“Wonderfully convenient hotel, perfect for a visitor to NYC”
Review of Stewart Hotel

Stewart Hotel
Ranked #200 of 466 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Melbourne, Australia
“Wonderfully convenient hotel, perfect for a visitor to NYC”
Reviewed April 17, 2014

This is mostly a tourist hotel I think, but it's a good one. It's clean and comfortable and exceptionally well located (almost directly opposite penn station). It can be noisy but it is NYC so it's probably difficult to get a quiet hotel and certainly not in this price range.

Our room was smallish but clean and comfortable, the bed was excellent and despite the outside noise, we slept really well. The bathroom was tiny though and we could really have benefitted from some bench space.

For the price though, and this is a relatively inexpensive hotel for NYC, it's a perfect crash pad. You can do better but you will pay a lot more. You can pay much the same as this and get a lot worse, it's pretty good value all up.

Must complement the staff too. We arrived in the wee small hours and the two staff on reception were lovely, made the check in process very simple. The wine hour was greatly appreciated too.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room, though that's a relative concept in NYC.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
ASpektor, General Manager at Stewart Hotel, responded to this review, April 24, 2014
Dear ejw3039,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your review of your most recent stay.
What a delight it is to read details of your stay and see just what a great time you had in New York City as well as at the Affinia Manhattan. You are absolutely right – the location is simply superb, our rooms and suites immaculately clean and our staff always available to assist with anything you might need. We do hope to see you again very soon and be your home away from home in New York City.

Alex Spektor

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,131)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Peterborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 16, 2014

stayed here with friend for 4 nights on our first trip to New York City. Completely fell in love with the city but no so with this hotel. It did the job as far as having a crash pad to use, the restaurant was very good - food very fresh and bar men really friendly and helpful. The bathroom in the hotel room was mostly inadequate - there was zero shelving meaning that we needed to keep all toiletries etc in the bedroom; the shower however was quite powerful.
I had emailed the hotel the week before saying that this was a pre-wedding treat for my friend and could we possibly have the nicest room possible in our price range. At the time of booking (3 months ago) I had requested 2 beds in our standard room and was told that would more than probably be fine and wanted to check - I had no reply. Unknown to me, my partner emailed and telephoned the hotel also to ask for an upgrade to a suite - emails unanswered and 'phone rang out - needless to say he gave up. So, in essence - an ok hotel if you don't want to spend long in your room. Best point was location - excellently located opposite Madison Square Garden. Communication with guests not great and we did not get the pillow menu either!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Nadine J
Dear Nadine J,

Thank you for your review and feedback.
It looks like you had a great time in the city and enjoyed our central location right across the street from Madison Square Garden. I do apologize that you encountered some challenges during your stay, however, I am interested in collecting some additional reservation information. We do pride ourselves on have a very helpful and attentive team here and it seems like you did not get to experience that firsthand. Furthermore, having gotten feedback from our guests that they prefer to select their various amenities and pillow preferences online, we no longer offer the pillow menu in the room. I look forward to hearing from you and speaking with you soon.

Reviewed April 15, 2014 via mobile

Just arrived here with my son. Extremely quick and friendly check in. First room although beautiful only had one bed and we needed one bed and sofa bed. After a quick visit to reception to explain the situation we were given an alternative room which again is beautiful. I like the art deco feel of the hotel and the modern updated decor. I don't see a problem with the hotel corridors which I have read about in other reviews. We are now on the eighth floor and I don't mind the traffic noise. I've stayed in London many times and it doesn't seem any noisier. We are next to the church which has a bell but again I don't mind. After all we are in the city that never sleeps!! As a guest we get 20% off in the hotel restaurant and we will be trying that at some stage. I was a bit nervous about getting from airport to hotel but took the air train and N J transit. Walked with confidence and purpose and was fine. Only 12.50 dollars each way.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank CherylWales
Dear CherylWales,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your review.
We highly appreciate the feedback and kind words you had to say while staying with us. Additionally, I’m delighted to see that our team was able to accommodate your requests and preferences when it came to the room option to accommodate you and your son. When it comes to transportation from the airport – whatever option you choose, the travel is extremely easy. Whether you select a taxi or train, being that we are right across the street from Penn Station, you’ll be here in no time. Thank you for choosing this Affinia Manhattan this time and we look forward to welcoming you very soon again.

Moss Vale, Australia
Reviewed April 14, 2014

I stayed at this hotel a few years back and it was great experience I also stayed last November and it was not good experience at all…….I paid a premium of $400 a night for 5 nights for one person.
I spoke to the manager and he gave me his business card and said email me when you get home I will give you 3 nights free just email me when you get home……..I have emailed several times with no reply……I also emailed head office with no reply I am a regular visitor to NY and this is the worst treatment I have experienced also the most expensive

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Val W
ASpektor, General Manager at Stewart Hotel, responded to this review, April 15, 2014
Dear Val W,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your review.
I’m terribly sorry to hear that you did not have a pleasant experience last November and would love to chat directly with you regarding the details of that stay. Would you please contact me via Tripadvisor Messenger at your earliest convenience. Once again, thank you for your review and I look forward to speaking with you personally very soon.

