“Great location and price”
Review of Hotel Stanford

Hotel Stanford
Ranked #301 of 473 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed April 30, 2013

The location is fantastic, subway right there and only 2 blocks from Penn station - we flew into Newark and it couldn't have been easier! The room was a nice size (by NY standards) and we had few issues. There was only one working elevator, so that was annoying when it was busy (we were on the 11th floor, otherwise, we would have taken the stairs) It's clean and they had breakfast, but it wasn't that great. I'd stay again when going to NY, we paid just under 250/night, which is fantastic for NYC! The staff was always helpful.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (1,691)

Reviewed April 30, 2013

I stayed here with a classmate during a class trip to NYC. This hotel is located in the heart of Manhattan, just two blocks from Madison Square Garden/Penn Station. It's literally about 50 yards from the 42nd Street subway station. It's located right in the middle of KoreaTown, and lots of great Korean restaurants and Norebang (Korean karaoke) bars nearby. Most of the hotel staff and guests are Korean-American too but everyone speaks English. For a budet hotel (and budget is a stretch of the word in Manhattan), this is a great place to lay your head. It's nothing fancy. Our room window faced a brick wall across the alley, and the room was small but clean and comfortable. There is a fantastic little lounge on the 2nd floor that seemed to be quite the hipster hangout. The staff were super friendly and even lent us umbrellas on a rainy day.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 30, 2013

The hotel is in the centre on manhattan located in midtown it's right next to everything. The breakfast isn't the best but at the end of the day your not the for that. The hotel staff are so friendly and polite to you when I went there as a tourist and didn't know my way around the city a man called Steve who works there in the bar bit helped me out a lot during my stay and was very friendly and polite to not just me but my family. Amazing people and your next to everything what more do u want

Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 24, 2013

My stay at Hotel Stanford was great! The location couldn't be better with Empire State Building and Macy's around the corner and right next to a subway station (34th Street-Herald Square) with great connections both Uptown and Downtown. My standard double room on the 8th floor was clean and comfortable, altough it would probably have been a bit small if two persons would stay in the room. But hotel rooms are small in New York - just get used to it or pay more for a bigger room. I would definitely recommend this hotel and will stay there on my next trip to the city.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed April 24, 2013

Hotel Stanford is a must for anyone wanting to see New York. Within walking distance to all the tourist hotspots!

Was recommended to stay here.

Staff I found very awkward, felt more of a nuisance at times rather than a guest!

Ideal for sight seeing! Do not let my experience put you off from staying here!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Ni_O_Yo
Reviewed April 13, 2013

No, that's not a typo. Although I should perhaps starting saying that this hotel is located in the very heart of Manhattan, within a pleasant walk away from Time's Square and Soho at opposite ends (and further, if you have the legs for it), as well as on Korea street, which means there are great Korean restaurants next to and across from this hotel, I will remember the annoying nighttime clerk, who went to the "make em thank YOU for serving them" school of business, his stupid mo (which must have hid an evil grin), and the "air-conditioner". This opening in the ceiling did not air the room at all, but it blew noise in, at staggering volume levels. The thermostat in the room did not affect it, so I dread the idea of coming here in summer. Needless to say, I did not sleep much, especially since the cleaning lady could so easily be heard working in the hallway, so I left NY still with my jetlag still firmly in place. The service overall is okay, and sometimes friendly, but this is the US, so people often get underpaid turning service into a commodity. The bed and bathroom were okay, although I hated the shower tap, which was one of those that you had to turn open full blast in order to get it to be hot water, and then turn back just a little to make it warm. The entrance to the hotel also deserves a mention: 5 minutes of sweeping could have rid it of the cigarette butts and rubbish, but during my two days there, no one at the hotel seemed to be bothered. There is a much nicer-looking hotel next door, so I am going to check that one out next time. The location is superb, but for this money customers deserve a much quieter and properly air-conditioned room.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 12, 2013

I stayed here with my mum and son in April, 2013, and we had booked a double double room for the 3 of us. However upon arrival we discovered that the room was very small indeed, and the window, a half sized window at that, was opening onto a wall view. We spoke to reception and decided to upgrade to a junior suite at an extra cost, and we were moved quickly and efficiently to the new room. The put-you-up bed also arrived quickly, but was just dumped in the room by a porter and not made up! We had been given a complimentary tray of drinks, red wine and water, but as we don't drink red wine we asked if it could be switched to white and we were told that the bar didn't have any. We were offered water instead! The rooms, however, are all spotlessly clean and the bathrooms look as though they have had a refurb. It was comfortable enough.
Breakfast was included in the price, and served in a coffee shop adjacent to the hotel. It consisted of a buffet of pastries, mini croissant, rolls and bagels, with grape jelly, orange juice, tea and coffee, but served on paper plates and cups. It was passable but nothing special at all.
The receptionist was fairly helpful in providing a map, and showed us how to get to some places, but could not recommend a local, family friendly restaurant. They had also offered us VIP passes to the Empire State Building, but when we returned to collect them, they were only able to offer the passes and not the tickets as promised. (Getting tickets proved easy, as there are official street vendors everywhere) We used the bar on the last night of our stay, which was very pleasant, and the cocktails weren't too pricey, I liked it in there. My son also appreciated the free Wi-Fi in the rooms and the fridge for all his bits and pieces.
On departure, the porter stored our luggage for the day and was able to get a taxi for us to the airport.
On the whole, I would say that this is a perfectly adequate hotel if you are looking for a base from which to tour the city, only one block from the Empire State Building and Macys, and we walked to Central Park and even down to Battery Park, as everything is easy to find. It is fairly basic thought, which is reflected in the prices, and there aren't many frills as such. Everything is clean and the staff are relatively helpful and very polite. For a cheap long weekend, I would say this is just fine :)

Room Tip: Ask for a room where the window actually looks out onto something, there are no 'views' as s...