We had a two-room suite with 2 bathrooms, which worked out very well for our family (mom, adult daughter, adult son) during our 8-day, 7-night stay. Mom & daughter shared the bedroom, with ensuite bathroom and walk-in closet, and son took the fold-out couch and the other bathroom. The three of us had plenty of room, which was a real surprise given our previous experience with Manhattan hotel accommodations!
I'll get the few negatives out right away, and please note that each was resolved. We had 3 problems on check-in: our confirmed early check-in request was not on file, but a suite as booked was available: a food package delivery requested for 11:00 (i.e. on arrival, with the time confirmed on the itinerary the hotel itself provided) was not delivered until late afternoon/early evening; the air-conditioning unit in the bedroom was not working the first night, but we mentioned it on our way out the next morning and it was fixed by the time we returned that evening.
Yes, the rooms are a bit tired in spots (window air conditioner units rather than central air, no towel bars in one of the bathrooms), but most of the wear and tear (scuffs on the wall, as an example) is from guests. The elevators were slow, but there were signs indicating that they were being serviced, and apologizing for the delays, so that was ok.
Now the positives, of which there are many:
Location, location, location - great starting point for walking, shopping, sightseeing, transit etc.
The staff are welcoming, professional, and treat you as individual guests, not just customers.
The late afternoon happy hour is a lovely touch, especially during our stay as everyone in the lobby got quite sociable in front of the big screen showing World Cup soccer games.
The size of the rooms is a luxury in this price range in this area.
The design of the kitchenette is very good (would be excellent if fridge opened the other way).
The Housekeeping staff were friendly, efficient and unintrusive.
Good water pressure in the showers, and good quality shampoo, lotion, etc.
Quiet - we heard some street noise but nothing from other rooms.
Beds are comfortable.
The concierges were uniformly well-informed and helpful.
The door staff were very helpful with luggage, taxis, etc. and are terrific greeters.
I love the lobby!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- An upscale hotel with an airy, elegant lobby in Midtown (near the border with Chelsea), this property is less than a block from Penn Station and Madison Square Garden. The lavish guest rooms have flat-screen TVs, iPod docking stations and WiFi (surcharge). Studios add a kitchenette, while the 1- and 2-bedroom suites add full kitchens and separate living areas. Some suites feature an additional bathroom and/or terrace. Shared amenities include an on-site fitness center, self-service laundry and a contemporary American restaurant. There is a complimentary wine hour for guests. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Expedia, Agoda, Priceline, getaroom.com, Hotwire, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your Stewart Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Affinia Manhattan Hotel New York City
- Affinia Manhattan New York City
- Affinia Manhatten
- Southgate Tower New York