Saratoga Springs, New York
Reviewed April 14, 2014

This was our family's second stay at the Affinia. The location is great - we took the train in, my husband and sons went to a Knicks game, we shopped and ate, ate and toured. We got the room we asked for, it was clean, etc. BUT check-in was a true nightmare. I checked in online, got a text saying the room would be ready at 2:00. Long story short - we couldn't get into the room until nearly 8:30. It was a horrible, exhausting experience and we weren't the only family dealing with it - there were 3 other families who either couldn't get in the room they reserved or, like us, waited for hours. The only positive was the gentleman who finally got us into the room - Will? He was the person who had to tell me -around 7:30 pm that the room still wasn't available. He handled a very difficult situation with calm professionalism. In fact, every staff person I met did their best to be helpful and courteous, despite some failure by their management. For that reason, I think we will still consider staying here for our next trip, but will be a bit nervous until we actually get the room!

Room Tip: We asked for a room facing MSG - one bedroom suite for the second time. It was noisy, but that was p...
Dear 198Mitzie,

Thank you for taking the time to provide me with your review.
I’m terribly sorry to hear of your experience as that is simply not the norm at our hotel. Would you please contact me via Tripadvisor Messenger in order to connect directly and review some of the details. I look forward to hearing from you soon and rectifying this situation.

Burlington, Canada
Reviewed April 14, 2014

We stayed 3 nights in room 2331 which had a separate living area with couch (which was a hide-a-bed) and a bedroom. Rooms were clean, not particularly large - to be expected in New York. "All in" price was pretty high - over $1100 for the 3 nights - I guess that's what you pay in NYC.

Street noise can be brutal, constant honking and sirens -- again to be expected in New York. The walls were thin, but thankfully our neighbors were mostly quiet.

There is a free wine tasting between 5-6 every day. A true highlight and a real unexpected bonus.

Staff was super friendly and accomodating. (Thank you Jonathan and Randy).
Our room was not ready when we arrived - we waited about 20 minutes (enjoying the wine). We were given a free breakfast and upgraded room for our trouble!

By the way, don't bother with the breakfast buffet, there is a great bagel place right across the street - better and cheaper.

Affinia is diagonally across from Madison Square Garden and Penn Station on 7th Ave. On foot, Macy's is about 3 minutes away, and the Empire State Building about 5 minutes. It is an easy 15 minute walk north to Times Square. It can feel a lot longer on the way back after a long day. It is a hike to Central Park or Rockefeller Center, but we did it.

We got discount tickets (same day) using BroadwayBox.com for Chicago. There were no discounts available for Pippin, but we found amazing seats (again same day) for face value on telecharge.com (avoiding 'brokerage' fees).

Room Tip: Higher floors may be better
5 Thank John F
Dear John F,

Thank you for such a lovely overview of your stay and experience in New York City.
It looks like you thoroughly enjoyed your accommodations at our hotel favoring our central location and impeccably clean rooms. I look forward to sharing your kind comments with our front office team who clearly made a very positive impression. We look forward to many more visits in the future.

Newbury, UK
Reviewed April 14, 2014

It can be very difficult to find suitable accommodation for myself (female) and my teenage son travelling together. He's too old to share a room, but not old enough to have a room of his own, so we generally end up, as at the Affinia, finding a suite with a sofabed in the sitting room. Guess who gets the sofabed? In this case, it was quite comfortable, but, despite several emails and a phone call telling them that we needed to use it, we arrived at 1am to find that it was not made up. Never mind, someone appeared within five minutes to supply sheets. Unfortunately, however, all I had apart from sheets was one blanket. My son, in his luxurious bed, had a lovely duvet... My son also had controllable heat. In the sitting room, the heat was on constantly, so that I had to sleep with the windows open if I wanted to survive the night. Was OK, but incredibly noisy - we discovered that the nearest fire station was just around the block... Tried to use the air conditioning unit, but that was absolutely deafening.

The hotel has obviously been newly refurbished, but it seems that some elements have been overlooked. For example, the bathroom had a new sink, and new tiling, but the bath was apparently still the old one - quite chipped and discoloured.

Despite these small niggles, the hotel was comfortable and had everything we needed. I particularly appreciated the corner kitchen, with fridge and microwave. It was kind of them to upgrade us so that we did not have to share a bathroom - we had one each. And there were plenty of cupboards. It is also incredibly well located. Just opposite Penn Station, with access to/from JFK. Short walk to the Empire State, Times Square and Macy's (where we got 10% off using our room key card). Starbucks right opposite (but then, there's always a Starbucks opposite everything...) was convenient for breakfast - blueberry oatmeal, yum.

Will definitely choose the hotel again for next visit.

Dear herindoors,

Thank you for providing us with your lovely review of your most recent stay.
I’m very happy to see that out of all the hotels, you find that the Affinia Manhattan always has the right accommodations for you and your family. We have some wonderful and incredibly spacious guestrooms and suites with different configurations of the bedrooms and bathrooms. Our location, right across the street from Madison Square Garden, Penn Station and just a ten minute walk to Times Square puts us in one of the most sought after areas in New York City. And I’ll be sharing your comments with our restaurant to let them know that they have another blueberry oatmeal fan!
Thank you so much for choosing the Affinia Manhattan.