“Fabulous except for the noise!!!”
Review of Stewart Hotel

Stewart Hotel
Ranked #202 of 467 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Leopold
“Fabulous except for the noise!!!”
Reviewed September 20, 2013

We are a family of 4 with 2 children- 6 & 9. We are from Australia and it was our first trip to New York. It was so hard to decide where to stay without it completely blowing out of control. On recommendation from someone we decided on a 1 bedroom deluxe suite at the Affinia Manhattan. Everything about the hotel was fabulous- the location, the staff, the actual apartment- such a bonus having 2 bathrooms and 2 wardrobes HOWEVER if you book please be aware of the NOISE. The windows are not sound proof, in fact it sounds like there is a window open at all times. I did complain and room changes were offered however it was all too much drama- however by the 4th night with road works right outside we took them up on their offer. They did bend over backwards to accommodate us but I felt I shouldn't have had to go through this with 2 young kids in the first place. If ANYONE is going to stay PLEASE ask for a room not located near 7th Ave or you will be awake all night. Maybe if enough people complain they will make their windows sound proof- which in light of the recent renovations, find it astounding that they are not sound proof.

Room Tip: Ask for a room AWAY from 7th Ave
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank MVM81
Joseph K, General Manager at Stewart Hotel, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
Dear MVM81,

Thank you for your comments.

We're pleased that your first time in the Big Apple was with the Affinia Manhattan. We hope when you return, you make us for your hotel of choice.

Joseph Kelly, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,143)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Green Bay, Wisconsin
Reviewed September 20, 2013

I ended up at this hotel due to Priceline's Name your Own Price. They put me in what a front desk clerk called their "petite room" initially. Jenny came to our rescue and placed us in a different room which most likely has not been remodeled. That room had a shower fly infestation. I sent an email to the hotel manager but heard nothing before our departure. Judging from the other comments, I guess it was the Priceline quality rooms that I got. When I bid for a four star hotel, I expect a four star room. My bad!

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Rstary
Dear Rstary,

Thank you for posting your review on Trip Advisor.

Thank you for mentioning Jenny. It is great to hear positive comments about our team.

We hope to see you again.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 20, 2013

Just returned from a four night stay. Lovely hotel, good location geographically.

Pro's:
Free in room safe.
Very helpful staff, always seamed to be someone around when we needed them.
Free wi-fi in lobby.
Six lifts to cater for the 28 floors so didn't have to wait long for one.
Spacious room (one bed suite) with a comfy bed and extra pillows if needed.
Concierge very knowledgeable.
Two entrances which was handy when one was busy due to check-ins.
General location in city was great.

Con's:
Fire station VERY close to hotel, we thought ''Surely there can't be that many fire's?'' but it really was noticeable. Each evening/night must have heard at least five so be prepared to be woken up.
As it's situated on main road you can also hear taxi's (mainly) beeping each other non stop all night as they all lane change and turn which is so annoying and effected sleep quality. They do offer ear plugs so use them if you remember, however that doesn't 100% release the issue.
Both above not hotels fault but still need to be said,

Design of sink (square and 100% flat) meant that it didn't drain properly so you have to clean it even more so than in the UK, not ideal when on holiday and itching to explore. Same to be said for shower.

Within a 10second walk of Starbucks, 5second walk of a Dunkin'Doughnuts, 30second walk to Subway(fast food chain not tube) a 2minute walk to McDonalds and a 30second walk to Penn Rail/Subway Station on 34th street (mainline station).

Found out MANY tips when exploring not relevant for this post so if anyone needs advice please feel free to email me :]

Room Tip: Higher room would be better, in room wi fi is sooo expensive so try use free lobby wifi.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Tim G
Dear Tim G,

We are pleased you enjoyed the free wifi, spacious room and general location. We located near Times Square, Macy's, Broadway and the Empire State building. In addition, we are situated near some of the best dinning in NYC.

We hope to see you soon.

Castle Pines, Colorado
Reviewed September 20, 2013

Here are some tips for a less than restful night sleep in a hotel.
1) Stay in a hotel that is next to a busy fire station. Check
2) Stay in a hotel that is down the street from a famous church with loud bells. Check
3) Look for windows in your room that are so thin and poorly fitted to the frame that it is like having the windows open all the time. Check
4) Make sure that the window air conditioner clicks on and off frequently. Check
5) Notice the card that says if I need earplugs I can just get a pair at the front desk the day I'm checking out. Check

For Manhattan the room was large enough for my family of four. It had a little kitchen that had a tiny stove, half sized fridge and nice sink. The bathroom was smallish but not the smallest I've seen in the city. The daily complimentary happy hour in the lobby was one of the highlights of our stay. The staff was very nice and welcoming, even presenting my young girls with little stuffed gorillas when we checked in.

The hotel is fine if you aren't interested in a good nights sleep. But, if you have a hard time sleeping with loud noises all night you might want to find a quieter part of NYC like I will next time.

Room Tip: Go high or wear earplugs.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Dear Leslie850,

Thank you for reviewing the Affinia Manhattan.

We are pleased you enjoyed the complimentary wine hour. We host this daily, from 5pm to 6pm, with a selection of red and white wines guaranteed to delight you.

We look forward to your next visit, and hope to see you soon.

Toronto
Reviewed September 20, 2013

We visited NYC a few months ago and chose to stay here because of the close proximity to Penn station.

Location: excellent location as we flew in and from the airport, took the train, got off at Penn station and the hotel was right across the street. Walking distance to many attractions and if we needed to go somewhere by subway, Penn station was just a few steps away.

Service: Great service. They first made a mistake with my reservation and told me I booked for 1 night, when I actually paid for 3 nights through Priceline. This was quickly resolved after I showed the reception my confirmation from Priceline. What impressed me was that I had forgotten to bring a toothbrush but was about to go out and buy one when my bf decided to call down to ask if they had any. They did! A few minutes later, we heard a knock on the door and were supplied with a toothbrush and toothpaste!

Rooms: the rooms are spacious and the bed is comfortable. It was useful having a fridge as well to store our drinks. My only complaint is that it was quite noisy at night because we were close to the elevators. Ear plugs are provided.

Amenities: we did not make use of the amenities so I cannot comment. Internet was quite slow in the lobby and unreliable.

Overall, reasonable priced hotel in an excellent location. Would consider staying here again the next time I'm back, but will make sure I get a room away from the elevators.

Room Tip: Get a room away from the elevators!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear kagome999,

Thank you for posting your review of the Affinia Manhattan on Trip Advisor.

We are so pleased that you loved the service. Our team goes above and beyond to make our guests feels like family.

We look forward to hosting you on your next trip to New York City.

Basingstoke, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 20, 2013

OK, so there are a wide range of opinions on this hotel, many of which I had read through before our stay last week. So we were unsure what to expect, but having spent 4 nights there I can honestly say that we had no cause for complaint!

We were in room 812 - which is one of the small, basic guest rooms. I've seen reviews on here complaining about the size of the rooms but we found it perfectly adequate! We were in New York to see the sights after all....not spend all our time in the room!

While the bathroom was very compact it served its purpose - bath, shower over bath, sink and toilet. In need of a re-tile and spruce up but given the hotel is fully booked most days I can imagine its not top of their to-do list!

The bedroom area was clean, nicely decorated and very comfortable.
Again..... its not a huge room but with a large bed, big TV, desk area large wardrobe with safe and fridge it was perfect for our requirements. Somewhere comfortable to sleep after a day on our feet.

Our only complaint would be the rather dilapidated window mounted aircon unit.
Gaps around the edge that you could see daylight through and some taped over with duct tape?
This really should be replaced or repaired as it did look quite poor.

That said, it gave us no issues during our stay and is covered when the blind is down.

The staff could not be faulted, always on hand with a smile and a sense of humour to assist whenever we asked.

