“Good deal for the price”
Review of Hotel Stanford

Hotel Stanford
Ranked #308 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed July 16, 2014

I had a pre-paid reservation through Hotels.com, and the price was significantly less than the "rack rate" listed on the hotel's web site. The hotel is very conveniently located near a subway station. The neighborhood is pretty typical for NYC - noisy and crowded. The staff was very friendly, and checking in and out was a breeze. I had booked a room with a queen bed, and without asking I was offered a free upgrade to a room with a king size bed. I was told the room was significantly larger, but since I never saw the other room I have no basis for comparison. The room had a couch, desk and desk chair in addition to a king-sized bed. The room was clean, with one exception being that it looked as if the carpet needed a good vacuuming. The bed was comfortable. The air conditioning worked fine, although I could not lower the temperature below 68 degrees even though there were two adjustable thermostats in the room. The bathroom was clean, and there were plenty of towels, soap, shampoo, etc. The water pressure and hot water were fine. The lighting was adequate and OK for reading. The room had a small fridge and a pitcher of water and ice cubes, which was nice. Apart from the carpet, the only negative was that, because of the configuration of the furniture and the room, it was necessary to sit on the couch to watch TV. You could not watch TV while lying in bed. I would definitely consider staying there again

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled solo
7  Thank Richard N
There are newer reviews for Hotel Stanford

Reviewed July 13, 2014

I booked a reservation at the Stanford for a last minute trip to NY, because its price and location. When we got there, the people in the front desk were very nice. But everything changed once I got into the room.

It's important to say that my booking was on April and I had finished my last chemotherapy 5-6 weeks before that and had surgery 2 weeks before the trip. My oncologist gave me clearance to travel as long as I took all the sanitary precautions I took during the chemos including wearing a mask when going to public places and keeping everything clean.

So, when I opened the room, first thing I noticed was a strong cigarette smell. Also, the a/c was not working. I called front desk and they said it was my fault because I didn't know how to turn it on, which I know how to do but the thing did not work. So they said someone right away would go to fix it.

While I waited, I looked outside the very dirty window, and the curtains had a lot of stains and so did the comforter and the sheets. The comforter was dusty. That really got me worried because my immune was compromised and I had a two weeks old surgical scar. So I called and explained my health situation and requested a cleaner room, they said no that I had the room I paid for. I even said I was willing to pay an upgrade and they said the hotel was sold out. So, I requested the money back to go to a cleaner hotel and they refused effusively. While this happened I was still waiting for someone to fix the a/c.

The third party that sold me the tickets called the hotel and the hotel also refused to return the money. I ended up calling my credit card, filing a claim and booking a room at the Warwick. All this while I was waiting for the a/c guy that never came. This hotel and staff are irresponsible and insensitive. This experience was so humiliating since I did not want to give any details about my health problems, and so difficult I do not wish it to anyone. Please, do not stay here.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
9  Thank Monica R
Reviewed July 13, 2014

This place has really nice rooms (if you take the club rooms. the standard size is a little small), with spacious and clean bathrooms. But the best part of it is the location. their coffee shop is really small but I am willing to forgo it because the hotel is right in the centre of the city. times square, the new york public library and the empire state building are just a 10 minute walk and the markets around are amazing. The best way to soak all of new york in is to stay here. The lobby etc are nothing exceptional but it is worth your money. trust me.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank dessert11
Reviewed July 9, 2014

Pros:
* The room was surprisingly quiet (we requested high floor at the back)
* Clean and comfortable
* Large bathroom with shallow bath
* Location: near lots of different train lines, lots of shops including Macey's, lots of food options, 10min walk to Times Square, 10-15min walk to Grand Central Station, Rockefella Centre

Cons:
* One elevator which we often had to wait for and was often full before reaching the bottom
* We requested an early check-in, which I know is not always possible, but when you are falling asleep in the lobby after travelling for 24 hours and are the only people in the lobby waiting for a room and it is already after check-out time you would think they could make cleaning the room a priority. We didn't get a room until 15mins before normal check-in time and only when we kept asking about it.
* Breakfast is free but there is often a line to get a table. We didn't eat the breakfast as we preferred to explore other options.

Overall this hotel suited our needs well and we would definitely book there again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back, on a high floor and that has been renovated.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
6  Thank EzzOM
Reviewed June 22, 2014 via mobile

I really liked this hotel! The staff at the reception were very helpful! They also gave us a free upgrade! And the rooms were very nice! The bathroom was big and clean! The beds were also lovely very comfy! Nice tv and lovely cold water! The breakfast in the morning was only okay, maybe a bit more selection would have been nice. We also ended up blocking the toilet and informed reception of this and they had no problem with it at all! The hotel was central. And the bar on the second floor was also very nice! Would reccommend! :))

• Stayed: June 2014
6  Thank DavieCronin
Reviewed June 21, 2014

We have stayed at the Stanford Hotel quite a few years ago and I swore I would not want to go back. However, this time was different. The rooms have been updated and for the price it was perfect. My husband and I only stayed one night June 18/19. It's location is ideal. Close to Penn Station, Herald Square, Macy's, Jack's, Manhattan Mall. Subway is right there if you want to go uptown or downtown. The room size is excellent compared to other smaller hotels we have stayed in. We chose this hotel because we didn't want to spend a fortune on a one nights stay....would rather spend my money on shopping...lol. The hotel staff was very friendly...even recalled my name up various comings/goings. The lobby is small and appears little tired....don't let that fool you. The rooms have been updated and are very nice. The bed was a little hard for my liking but after a day of walking around it didn't matter. The carpeting is new & kept clean. The bathroom is very nicely appointed with granite counters and a modern Kohler toilet. The tiles were modern. The water pressure in the shower was good. It even had a curved shower curtain for more room in the tub. Linens and towels were good. Our room came with a bar fridge....we bought water and cold drinks at Jack's down the street....a great dollar store with loads of stock. There is a small business centre on the second floor near the 1986 Piano Lounge. The 1986 Lounge doubles as a complimentary coffee/tea/water/cookies with large projection TV screen for a mini afternoon break. (We were there when World Cup Soccer was on.) The common bathroom next to the 1986 Lounge is a surprise up entering....very modern and clean. There is only one elevator for the hotel...small and little slow, but not horrible unless you lack a bit of patience. The Hotel is Definitely better than i recall & expected. I would recommend this hotel to family & friends. Will defiantly come back. The hotel is rated a 2 Star due to it being small and maybe because of the small elevator and small selection of breakfast items, no pool or fitness center. The Hotel Stanford is definitely on my short list of hotels to stay at in NYC. Great value for what we wanted!!

Room Tip: We stayed on the tenth floor...room 1009. For a front facing room it was quiet....pleasant surprise.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Jenny C
Reviewed June 18, 2014 via mobile

Ok when us girls first checked in, we were a little nervous ... Lobby and entrance is nothing grand. Our room however was amazing! This is NOT an average hotel folks, there were 4 of us and we had plenty of room! A separate sitting area, a beautiful large bathroom with a shower on one end and soaker tub on the other. Wish we had of stayed longer!
The only complaint/tip I have is this ... We arrived before our room was ready and asked to have our luggage stored for the afternoon. When we arrived back, we were surprised to find our bags all stacked up exactly where we had left them in the main lobby with a large net thrown over them!! Understandably, the front of the hotel is very small, so their storage room cannot accommodate many suitcases - HOWEVER - we would have preferred that they advised us of our bags being left there!

Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends