“Got Better!”
Review of Soho Grand Hotel

Soho Grand Hotel
Ranked #168 of 470 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed January 23, 2014

I used to visit the Soho Grand in the mid-nineties when it was the hot thing in town and it was a very good hotel. However, I think that it is a better hotel now. The staff and services are better, less "stuffy" and pretentious. I got a very good reception, the door guy was very nice and courteous. The check in was fast and they even remember my name after 10+ years without staying there!

The room was on the 14th floor, very well appointed and comfortable. Good space. WiFi worked perfectly and bathroom was clean and nice, good size also. Bed comfortable although pillows are on the soft side and did not work for me.

Everything is very expensive there so I did not use the mini bar or had breakfast at the hotel. The lobby bar is nice and intimate, used to be very noisy! the restaurant has a very nice selection of American whiskies although I only stopped for a beer.

I was positively surprised that even as years have gone by, the decor is the same and it looks fantastic!

My only negative is that regularly, guests tend to be very noisy and you will inevitably find the details of your neighbor's night out. I have had this experience every single stay and although I understand it is not the hotel failure, it is always annoying if you are trying to sleep.

The Soho Grand is my go to place in New York and still is my number 1 choice when looking for a bed in NYC.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (3,048)

Reviewed January 19, 2014 via mobile

From the moment we arrived the gentlemen at the front door were most helpful and accommodating with our bags and assistance for parking. Omar at the front desk was the most pleasant and helpful professional I've ever encountered at any Hotel ever. He had a great sense of humor and insured we had the best room possible and was generous with an upgrade and other freebies. The room was fairly decent size for NYC with tasteful and warm furnishings. The lounge and bars were just the scene we were looking for. Can't wait to come back.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 19, 2014 via mobile

Has to be up there as one if the best places to go and meat people whilst listening to great music and be treat with respect by the staff who are there to look after you
The door men are so welcoming and you just want to come back time after time

Not for those who like nice safe and boring

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 12, 2014

I stayed here for two nights in Jan on business and to be honest we weren't in the hotel much so I will keep this brief. We were there when it was -15c (6f) outside which is unusual. Also I had 5 hours jet lag to deal with.

The hotel is very stylish, 1930's gloomy with authentic low wattage light bulbs, I rather liked it.

I had a room looking onto the junction of W Broadway, 6th Ave and Canal and from the 7th floor there was continuous noise from the road, proper NY sirens, police, fire brigade, not all the time but quite a lot, and quite audible from the room. Also the air heater in the room made a real racket, on and off all night long, it was -15c outside so this is perhaps unusual. My colleagues didn't all have the same problems.

Obviously I had 5 hours jet lag to from London so I was awake at 4am everyday anyway, but I haven't had this problem in other NY hotels. Otherwise it was nice, comfortable and, as I said, gloomily stylish.

Water in the minibar was $10 which is just annoying when you have paid 350 quid for the pleasure.

It is in a cool area lots of restaurants and bars, I had nice cheap breakfast across Canal St in Crave for about $5 if you want somewhere quick for croissant & coffee.

It was £350 a night which is not cheap, but it was on expenses...

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank SouthgateFamily
Reviewed January 11, 2014

We stayed here for a week to see in New Years 2014. Had the best holiday of our lives and the hotel contributed to that.

We arrived to a big smile and welcome from doorman Ben, and when we got to our room a bottle of champagne on ice was waiting for us as it was my partners birthday. We didn't ask for that, they just did it. Excellent touch.

The location is excellent, right in the heart of the soho shopping district and far enough away from times square but you can still reach it within an hours walk or 15 minutes on the subway (if you feel the need to go). Its also a 5-10 minute walk to chinatown, little italy and loads of great restaurants.

The room was the perfect size, not too pokey and not too big. Decorated in a contemporary way, we particularly loved the bathroom decor.

We spent new years eve at the hotels black and white ball which was brilliant, we bought the general admission tickets and had a blast. Premium open bar until 2am and more champagne than you can ever imagine! Midnight was a riot! Definitely go if you're staying for new year!

If you want to experience the proper new york city, stay round here and visit the surrounding areas. Definitely hop over to willimasburg in brooklyn!

The hotel was full of cool people, the staff were all very friendly, helpful and attractive. There's no set 'uniform' which adds to the casual feel of the place and the bar guys certainly knew their stuff!

We're already planning our return visit and wouldn't stay anywhere else!

HOWEVER…. if you want to be in the centre of tourist things 24/7, times square, empire state, rockerfeller etc this may not be the hotel for you - stay closer to times square.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank tbboy87
Reviewed January 10, 2014 via mobile

A wonderful hotel, friendly staff and such a welcome away from home. Evening meal good and yummy porridge for breakfast and a relaxed environment and a willingness to always assist.

Good location and shops away from the crazy 5th avenue.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed January 10, 2014

I simply can't fault this hotel.
The accommodation, food and service were just excellent.
I particularly liked the location. The Soho area is a great part of New York with really nice shops, bars and restaurants.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business