“Needs updating”

Ranked #308 of 466 Hotels in New York City
St Austell, United Kingdom
“Needs updating”
Reviewed January 15, 2014

Not at all pleased with stay at the Stanford. Reception very shabby with bare wires hanging down the wall. One lift not adequate also very shabby. Thought things may improve as we got out the lift but no the approach to the room was just as bad. The room was small with dirty nets to the window. Very dreary inside & needed updating. Asked for an upgrade but but could not offer anything better. On a plus side the bed was clean & towels changed every day.
As for the complimentary continental breakfast, forget it. We tried it once then chose to have it elsewhere.
Location was very good but the hotel not up to standard as others we've used in New York.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Alice A

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Gothenburg, Sweden
Reviewed January 15, 2014

We stayed four nights around new year's and it was ok. The room size was perfect for us, the bathroom was nice and everything was very clean. Our room actually had a view, not a very good one but better than a brickwall. The bed was old, not comfortable and the pillows were to thick. At night it got pretty hot, so we turned off the AC and opened the window. Awful breakfast and a tiny, very slow elevator you could wait forever on.

The staff was nice and friendly, but didn't go that extra mile though.

Perfect location right in the middle of Manhattan, you could walk everywhere and if you got tired of walking the subway or a taxi was easy to take.

I think we would consider staying here again.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Helena L
Reviewed January 14, 2014 via mobile

I went to NYC for five days my boyfriend and I booked this hotel based on how it looked and on the location. The service was great, everyone was nice, the room was clean and the location was very centered. Now the bad side was that the queen bed was terrible very old and needed replacement. Our backs still hurt. Also the complimemtary breakfast is just bagels and pastries not what I call breakfast. And also we had windows for no reason because all you could see was the bricks of the building next to us.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kimberly R
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed January 10, 2014

I chose this hotel because a work mate previously stayed here and enjoyed it and as I was going to Boston via Amtrak, it was within good distance to Penn Station. As you're heading out of the hotel, if you turn right, Penn Station is located right at the end of W 32nd. As we dragged our luggage with us, it was about a 15 minute walk.

This hotel is located in a district called Koreatown and is in the heart of it, with W 32nd Street called Korea Way. There's a great Korean restaurant called Kunjip on this stretch too.
It's also a very short stroll to JC Penney (located in Manhattan Mall) and Macy's at Herald Square. It is however, a further stroll away to the main area of Times Square.
As we were here late Oct, there was the pop-up culinary market Broadway Bites in Greeley Square Park. This was just around the corner and was where I had my first NY pretzel.

Our room was a standard twin room with two single beds and was a decent size for the two of us. Our window view was of a brick wall, so it was difficult telling when the sun was up.
The air con was not working as well as expected and we asked the staff to look into this, but was told it was all set centrally. As such, it did get a bit warm during the night (we ended up waking a bit sweaty).

We were surprised there was no tea/coffee in the room. We asked for a jug filled with hot water and they gladly provided one. There was one occasion though, where I took the jug with me to return to reception and the housekeeping staff who passed by looked at me as though I was stealing it.
The complimentary breakfast was okay (no hot food unless you classify toasted bagels as so) and they actually share the breakfast area with the cafe that's attached to the hotel.

The elevator is slow (there is only 1), so most of the time we took the stairs (we stayed on 3rd floor so it wasn't too much of a hike). The printing service is not complimentary - you had to pay for the paper. WI-FI however was complimentary which was a positive.

Our toilet blocked once during our stay and water started overflowing. We advised reception and they sent staff to rectify this. This is the first time we've encountered a block toilet, so it did deduct points from our stay here.

In all honesty, I most likely won't stay here again in the future. But if you're after a place to sleep and close to the above-mentioned places of interests, then you could give this hotel a go.

