“I traded amenities for location and price”
Review of Hotel Stanford

Hotel Stanford
Ranked #305 of 471 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed May 5, 2012

Bottom line: I traded away amenities for the great location and very good price at Hotel Stanford.

I consider myself an experienced solo traveler who travels light and has only basic needs in a hotel. So Hotel Stanford worked out well for me. I stayed there one week in late Apr12 while I wandered around as much of NYC as I could squeeze in the time I had. First the good news: I found the location to be ideal. If you look at a map of midtown Manhattan you will see that the hotel is located basically at Herald Square just off Broadway. It is on 32nd Street between two subway stations - one for the N, Q and R routes and the other for the 4,5 and 6 routes. In about 3 blocks you are at Penn Station (where I caught the Amtrak to my next destination) and in about 15 minutes of walking you are in Times Square. Grand Central Station is about a 20 minute walk. That's about as good as it gets in the public transit access department. As for price - my single room cost me about $210/night. So you be the judge there.

Now to describe what I gave up in return for location and price: First off the hotel is an old building, narrow but tall (12 floors max if I remember correctly). My room was small, on the 7th floor and my one window faced the wall of the next building. The TV was an old RCA out of the 70's and did not get any TV stations - which they fixed the next day. And even then, there was only a very limited number of cable stations available. The dresser had 3 drawers one of which was missing (see photo attached). I did not bother them with that one since my stuff fit comfortably in the 2 drawers I had. Small closet with about 6 hangers, ironing board and iron. The bed was good not great. The bathroom was good sized; the water pressure and hot water temp was unbelievable, and there was only one very small shelf to put toiletries on. Towels were quite thin but did the job and I had to ask twice to get a wash cloth. The heating/cooling went sort of nuts while i was there and the front desk recommended that I permit them to simply turn it off - which I agreed to and which worked. I bet the heating/cooling system is about as old as the hotel. FYI: the heating/cooling control mounted on the wall - which looks like a typical thermostat - only controls the fan and nothing else ! As you can tell from my story - you have no control over the temperature in your individual room.

The breakfast which is included in the price of the room consists of either bagels or rolls and juice. For me it was worthless. So every day I went to the Cafe Martinque at the next door Radisson for a good more substantial breakfast. They had an all-you-can-eat buffet or ala carte off the menu. The "free" wi-fi is available in the lobby only and is a joke. My speed test app came in at a download speed of less than 1Mbps - so worthless. However my 4G iPad worked just fine. Only 1 elevator with a max capacity of 8. So a couple of times I just took the stairs to my room instead. Because the reception area is so narrow, no one coming in can escape notice. Plus there is only 1 door for coming and going and there was at least one doorman on duty every time I came and went.

The front desk personnel were friendly and nice and wanted to help. All of them were Asian and clearly English was not their mother tongue. Communication with them was just OK.

There are an abundance of stores and restaurants and cafes within easy walking distance of the hotel. During my stay there was a steady stream of visitors from Scandinavia, Asia and Italy.

I would recommend this hotel for any traveler who is self-sufficient, travels light and is willing to make the trade-offs I have outlined above.

Room Tip: no view unless your room faces 32nd Street.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank Silicon_Valley_Guy1
Write a ReviewReviews (1,684)

Reviewed April 23, 2012

This hotel is fab location wise. It is about 10 minutes walk to Times Square. The view from our room on the 11th floor was the Empire State building! Staff were very polite and check in was very smooth yes there is only one lift but you don't have to wait long. We got a shuttle from jfk which took about half hour. There is a tube station right on the corner but we walked everywhere as it is only 2 blocks to 5th avenue. Breakfast is limited bagels etc but it's free so you can't expect much. Towels, toiletries, hairdryer etc are all complementary and we couldn't hear any noise from our room. All in all great little hotel which I would definitely recommend and use again.

Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Foxy03
Reviewed April 19, 2012

The location is perfect. Close to Broadway, Macy's and Madison Square Garden and Bryant Park. Would much prefer this hotel over one of the hotels in Times Square. The rooms are okay, but not better. Double rooms are small with tiny beds, I would clearly choose a queen beed. There is only one elevator, which is often busy, so is not suitable for the disabled.

Room Tip: Dont take a double room. The beds are not good.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank klaussp
Reviewed April 17, 2012

Although the location is convenient to Penn Station, you are not able to control the A/C unit from your room. We advised the front desk staff that air wasn't working & they sent a bellman to look @ it while we went to enjoy dinner. his way of fixing the air was to open the window....very disappointing. The staff is friendly & rooms are clean. The dead flowers on the hotel check-in desk was not appealing either..

Room Tip: ask for non-street side. located on busy street with lots of "late-night" type restaurant...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed April 17, 2012

The Stanford hotel is located directly in the city close to the Garden and the Empire State. You get a pretty good value there. The rooms are okay for Manhattan. Do not expect plenty of room. Access to the subway is directly in front of the hotel. Breakfast was included. The service was very good and the people were very kind. Use the Metro or the NJTransit train to get there and back to the airport. I would stay there again.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Denny M
Reviewed April 17, 2012

Very convenient location, right off Times Square. We booked a great $110 Sunday night rate online, for a standard room. Upon check in,(we were 3 hours early, too) we were offered an upgrade to a Queen, for 10$, and we took it. The rooms are spacious for NYC, the beds are comfy, there is a big desk, two nightstands, two chairs, and enough power outlets for charging our electronics, an in room fridge, big closets, and BONUS!! Windows that actually open! Love that.
Loads of hot water, and very powerful shower pressure,which is very nice. Well lit baths/rooms. Big tubs, granite and tile, nice toiletries and towels.
The hotel is older, but very clean, and in nice repair. (We have laytex allergies, so we always ask for an older room, one not recently refurbished to prevent a reaction from caulks, carpet glues, and paint. So keep in mind, I do not know what the newly upgraded rooms are like.)

There was a free continental breakfast included in our stay. Uninspiring, but decent enough to get you moving in the AM.
Also,there is a coffee cafe located in the hotel, and its an absolute bargain for fruit, danish, soda, snacks, etc., so you can self-stock your own room fridge for about $5.

Security was quite good here. I really noticed that they all pay attention. And I like that in a hotel. All the staff are adults, and any requests were handles almost instantly. Very clean, and the staff are? Numerous, everywhere, well trained,friendly and professional
Subway stop is 200ft from the front door, cabs are easily available, the hotel is in a very safe area, with lots of restaurants, shops, etc. nearby.

Its a comfy bargain, in our favorite location. We will be back.

Room Tip: We were on the 7th floor, and it was silent at night. We slept very well.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed April 5, 2012

We stayed in the Hotel Stanford twice, at Xmas. Hotel is around the corner from Macys great location. Rooms cleaned and beds made everyday for you. Staff very friendly, safe in each room , I could not fault the place really. One little downfall is the free breakfast, it is the same everyday , muffins, pastries, bagels, juice n tea, that was it, more variety would have been good, but it did the trick in the mornings.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple