“don't believe the hype” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #161 of 479 Hotels in New York City
Boston, Massachusetts
“don't believe the hype”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2011

This is a good hotel, a very good hotel, but not a great hotel. The room was comfortable but there were a few items that worked poorly or were confusing. The toiletries were very nice, but some had been previously used and when I finished them they were not replaced on the second day. I would stay here again only if I had business in SoHo/Tribeca.

• 2 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Providence, Rhode Island
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2011

I have been staying at the SoHo Grand for over 10 years. Unfortunately, due to a job change, my frequency deminished over the last 3-4 years. However, a of late my stays will be increasing to 2 -3 times per month. Upon arriving recently, it was great to see all the familiar faces and be greated with great warmth and sincerity from all the staff. From Jose & Martin on the front door to Kelly in Guest Services. There are a lot of hotel choices in NYC, however the SoHo will always be my first.

• 5 of 5 stars
GrandLifeHotels, Guest Relations Manager at Soho Grand Hotel, responded to this review, March 1, 2011
This is so wonderful to hear! All of our staff members who have been here since we opened in 1996 - Jose, Martin, and Kelley included - love seeing familiar faces return year after year. We are so glad to have you back.
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2011

we had the best weekend, the soho house was amazing our room was beautiful right when we walked into the hotel i felt like i was in europe and when i walked in my room wow the view was beautiful looking out over the city with the lights off amazing, The bedroom was so beautiful and the bathroom was wow didnt want to leave my room,
The Hotel staff couldnt of been nicer from the being when checking in, to taking us to our room they couldnt of done enough for us. The bar area was beautiful and so nice as were the beautiful people hanging out. We cant wait to come back to stay at the soho house we loved it.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank aaron1617
san francisco, ca
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2011

I used to adore, absolutely just adore staying here back in the late 90s and early 00s. It was THE place to be in SoHo. However, after many years away, I spent Valentine's there with my partner. I thought it would be special. I recall being pampered, and every little thing being so so special and well done.

It is still a very fine hotel, but if you are looking for that extra level of special, this place just isn't it anymore. The room service was shoddy, they got the order wrong, the snacks in the honor bar looked like a trip to a faded drug store, instead of the special wonderful irresistible high end treats you'd expect at at top hotel. I mean, Twix Bars and Kit Kats and Hess Merlot or whatever, they all have their place. But not here! I want that extra touch, that product that says, We have taste and here is the latest and greatest thing. Not some junk food.

The views are wonderful for NYC, with distant rooftops and, hey, we even had the Empire State Building. Loved that. The bed was as comfortable as they come, but the sheets had a hair or two when I checked in. They were clean, but there were hairs there, and also in the sink and bathtub. The lotions, shapmoos and products were poor, probably bought from the same suburban drug store where they bought the Twix. Nothing special.

Breakfast at the restaurant and lobby was dodgy. The food is still great, really delicious, but the service was very poor, I have to say. We and the tables surrounding us, all waited forever for coffee, and food, and the check, which doesn't go down well with people up early on a Sunday morning after the late night drinking.

All in all, it's still a good hotel. A very good hotel. The check-in people are real pros. You can't beat the location. But upon reflection, I should spent my money at 60 Thompson or the Mercer, or better yet, just saved the money. I mean, really. You don't need to spend time inside hotels in NYC if you're doing the City up right, so a better value is certainly out there. The whole point of the SoHo Grand is to enjoy the scene, and you can do that without renting a room there.

And as for the location, a place like Gild Hall in the financial district is a far better value. Or the Smyth. You're on the subway anyway, right?

I'm so sad! I used to worship every moment at this place! They are still fine, don't get me wrong. It's not bad at all. It just isn't that top notch special place that you want it to be.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank girlbird
Thank you so much for your comments, girlbird. We're committed to maintaining strong relationships with guests like you, who have been with us since the beginning. First off, I want to thank you for your loyalty, and I'm very sorry that your recent stay did not live up to expectations. I can completely understand your frustration with the service in the lounge, and I can assure you that kind of wait is not typical on a Sunday morning. We pride ourselves on excellent, timely, dependable service; for this experience to fall short of these standards is disappointing, and I sincerely apologize. We've had a few bumps in the road, but have recently found our stride again with the launch of a new menu and the introduction of our new Chef, Richard Farnabe, who comes with years of experience in boutique hotels.

It's our goal to keep guests like you coming back, which is why I would like to extend a complimentary upgrade to one of our highest room categories on your next visit to NYC so you can experience a wider range of in-room amenities, as our products vary by room type.

We truly appreciate and value your feedback, and we hope you will return on your next visit to NYC. Please contact me directly if I can be of assistance with anything else you might need.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2011

second to none in NY, the soho grand is a home away from home. its always a pleasure to come back and sad to leave. great staff, beds are amazing, views are incredible and its a cool place to hangout.

Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2011

I have been neglect in visiting this site to lay praise at the feet of the Soho Grand, the consistently great stays and experiences I have had there over the course of the last 12 months. From the outstanding curbside services and greetings (these people remember you and your visits like you were just there the day before...), to the smooth check-ins (my room has never not been ready upon check-in), to the quiet, tranquil rooms, to the very attentive service in the bar and restaurant - on top of a great scene, great people, great vibe (stayed in plenty of NYC hotels, this one of the best for ambiance...). OK, some of the pricing can get a little whacked depending on what is happening in NYC during your stay, but this happens no matter where you may stay in the city. Some of the greatest NYC restaurants in the surrounding four square blocks of the hotel (Cipriani Downtown two blocks away - tell them Wim sent you...), shopping too very good. All thumbs up, way to go Soho Grand -

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2011

Rooms are spacious and clean. Bar area is a great scene. And something you don't often get in ny...the staff is friendly, courteous and really makes it a great experience.

• Stayed February 2011