Note: any black dots you see in my photos are from the faulty camera lens.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Santiago
Reviewed January 10, 2014

I travel with 2 friends to NY, and stay 7 days and 6 nights to the Hotel Standford.
I have to say, that the people is nice, the Hotel is very near to the subway (Wich is very nice) walks to the empire state, stores, if you like to walk, is very close to everything. The room was OK, 3 beds, 1 bathroom, TV. I have a relative who lives in New Jersey, and my aunt wan it to call me if we arrived fine, but my phone was death, I complain with the manager and they say the line was not working and they will fix it. 2 days after, same issue, I can receive calls but nobody on the other side of the phone could lisent to me. Thats my only complain, breaksfast was OK too... nothing special.... for the prices is OK, but I would not go there again, I rather spend a little more and be in a better hotel

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Berni_y_Andres
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed January 6, 2014 via mobile

We enjoyed our stay here, but found a few things that didn't really tick our boxes.
I will say that it is in an excellent spot for getting around NYC. There is a subway station right up the street from it (30m maybe), Hugh depth stores and major retails shops all around it as well as being along one of the major streets in NYC. Oh, its also just in front of the Empire State Building. Not bad.
We did find the bath room a bit basic, no bar fridge for us to keep our drinks and food cool and the breakfast included was cold food only.
No major drawbacks, just nothing special. Worth considering if you just need somewhere to sleep, which is all we really used it for.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Regina, Canada
Reviewed December 29, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Hotel Stanford for 3 nights while on a Christmas holiday in December. We liked some aspects of our stay but thought that several improvements could be made. We have a very mixed review of the hotel and are unsure if we would return during a future visit to New York.

One good and bad thing about the hotel is the location. It is very close to Penn station so very easy to access. It's within easy walking distance to most sights within Manhattan. One downside is that it is located in an exceptionally busy area (even for New York) and the sidewalks are always packed with people. It's not necessarily the nicest area to walk through, especially after dark. We always felt quite safe, but walked past someone peeing on the sidewalk right next to the hotel when we first arrived (a nice welcome!).

The check in process was absolutely horrible, and is the main reason why I only gave the hotel 3 stars rather than 4. I had booked the hotel through Expedia, and upon checking in the front desk staff asked if I had booked a room with 2 twin beds. I said no and that my husband and I would prefer a room with a double or queen instead. I was informed that they did not have any other rooms available unless we wanted to pay $50 per night. The front desk staff got quite defensive and started insisting that I must have indicated that I wanted 2 twin beds when booking with Expedia - I showed them my confirmation letter from Expedia that said no such thing but the staff still remained rude and defensive. I'm not sure if the booking error was due to the hotel or to Expedia, but I do know that I have booked several hotels through Expedia and this was the first time I have encountered this problem. I was also not impressed with the unfriendly attitude of the front desk staff - I would think that most businesses would do their best to correct any error (even if it was an error from Expedia) - rather than leave me with an ultimatum of either taking the room with 2 twin beds or paying $150 extra to upgrade our room for our stay. They suggested that I contact Expedia to let them know about the problem, but again I would have thought that a more appropriate response would be for the hotel to contact Expedia directly, as this seems to be a systematic error resulting in a miscommunication between Expedia's booking system and the hotel. Anyway, it was late at night and my husband and I were exhausted from traveling 12 hours from Paris that day, so we were not in the mood to argue and took the room they had available.

Even though we did not get the room we had initially requested when booking, the room was quite nice. It was much more spacious than we had expected and was very clean and quiet. The hotel provided complimentary Wifi in the rooms.

The hotel also offered complimentary breakfast. The breakfast was fine but nothing special - it basically consisted of bagels, apples, croissants, coffee, and orange juice. The restaurant staff were very friendly.

My other main complaint about the hotel was the elevator. The hotel only had one elevator, and as a result it took forever to get to and from our room. We had to add an extra 10 minutes each morning to account for the time it took for the elevator to get to our floor and then back down to the lobby. With the number of rooms in the hotel there should definitely be 2 or 3 elevators available.

I think that if the hotel improved on their front desk service it would make a huge difference. Besides the incident while checking in on our first night, we also experienced very poor service when needing to ask a simple question about check out on our last night. There was only one person working at the front desk and there were about 4 other people waiting to check in, so it took about 20 minutes before he had time to respond to our question. He was very friendly and apologetic, but it's too bad that they didn't have more support available (especially considering that there were 2 or 3 bellmen standing around doing nothing the whole time!).

All in all, we would consider returning to this hotel if improvements were made to the customer service. Until then, I would look elsewhere for a hotel during our next visit to New York and would recommend that others do the same.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple