“Room to move, and a great location; first choice for next trip to NYC”
Review of Stewart Hotel

Stewart Hotel
Ranked #211 of 473 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed June 17, 2014

We had a two-room suite with 2 bathrooms, which worked out very well for our family (mom, adult daughter, adult son) during our 8-day, 7-night stay. Mom & daughter shared the bedroom, with ensuite bathroom and walk-in closet, and son took the fold-out couch and the other bathroom. The three of us had plenty of room, which was a real surprise given our previous experience with Manhattan hotel accommodations!

I'll get the few negatives out right away, and please note that each was resolved. We had 3 problems on check-in: our confirmed early check-in request was not on file, but a suite as booked was available: a food package delivery requested for 11:00 (i.e. on arrival, with the time confirmed on the itinerary the hotel itself provided) was not delivered until late afternoon/early evening; the air-conditioning unit in the bedroom was not working the first night, but we mentioned it on our way out the next morning and it was fixed by the time we returned that evening.

Yes, the rooms are a bit tired in spots (window air conditioner units rather than central air, no towel bars in one of the bathrooms), but most of the wear and tear (scuffs on the wall, as an example) is from guests. The elevators were slow, but there were signs indicating that they were being serviced, and apologizing for the delays, so that was ok.

Now the positives, of which there are many:
Location, location, location - great starting point for walking, shopping, sightseeing, transit etc.
The staff are welcoming, professional, and treat you as individual guests, not just customers.
The late afternoon happy hour is a lovely touch, especially during our stay as everyone in the lobby got quite sociable in front of the big screen showing World Cup soccer games.
The size of the rooms is a luxury in this price range in this area.
The design of the kitchenette is very good (would be excellent if fridge opened the other way).
The Housekeeping staff were friendly, efficient and unintrusive.
Good water pressure in the showers, and good quality shampoo, lotion, etc.
Quiet - we heard some street noise but nothing from other rooms.
Beds are comfortable.
The concierges were uniformly well-informed and helpful.
The door staff were very helpful with luggage, taxis, etc. and are terrific greeters.
I love the lobby!

Room Tip: Even on the 18th floor, and on the 31st Street side of the building (i.e. not directly facing 7th Av...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
ASpektor, General Manager at Stewart Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 23, 2014

Dear VRMurphy,

I am thoroughly impressed by your review and feedback! It is very important to me as the General Manager of Affinia Manhattan that our guests feel at home, feel comfortable and enjoy their stay from the moment they walk in - and it seems like you did just that! Our team has found your comments delightful and appreciates you sharing your Affinia Manhattan story. Whenever you decide to visit NYC again, please be sure to contact us directly; we want to ensure that your next stay with us is just as memorable as the first.

Alex Spektor

Write a ReviewReviews (5,611)

Reviewed June 16, 2014

Wow! Fady (manager) and Jenny (reception) certainly know how to deliver good service! We will always be grateful for their problem-solving skills and rescuing our holiday from potential disaster, a shining example of how to deliver individual care and attention in a busy hotel. With us 3000 miles from home and, due to administrative error elsewhere, they took it on themselves to solve our problem brilliantly. We admire their calm professionalism and still appreciate the way they used their skills and experience to find us somewhere to continue our 40th Wedding Anniversary sojourn.

Room Tip: As you can read, we ended up staying elsewhere. The customer was more important.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LameyBoy

Dear LarneyBoy,

What a splendid review! I'm truly impressed with the kindness conveyed via your review here on Tripadvisor for our Front Office team. Fady and Jenny exemplify what superior customer service is about and they will be thrilled to see what a difference they have made in your travels - this especially being your 40th Wedding Anniversary. Congratulations and the Affinia Manhattan Team wishes you many, many more!

Reviewed June 16, 2014

Me & my partner stayed in March for 5 nights. After 7 months apart due to him being deployed with the Royal Navy, Affinia Manhattan made this trip one to remember! On arrival we were given a room upgrade, which the suite we were given was fantastic. Normally you can't wait to get home to your own bed after a holiday, I didn't want to leave this bed... Comfiest bed I've ever slept in & after the days consisting of walking this was just what you needed.

One tip, make use of the ear plugs provided! Fire station being right near the hotel isn't the best thing but honestly the look of the hotel and the service you get, this isn't a major problem! At the end of the day.... You are in the city that never sleeps right??

Checking in was fast (after reading some reviews of this I was a bit worried after the long flight but within 10 minutes of arriving at the hotel, we were checked in and in our room).

I though typical New York City hotel rooms were small? Well not this one, it was bigger than I could imagine!

This was my third stay in NYC and my best yet!

I honestly cannot recommend this hotel enough, please please please ignore any negative reviews! When I book a hotel the first thing I do is look at reviews which before my trip I was a little worried after reading some but I didn't come across one fault.

