“Good location, depressing room” 3 of 5 bubbles

Stewart Hotel
Ranked #210 of 467 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
New Delhi
“Good location, depressing room”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2014

Affinia Manhattan has a great location, just across the street from Madison Sqaure, and surrounded by great places to eat and shop.
We had a suite with two rooms, a pantry, living room, and one bathroom. I would suggest that if you need two bedrooms, then you need two bathrooms, so choose that option instead.
The last time I stayed here, the suite was massive, but they seem to have 'refurbished'. Frankly, I found the room depressing. Bit dark and dank for the price.
The pantry was very handy for tea, coffee etc.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
      Rooms
1 Thank AartiSethiKhanna
ASpektor, General Manager at Stewart Hotel, responded to this review, July 12, 2014
Hello AartiSethiKhanna,

Thank you for your review.
While you seem to have enjoyed your stay with us and have even stayed with us on previous occassions, I'm a bit surprised by the room description. Our rooms and suites have recently been renovated with a clean and fresh color palette including refreshingly placed floral motives on the wallpaper that add interst and dimension to all our guestrooms and suites.
We do appreciate your loyalty and business and do look forward to welcoming you back.

Alex Spektor

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,026)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Albany, NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2014

I have written a review of this hotel a couple of times before, but those reviews were deleted after the recent major renovation of this hotel. It is difficult for me to review this hotel. It is a good hotel, but not nearly as convenient or livable as it was before the renovation.

Gone are the full kitchens that used to be available in most rooms and made longer stays very comfortable and homey. Only some of the rooms have kitchens now, and they no longer have ovens, refrigerators with freezers, a good supply of utensils and the roominess they had before that made this hotel a great bargain compared to other hotels in the area.

Perhaps it is the luck of the draw, but the rooms I have gotten after the renovation have always been smaller, sometimes significantly, than the ones I got before the renovation, so I have the feeling they broke the rooms up to make more rooms available, and/or combined rooms to make some expensive very large suites. I always marveled at the size of the rooms before, but the rooms I have gotten since the renovation have all been smaller than those at comparable hotels I have stayed at in the neighborhood.

The renovations are tasteful, and the decor is more modern than it was before. However, I don't know how long they will last. Everything within the rooms is more cheaply made than previously. For instance, the square sinks in the bathroom are cool looking, but they do not drain efficiently and are made of some sort of flimsy material. I do appreciate the new window coverings. They are extremely effective in blocking out light - so much so that we all slept until 10 am one Saturday morning! If you are on the quiet side of the building, you will get a very good sleep for Mid-town.

The location is extremely convenient if you take Amtrak, which is why this is one of our go-to hotels. No need to plan your last day around getting back to your hotel to get your luggage and hoof it to Penn Station - all you have to do is walk across the street.

The staff is helpful, if low key, especially the bell staff, who are very efficient and will help you get your luggage to the curb if needed.

I have not eaten at the hotel restaurant, Niles - always too loud when I have been in there, even early in the evening - bad acoustics for talking - and I haven't used room service, but there are plenty of places to eat from national chains to delis to fancy restaurants nearby. This is a business area, so a lot of restaurants are closed by 9:00 pm or even earlier, but there are enough late night and all night places around to have something to choose from. The front desk or concierge are both helpful at providing lists and suggestions to meet your needs.

So, this is a good, solid hotel. If you can get a room during one of their sales, it can be a great buy, although not as much nor as often as pre-renovation. If there isn't a sale, you may be better off looking at some of the other neighborhood hotels, such as the New Yorker or the Hampton Inns.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
      Rooms
2 Thank Librarian1998
Dear Librarian1998,

I appreciate your detailed review and feedback. I would espcially like to thank you for your loyalty and business since you have been back a few times already.
The renovation has allowed us to re-categorize some of the guestrooms and suites to suit vast feedback we have received from majority of our guests. At this time we have guestrooms and suites - some of them suitable for business travelers with a preference for a comfy bed over size, however, also suites which are suitable for longer term leisure guests and families. Some of the suites that we have are larger than most NYC apartments and should you wish to book either one of them, I suggest you go with one of the One Bedroom or One Bedroom Deluxe Suites. They all have kitchens and are extremely comfortable whether you are staying overnight or up to a month. I do hope that you have enjoyed our clean and modern decor and that we'll get the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

Once again, thank you for your loyalty and business.

Kailua, Hawaii
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2014

This was our second visit to the Affinia Manhattan and we enjoyed our stay once again. The location is ideal to subways and close walk to Times Square and Madison Square Park. We walked a lot this trip and it was all very easy from the hotel. Jenny at the front desk was super friendly and Marceau, the bellman, was also very sweet and helpful.

