6,291 results
All reviewsaffinia manhattanpenn stationmadison square gardenniles restaurantnew yorkone bedroom suitetimes squarewine hourstreet noisean upgradesmall kitchensofa bedcity that never sleepsempire state buildinglight sleepercentral locationupon check
Reviewed January 10, 2014

I too don't understand the negative reviews. The hotel has been remodeled. The location is fantastic. It is right across from Penn Station which was wonderful if arriving from a train and it is 3 degrees outside. Check in was quick. We got free wi-fi as returning (thrid time) customers. Bar is very sleek yet inviting. I would come back for a fourth time.

Our room was small and the window did not close but it was really hot so not so bad. Yes we had ear plugs in the drawer but we did not use them. We told the front desk about the open window and they had it fixed while we were out.

I would definately stay again.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper and not used to noise just tell them when you book and they can find you a quieter room. We asked to be away from the elevator and did get a room that was far enough away to be quite quiet.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank janeg99
ASpektor, General Manager at Stewart Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 12, 2014

Dear janeg99,

Thank you so much for a great review! It’s wonderful to hear about your experience at the Affinia Manhattan and am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us! Feedback from guests is of utmost importance to us and we use it to continually improve our product and service and ensure our guests are satisfied. Once again, thank you for your review and I look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed January 10, 2014

Stayed at the Affinia in Jan 2014 for 4 nights, Will on the check in desk was wonderful and as it was our honeymoon upgraded us to a suite. Suite was very spacious and clean, just missing a big bath. Had a fantastic view from our balcony over looking Maddison Square Garden.
The hotel is opposite Penn Station, which is ideal to get to and from JFK. You also save a lot of money getting the air train from the airport instead of a yellow cab.
The hotel is 10 minute walk from Times square, Empire State Building & Macey's.
Reception/lobby can get quite busy as its the only place you can get free wifi, they also offer a free glas of wine between 5pm-6pm (always nice).

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Clewlow1970

Dear Clewlow1970,

I would first like to Congratulate you on your Honeymoon! I am thrilled that you chose the Affinia Manhattan for such a special and momentous occasion! Moreover, I am very happy that you enjoyed your suite and found our hotel to be in an ideal location opposite Madison Square Garden and Penn Station and just a few blocks to Times Square and the Macy’s flagship location on 34th Street. We look forward to being your hotel whenever you visit New York City. Wishing you the best in your future!

Reviewed January 9, 2014

a lot better hotel than I imagined but it had one big miss, which prevents me from loving the hotel. I would probably stay here again if need arises but I would get a different room next time.

Good:
customer service- allowed me to check in early. got me free upgrade. as far as I can tell, front desk was courteous to other people too.

room- I stayed in suite, and it was spacious with little kitchen. nice property.

location- close to everywhere.. especially Ktown

Bad:
My room was located near Services Room where employee elevators are located. Unable to sleep through the night and early morning due to noise.

Room Tip: Avoid room 1027
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
ASpektor, General Manager at Stewart Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 10, 2014

Dear Christopher_C_Chung,

We highly appreciate you taking the time to provide us your review. I’m happy to see that overall you enjoyed your stay with us especially our attentive and friendly front office team, the spacious suite and our central and convenient location in the heart of New York City. Your feedback is highly appreciated and will be utilized as we continually make improvements in all areas of our operation.
We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed January 8, 2014

My family and I stayed at the Affinia Manhattan the weekend before Christmas. We arrived at the hotel at 1.30 and our room was not ready. But we were given our room keys and room number so when we returned we would be all set. When my wife and daughter went up to the room at 4.30 there were still people in the room. I went to the from desk and the receptionist ask me to wait while he talked to the manager. Now if I am in the service industry and a guest is paying over $600 a night for a room in my hotel and I am the manager I talk to the guest. Instead I waited 5 minutes as was told the prior occupants were given a late 6pm checkout. When was the last time you got that? We were suppose to get a 100 credit which also did not happen. So the next day 12/24 I emailed the hotel but have not heard back from them

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank James L

Dear James L,

Thank you for your review and feedback. I am highly disappointed to learn of your experience during your last stay. This is not reflective of the exemplary service and attention to detail our team is known for and I sincerely apologize that you did not get a chance to experience that. I invite you to contact me directly via Tripadvisor Messenger to discuss this matter in more detail. I look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed January 8, 2014

Caught out by the Polar a Vortex in 2014 we came back to the city after 12 hours in the airport for one night in the city before catching a train to Washington. The hotel is just across the road from Penn Station so that was great. If I was going to Madison Square Gardens this hotel would also be a good choice.

The room was really nice and also large. Kitchen separated nicely and equipped adequately.

That said, the escalator up to the main lobby level once you enter the Hotel from Seventh Ave was broken so lugging heavy suitcases up with no help from any staff was back breaking. The front desk is on the upper level and out of immediate site. This is the one thing the hotel needs to address in my view.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Rob D
ASpektor, General Manager at Stewart Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2014

Dear Rob D,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your review. We highly appreciate our guests’ feedback as it continually helps us to improve our product and service. The Affinia Manhattan is in a fantastic location in New York City – right across the street from Madison Square Garden and Penn Station as you mentioned. Thank you for choosing the Affinia Manhattan-we look forward to your next stay with us!