Thank you Affinia Manhattan and all the lovely staff that helped me before and during our visit!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank KatieG93

Dear KatieG93,

Wow! What a special story!
I'm thrilled that our team was able to make your stay and experience at Affinia Manhattan and in NYC one to remember. Whenever you decide to visit NYC again, please don't hesitate to contact us directly to ensure the fantastic memories only continue.
Thank you so much for staying with us this time.

Reviewed June 15, 2014

Perfect location in manhattan. 3 metro stop on the 1-block walk. The rooms are a bit worn. we had a perfect view of 7 ave and madison squere. Much noise from the traffic but that did not stop our sleep. The staff is very polite as everyone in nyc. would stay here next time too.

Room Tip: 1110 has a beautiful veiw A/C was so loud that we could not use it, had neither needs of the
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank tomppi84

Dear tomppi84,

thank you for such a lovely review and the gorgeous pictures! We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Alex

Reviewed June 13, 2014

Good hotel but terrible location unless you want to be right in the heart of tourist district. Good if you are doing the sites but we visit once a year for business. very clean and nice rooms, nice bar and free wine hour!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Hannah C

Dear Hannah C,

Thank you for your review.
I'm terribly sorry to see that you did not enjoy our central location. Our hotel is most definitely in the heart of NYC offering beautiful, clean rooms and friendly and helpful staff members from the moment you walk in the door. Once again, thank you for choosing Affinia Manhattan.

Alex

Reviewed June 13, 2014 via mobile

This hotel is well positioned for all the sights/theatres in Manhattan. Oppoisite Penn Station and Madison Garden. Chose this hotel because we landed at Newark Liberty airport and you can get a train straight into Penn Station in 20 mins and cross 7th Ave and your there. Stayed here 22 years ago when it was the Southgate Tower so knew about its convenient location. Near enough to Times Square and theatres. (Go see Book of Mormon).

Great hotel room wise and attractive public lounge. Wifi free in lounge but expensive in room. Never ate here so can't comment. Front desk staff very helpful and did get airconditioning unit repaired/replaced when returned to hotel.Plenty of clean delis nearby for fresh cooked and uncooked food.

When in New York you must visit Bryant Park located between 5th and 6th Ave. This is a relaxing and refreshing place in an otherwise mad and hectic city.

• Stayed: May 2014
3  Thank joseph n

Dear joseph n,

What a lovely review! Thank you for such kind comments and it's such a pleasure to welcome you back after 22 years!!!
I'd love to share a tip with you: next time just be sure to book your room on our website and you'll automatically have complimentary wifi in your room. I also appreciate your neighborhood tip to visit Bryant Park - which as you mentioned - is a must visit.
We hope to see you soon.

Reviewed June 11, 2014

So as usual.....I will give you the good, the bad and the ugly....let's start with the good....I got off the plane Sunday night and there was a message waiting for me from the hotel. There had been an issue with my room...so they needed to change me to another room....they were mortified that there was an issue and went out of their way to fix it....so along with a discount....and chocolate in the room (nice touch there!!) and free breakfast.....it was fine....( but I loved the extra steps....speaks volumes to me!!!)

I had a one bedroom suite with a kitchen and a terrace.....there is no other way to stay in the city in the summer....it was perfect. The terrace was big....it had a table, chairs and umbrella so I ended up taking some of my meeting up there. The evenings it was great to sit out there....the room was comfortable (I tend to like a softer bed...but that is just me...) there was someone staying with me on the food out couch and they thought that for a fold out it was very comfortable so that was good. The kitchen was great. We were able to put food in to snack on and that came in handy during the meetings as well.

Did I mention there was a terrace....yeah....it really was awesome!

Ok...so the bad.....its a very very big hotel...and that if fine.....but I think the three days I was there on two of huge elevators actually worked....so that got to be a bit crazy....they had signs out that there were working on hyphen...so it was not a surprise....just not great when there was a wait...and even that didn't happen to often if you maneuver around the tourists....yes....this is a tourist hotel.....you have to be ok with that....doesn't bother me...that is some seriously good people watching.....

The ugly....ok...it's weird..but I was not crazy about the wallpaper....honestly....I can't think of anything to terrible. The bathroom is small.....and sometimes smelled musty...but that is really it.

The room service and restaurant in the hotel were both good. The lobby is big....and can get loud...but again....great people watching.

A girl named Ashely went above and beyond with the room issue....and that really meant a lot....

I would 100% go back....and I would want a terrace again for sure!!! and I would recommend it to anyone who asked. It was reasonable....which is also a plus. Ok....that's all I got....what are you waiting for.....go hang out in NYC.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank szferris

Dear szferris,

thank you for your review and feedback.
Looks like you had a wonderful time at Affinia Manhattan and found our team to be extremely helpful and friendly. I look forward to sharing your comments with Ashley as she loves to read our guests' stories here on Tripadvisor. Whenever your travels bring you back to NYC, we would love to be your home away from home.