative was that, because of the configuration of the furniture and the room, it was necessary to sit on the couch to watch TV. You could not watch TV while lying in bed. I would definitely consider staying there again

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled solo
7  Thank Richard N
Reviewed July 13, 2014

I booked a reservation at the Stanford for a last minute trip to NY, because its price and location. When we got there, the people in the front desk were very nice. But everything changed once I got into the room.

It's important to say that my booking was on April and I had finished my last chemotherapy 5-6 weeks before that and had surgery 2 weeks before the trip. My oncologist gave me clearance to travel as long as I took all the sanitary precautions I took during the chemos including wearing a mask when going to public places and keeping everything clean.

So, when I opened the room, first thing I noticed was a strong cigarette smell. Also, the a/c was not working. I called front desk and they said it was my fault because I didn't know how to turn it on, which I know how to do but the thing did not work. So they said someone right away would go to fix it.

While I waited, I looked outside the very dirty window, and the curtains had a lot of stains and so did the comforter and the sheets. The comforter was dusty. That really got me worried because my immune was compromised and I had a two weeks old surgical scar. So I called and explained my health situation and requested a cleaner room, they said no that I had the room I paid for. I even said I was willing to pay an upgrade and they said the hotel was sold out. So, I requested the money back to go to a cleaner hotel and they refused effusively. While this happened I was still waiting for someone to fix the a/c.

The third party that sold me the tickets called the hotel and the hotel also refused to return the money. I ended up calling my credit card, filing a claim and booking a room at the Warwick. All this while I was waiting for the a/c guy that never came. This hotel and staff are irresponsible and insensitive. This experience was so humiliating since I did not want to give any details about my health problems, and so difficult I do not wish it to anyone. Please, do not stay here.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
9  Thank Monica R
Reviewed July 13, 2014

This place has really nice rooms (if you take the club rooms. the standard size is a little small), with spacious and clean bathrooms. But the best part of it is the location. their coffee shop is really small but I am willing to forgo it because the hotel is right in the centre of the city. times square, the new york public library and the empire state building are just a 10 minute walk and the markets around are amazing. The best way to soak all of new york in is to stay here. The lobby etc are nothing exceptional but it is worth your money. trust me.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank dessert11
Reviewed July 9, 2014

Pros:
* The room was surprisingly quiet (we requested high floor at the back)
* Clean and comfortable
* Large bathroom with shallow bath
* Location: near lots of different train lines, lots of shops including Macey's, lots of food options, 10min walk to Times Square, 10-15min walk to Grand Central Station, Rockefella Centre

Cons:
* One elevator which we often had to wait for and was often full before reaching the bottom
* We requested an early check-in, which I know is not always possible, but when you are falling asleep in the lobby after travelling for 24 hours and are the only people in the lobby waiting for a room and it is already after check-out time you would think they could make cleaning the room a priority. We didn't get a room until 15mins before normal check-in time and only when we kept asking about it.
* Breakfast is free but there is often a line to get a table. We didn't eat the breakfast as we preferred to explore other options.

Overall this hotel suited our needs well and we would definitely book there again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back, on a high floor and that has been renovated.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
6  Thank EzzOM