I would say that it seems a bit behind the times to charge for WIFI in the rooms ($14.95 per 24hrs) but while in the lobby areas you can access free WIFI for 1hr per time. (we noticed it let us use this more that once)

The location is perfect - right opposite Maddison Square Garden & Penn Station. This made a great base for us to walk up to Central Park and down to Wall street and across to the Hudson...... we walked ALOT!
But remember..... its New York, so expect traffic noise / sirens at all times of the day and night.
Plenty of ear plugs available from the hotel - and I am a light sleeper and still managed fine :-)

Plenty of restaurants / coffee shops / deli's near by. (We recommend TreDici Steak & Brother Jimmy's BBQ)
With a fridge in the room we kept a few bits and bobs in there for snacks etc.

We booked this hotel via British Airways holidays as it came out as one of the best deals - so I cannot comment on the individual room prices.
But they must charge inline with similar standards of hotels in the city as they were fully booked throughout our stay.

All in all we were very happy with our stay at the Affinia Manhattan and would happily stay there again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear strongmum,

Thank you for taking the time to provide such a detailed review of the Affinia Manhattan.

It is always good to hear great feedback about the staff and location.

We hope to see you again soon.

Morristown, New Jersey
Reviewed September 20, 2013

Things didn't go well when I stayed at the Affinia Manhattan in May. Several things went wrong, the worst being that two tourists entered my room with a key while I was inside. Incredibly, the hotel had checked another guest into the same room and given them a key. The front desk staff was unapologetic and unhelpful, and no one from the hotel ever followed up. I left a detailed comment on the the hotel's followup email survey, and I was pretty happy when I got an email from the hotel's Executive Office Manager Daniela after she verified all that had gone wrong.

Daniela wrote to offer me a complimentary night in a Deluxe Guestroom as an incentive to give the Affinia Manhattan a second chance. In order to use the offer, I was to contact her directly with an offer number she provided in the email. The offer was good for a year, subject to availability and approval.

Unfortunately, actions speak louder than words, and the hotel hasn't come through with a complimentary night for me. They've only offered up more incompetence.

Last week, I tried to follow up on Daniela's generous offer. I emailed her to say that I'd be in town a week later and asked about availability. I admitted it was relatively short notice and said I'd understand if no room was available. (I did first check the hotel website to see if a deluxe guestroom was available the night I would be in town, and it was, though I didn't mention that in my email, because I thought it would be annoying to say "I see a room's available.") To play it safe if nothing was available, I also made a backup reservation at another hotel.

After two days without hearing back, I emailed Daniela again (triple-checking the email address). I also phoned her and left a polite and simple message on her voice mail to say that I was trying to follow up on an offer, and would she please reply to my email or give me a call? I also sent email to reservations@affinia.com, in case Daniela was sick or on vacation, though that seemed unlikely, because there was no alternate contact or out-of-office message on her email or voicemail. I didn't call the hotel's regular reservation number, because I thought it might be confusing to explain this offer and because Daniela specifically asked me to contact her directly.

It's now been five days with no reply. The cancellation period for my backup reservation has ended, so I won't be staying at the Affinia Manhattan this time.

It's a shame the management is such a mess. No respectable business ignores questions to multiple email addresses and phone numbers and makes empty promises - even just occasionally. I can't be so uniquely unlucky to believe this isn't par for the course at A.M.

That said, the hotel is in a great location, and the property has a lot going for it. If you're lucky and nothing goes wrong, you might have a great time. In fact, I had a great stay myself in July. Despite my ill-fated May visit, I chose A.M. again after a very last minute decision to stay in the city the night before an early train out of Penn Station. The rate was good and my decision was last-minute, so I didn't try to take advantage that time of the complimentary night that was coming to me. During that stay, I tried Niles, the hotel's restaurant, and I enjoyed the meal.

But, kind of like not being able to give more than 2/5 to a hotel that gives random tourists a key to your room, I can't give more than 2/5 to a hotel that's either a) a complete failure at communication or b) that is making promises it has no intention to keep, or c) blacklists a repeat customer who thinks its appropriate to complain when the front desk gives some tourists keys to his room. Whichever it is.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Joseph K, General Manager at Stewart Hotel, responded to this review, September 20, 2013
Hello Steve, I'm sorry that you had had a problem reaching us. I have sent you a personal message and ask that you call me directly so we can talk and resolve this issue together. I'm glad you did enjoy the hotel on your next stay and we look forward to having you back for a problem free stay in the very near future