We had a deluxe 1-bedroom suite, which was very spacious with a full kitchen, many closets, and 2 bathrooms. The bathrooms are tiny, as this is an older building, it's to be expected. I do wish there was more counter space in the bathrooms to store my toiletries, that the shelves available for storing toiletries were not directly over the toilets (risk of face cream falling into the toilet!) and that the toilets were not the industrial style you find in public bathrooms, but those are my only wishes for this property. Having the 2 bathrooms with a family of 4 is so wonderful and wish that was more of a norm in other hotels' suites.

The beds are very comfortable, even the sofa bed. Internet is now free at the Affinia, though if I recall correctly, you still need to call down for a new internet code daily. We will definitely stay at this family friendly hotel again!

Room Tip: Upgrade to a suite which has 2 bathrooms if you have more then 3 in your room.
Dear sashak808,

Thank you, thank you for such a lovely review!
I'm thrilled you had a the chance to meet Jenny and Marceu - aren't they just exceptional at what they do?! I'm very happy that the One Bedroom Deluxe suite was suitable for your family and the two bathrooms (which are very hard to come by in NYC hotels) made your stay that much more comfortable.
We are very happy to provide complimentary internet to all reservations booked directly through our website, and while there is a code to access it, it is not changed daily so the same code can be used throughout your stay.
Should you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to call or email us directly.
Thank you for always choosing Affinia Manhattan.

Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2014

Love the location, staff very polite and helpful, room was great as it had lots of room for my family. Just little things such as late getting into room but given late check out and was offered money off room rate and fridge freezer was iced over and not working. An old hotel but a good one in a perfect location with lots of room for a family.

Room Tip: Get a suit in stead of two room if you have more than two children. Room had large living area with...
1 Thank Stubel
ASpektor, General Manager at Stewart Hotel, responded to this review, July 18, 2014
Dear Stubel,

thank you for your review and such wonderful comments.
Our location is exceptional and I'm glad you had first hand experience in just how close we are to all the New York City attractions. Our hotel has recently undergone a top-to-bottom renovation and we are always working on imroving our product, service and overall comfort level to accommodate our fantastic travelers like yourself. I do hope that your travels will bring you back to New York and Affinia Manhattan will be your go-to hotel.
Thanks for staying with us.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2014 via mobile

First Time here on a business trip. The lobby is spacious and welcoming. Loads of people downstairs as free wifi in common areas. On 20th floor in a corner room. Big space with signature comfy bed, 3 sweater sofa, lamp shades and decor to the latest trends. There is also a separate area for working/coffee/fridge. Downside:the bathroom is a show box. Considering there are three wardrobes in this room they could have extended the bathroom using one of them. There is no centralised light switch so u have to turn them all off individually. There is a Ihome radio which charges and houses iphone5 a great improvement from the ones ego have the old connector. Considering its location it is very quite apart from the individual air conditioning unit mounted to the window. Overall a good hotel with friendly staff and central location.

Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Dear cdcworld,

thank you for a great and positive review!
I appreciate your feedback and our team will love the kind comments for them. Next time, I suggest booking directly on our website which provides you with complimentary internet throughout the building-in the guestroom as well as in the lobby. I think that might be a bit more comfortable if you prefer to have some quite time. Thank you for choosing our hotel and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2014

This hotel was very central to Macys, Times Square (without being too close) and many other tourist destinations. The hotel was well kept and the room was not too noisy.
Best of all the concierge service was excellent as there are so many attractions to behold in New York. My husband and I travelled with another couple and we were all happy with the standard of this hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
ASpektor, General Manager at Stewart Hotel, responded to this review, July 13, 2014
Dear Barbara O,

thank you so much for such a delightful review! I'm thrilled to see what a fantastic experience you had at our hotel and just how helpful our concierge team was. Thank you for choosing Affinia Manhattan this time and we look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Alex
Arlington, TX
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2014

I have stayed at the Affinia Manhattan at least a dozen times, mostly on business. This trip was purely personal with my family. There were 8 of us and we reserved multiple rooms. Everyone of us had an outstanding experience. Staff is extremely friendly and accommodating. When I checked in the front desk even upgraded one of the rooms to a suite with a living room where we could all hang out together when we were not out on the town. Rooms are generally spacious, and while clearly not luxurious, the rooms and furnishings are efficient, clean and perfectly satisfactory given the hotel's very reasonable prices. Finally, my favorite feature is the Affinia Manhattan's location. Almost directly across the street from Penn Station where you can find subways and trains to almost every attraction in NYC. Plus walking distance to several attractions. Location cannot be beat, especially for the price.

1 Thank Rexmonster27
Dear Spence_B,

thank you for your review!
For a General Manager, it's hearwarming to read just how kind and friendly all of the staff members at the hotel are and that you felt completely taken care of from the moment you stepped in the front door. Please be sure to check back on our website for some exciting deals and packages and I'd love to welcome you back very soon.

Alex