“New Years at the Soho Grand” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Soho Grand Hotel

Soho Grand Hotel
Ranked #169 of 475 Hotels in New York City
washington dc
“New Years at the Soho Grand”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2007

My girlfriend and I stayed at the Soho Grand over New Years as it was in close proximity to one of my friend's apartments. The hotel checkin was on the second level and no one seemed willing to help my girlfriend or I with either our bags or the door. This may have been because they were getting ready for a new years eve party and were indifferent to the guests staying in the hotel. Beyond the initial impression, the service at checkin was really easy and the woman at the front desk was very friendly, especially given the fact that she was working on new years.

The hotel room was nice and spacious. The bed was very comfortable, but we were in the room next to the elevator, ask for a room further down the hall so as not to hear the beeps. Room service was so-so, but hit the spot after a night out.

Overall, the hotel was in the area we wanted and fit the bill. We had booked two nights earlier and had gotten a good rate. There are nicer properties, but if business or pleasure put you in Soho, I would recommend the hotel.

Stayed January 2007
4 Thank cboer711

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
san francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2007

I recently stayed four nights at the Soho Grand hotel and my stay was exceptional. I arrived *very* early on the day of my check in as I took an over night flight and was expecting to wait for my room as is customary with most hotels. I couldn't have been more pleased when the gentleman (very nice and personable Aussie) at the front desk made an adjustment and assigned me a room that was immediately available. I was thrilled and this act set the tone for my stay.

The room was very clean, well appointed and had a great view from both windows. The house keeping service was exceptional: friendly, accommodating and most importantly, I never felt rushed to exit my room for daily cleaning. Every morning the hotel delivered a wonderful continental breakfast of various pastry and muffins as well as coffee and juice. I loved that you get to choose your breakfast arrival time and change your order daily - nice touch!

The front desk and concierge were always helpful and friendly when I asked questions about local shops and locales. When I needed to ship some items back to San Francisco and needed the location for a local FedEx, the front desk offered to ship them for me - unbelievable!

The only glitch in my entire stay was an errant fire alarm sounded at 3 am for quite some time. I thought a note under my door the following day would have been nice, but I know that may have been expecting too much for a true glitch with their system.

My check out was very easy and the doormen and bell hops (bell men, really) arranged a car service to the airport for nearly the price of a Yellow cab. The Soho Grand does it again! Just great!

All in all my stay was so wonderful, that the Soho Grand is now my default home away from home while I travel to New York from now on.

• Liked — Location, luxury appointments
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled on business
7 Thank JamesFer
Evanston, Illinois - USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2007

We originally had reservations at the Tribeca Grand Hotel, the sister hotel of the Soho Grand, which is about 2 or 3 blocks South of the Soho Grand.

The Tribeca Grand was very loud, and you can see my review at if you search for the hotel in Tripadvisor. We only stayed at the Tribeca Grand for one night, and we moved to the Soho Grand the next night. I was there for 2 nights on pleasure followed by 3 nights for business.

The Soho Grand was for me a much better choice than the Tribeca Grand. The hotel seemed to have tourists, and business people staying there.

I was primarily there for business and it was a good choice becuas of it's proximity to the downtown financial district (Wall St area), but it offered a lot of things to do and places to eat in the evenings.

My room and the public areas were very clean, the bed was very nice (see picture) and the staff was unusualy friendly. I really have nothing bad to say about the hotel - sure, it was expensive but this is NY.

Here are some pics

• 3 of 5 stars
4 Thank Tom M
DC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2007

The place looked great. That's the only nice thing I can say. The service was insanely bad. I am a frequent visitor to NY for work and usually stay near my office in Times Square. I will stick to the W, Royalton, or Westin Times Square where the rooms are bigger and nicer and I'm not treated like crap.

I don't mind a little haughtiness, but I found the staff at Soho Grand to cross the line from haughty to seriously rude. I've lived in Manhattan- I know attitude and have a thick skin. I'm also a mid-20s woman with fashion sense and an expense account- I would have thought I'd be their target client.

• Liked — Looks chic
  • Disliked — Service blew
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled on business
9 Thank Anonamiss
Brooklyn, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2007

Our room was comfortable if small (the Grand chain has small rooms, but they're well laid-out and comfortable). Basically, it was fine, but I found that a lot of the small details were a little worn. The old-looking Dean&DeLuca/Citarella stuff in weird little tins for $12 is less than appealing. However, the mini-bar selection is huge and funny. Nice shower stuff, very decent bathroom. Comfortable bed and nice linens as you would expect. Definitely wait for a deal. Neighborhood has become like a giant outdoor mall. Very convenient, though. Staff here are really pleasant.

• Stayed January 2007, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars
7 Thank chioggia
Baltimore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2007

We wanted to stay in a really great, funky, expensive boutique hotel in NYC for a short vacation. We picked this because it's in Soho near where we wanted to be and it wasn't as expensive as the W properties.
It's really very charming. The rooms are small, but it's NY so what do you expect. The decor is cute, there are flat screens and stereos in the rooms too. The pillows are NOT soft but the bedding is good other than that. It's not much more than a decent Westin so it's worth the price, but dont' expect it to be as exciting as a W or another hotel like that. The bar/lounge is a happening little scene too and the overall location is fabulous for shopping and gallery hopping.

• Stayed January 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank abby2121
paris france
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2007

We stayed in the Soho Grand just before Xmas and were sorely disappointed, the location is GREAT, really in the middle of one of the buzziest neighbourhoods in NY and seconds away from some of it's best shopping and restaurants,which is why we chose it.Unfortunately, that was about the only thing that was.Right from the beginning, the staff, including the doorman were really offhand and curt to the point of rudeness.
The entrance, lobby, bar and restaurant area are great to look at,unfortunately, they seem to have spent all the refurbishment budget there and forgotten about the rooms.
The rooms are small and shabby,when we got in, the curtains were stained and hanging off the curtain rail, everything was scuffed and stained, and it all looked like it'd been cobbled together by the "Changing Rooms" team, we called the manager and asked for another room, something newer with less wear and tear,we were curtly informed that these were the new rooms and that was that, no apologies or helpful suggestions.
The thing is, that not only was the room tired and dingy, it felt and looked grubby, the cleaning staff is really not up to scratch at all.The bathroom was small but cleanish, although, it looked as if everything had been bought at Ikea and don't expect an American Power shower experience, there is one non-adjustable shower outlet over the bath and a plastic shower curtain - the shower head was covered with black,flaking gunge.The toilet wouldn't flush and we asked if they could send someone up and waited and waited, finally a guy arrived, poked about a bit and said it was fixed, it wasn't-I think it actally worked about one in four times.
In fact, don't expect anything above the bare minimum of amenities,there isn't even a chocolate on your pillow or even a complimentary bottle of mineral water.We called down to housekeeping to borrow an adaptor, to charge a phone and were told we couldn't borrow one, but they would sell us one for $10.It all seems really miserly and mean in a hotel that is charging this amount of money- $550 a night + taxes.
The doors to the rooms haven't been fitted properly, so every time someone shuts their door, it reverberates all the way down the corridor, it's noisy and there always seemed to be room service trays left along the corridor,the rooms hadn't been double glazed(hello!!!, this is New York- the city that doesn't sleep)so it's really noisy outside as well..
The staff simply acted as if they couldn't care less about their guests, there would be a 20 minute wait to get a waiter to pay enough attention to you so that you could order a cup of coffee and then another 20 minutes to actually get it.I ordered breakfast there one morning and it arrived after a wait and managed to be both cold and burnt - after that we just went out-I didn't want to spend another penny in the hotel.
The concierge was rubbish, as well, we asked him to book a table at Pastis for 8:30 pm the next evening, and he said he would,we had no confirmation message, so the next morning we asked if it had been done, Oh! he said, hadn't we got a message?- No, Well they could only do a table at 10:30, so he'd just left it, we asked if he'd called again that day and he looked as if this was a completely new idea to him- he called and got us a table, but we found out when we arrived it wasn't in the restaurant as we'd asked, but the café, which is much more tightly packed,so we cancelled and went somewhere else after all.
The staff all seemed to be under the mistaken impression that because they work somewhere"hip" that this makes them somehow stars themselves and therefore feel they can treat paying guests with condescension and snottiness and a good dollop of New York attitude- all of which you are supposed to be tipping!.
I couldn't recommend this as a hotel to stay in, as I said, the common areas are nice, so drop in for a drink at the bar,don't bother with food, everything I had was decidely mediocre.The area is wonderful and if you could get a really good rate and don't mind grubby rooms and lacklustre service, then it might be ok for you.
The problem is that the New York hotel industry has been spoilt for far too long,they can keep the prices exorbitant and the service poor and people are still falling over themselves to come; so I guess there's not a lot of incentive to change anything.
I love New York, I'll be coming back, but I definitely won't be staying here.

• Liked — it"s location and view
  • Disliked — the small scruffy rooms and the attitude of the staff.
  • Tips/Secrets — find another hotel that seems to genuinely value your custom
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled as a couple