New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Soho Grand Hotel

Soho Grand Hotel
Ranked #172 of 475 Hotels in New York City
Los Angeles, California
“Beautiful and Pet Friendly”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014 via mobile

Walked into a classically beautiful lobby with my dogs (and no pet fee). They checked me in, and sent me to my room with complimentary champagne. The room was clean with a comfy bed, and a bathtub. I had great apps and cocktails in the lobby bar. The most amazing dog park is part of the hotel. (I honestly can't believe they used all that NY real estate for pups, but was so glad they did!). Overall quite a lovely stay.

• Stayed September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Nottingham
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

A beautiful building with lots of character that is well considered in it's design. The majority of the staff are delightful and could not be more helpful but sadly the team is let down by one or two of the hostesses in the bar area who are decidedly snooty! The stars of the show are the doormen who are unfailingly helpful and polite, the housekeeping staff are also lovely.
The breakfast is excellent, and very good value for NYC.
My main gripe is with the hotels dog friendly policy - strange as we are dog owners and at first thought how lovely it would be to be able to bring the pooches along, unfortunately not all guests are considerate of others, or the needs of their animals and this can have a major impact. A room across the hall was occupied by a couple and three dogs, all was well until the couple decided to go out fr the evening leaving their furry friends behind with only the TV, on loud enough for us to hear when we came back from dinner, for company. At 10.30pm the dogs started barking, then howling, and continued to do so until the owners finally returned at 12.45am. The hotel staff were powerless to deal with the problem as one of the dogs was so unsettled it had become aggressive - the most the team could do was issue a warning and request that the owners return as soon as possible. The room had been soiled and the entire floor were kept awake. This experience has changed my opinion about dog friendly hotels and should we stay at one again the first thing I would ask would be whether they have dog free floors for sanitary as well as restful purposes.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank fiona1509
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014

Had a nice long weekend stay with my wife in Soho Grand. The hotel has a relaxed, nostalgic atmosphere with flavors of fashionable hip. The staff was very friendly and curteous. The lobby/bar area is small but comfortable. We were however disappointed with the size and quality of the rooms. We booked a deluxe to get some view but the room initially offered was facing constructions works on W Broadway side and very dark. Although the hotel is non-smoking, the floor also smelt like a bar. We were transferred to a corner room in the 15th which was significantly better. Both rooms were somewhat dated and small. No space to open your suitcase, yet a big minibar in the room (with silly prices - bottle of water USD10). Even on the 15th the rooms are noisy with street traffic. Also the AC is ancient and noisy, handset of the phone did not work.

Overall the friendly staff and practical location were worth a lot but I do not consider this a 4,5* and at an average of USD400/night somewhat overpriced. The potential is there but especially the rooms are in need of a refresher. The F&B prices are also very steep (a beer at 9 USD, glass of red wine USD 15+). We enjoyed our stay and would recommend the hotel but only at a lower rate. Based on what we paid there are better options.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank DPL9473
Chatham, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013 via mobile

Took my wife for an evening in the city to briefly depart from our quiet suburban life. I had a good feeling from the moment I booked by phone. Exceptional service and the warmth was evident immediately. Got there a bit late but no problems checking in. In fact, the woman that booked my stay picked up and made notes to the entire front desk staff about my arrival. The room was beautiful and quiet (corner king) on the 4th floor. So romantic. When we came back from dinner, the same woman whom I spoke with left us a plate of sweets and a note of thanks. Capped the evening with drinks at the Salon. Beautiful and and great service. Valet parking smooth and checkout a breeze. One of the finest establishments that I have ever been to anywhere in the world. Outstanding.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013 via mobile

We are sooooo coming Bach here . A really smart , cool and friendly hotel in a fabulous location for Soho and the village . Communal areas are excellent , especially the 2 busy and atmospheric bars . My room , 501 a little small and with poor outlook was still stylishly designed and fitted out . And heh : who wants to spend time in their room when in New York. I love the free wi Fi with no sign in required .....Hotel owners take note !

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
miami USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

My husband and I spent 5 nights at the Soho Grand over Christmas. It was a return stay and our experience was even better than the first time last August. There are several reasons we love the Soho Grand. First, the location is fantastic- guests find themselves at the intersection of Soho and Tribeca. Restaurants, shops, walks along the river- they are all inside a small radius. Convenient transportation to tourist areas to the north and south is minutes away. Second, the overall service at the Grand is outstanding. It begins at the front door (where Martin wows with his impeccable manners) and continues throughout the hotel, at every contact with staff. How do all these people remember my name, I wonder. Finally, I must mention my favorite part of the Soho Grand: the lounge area, where one can have meals or just drinks or just sit around and people watch. It is truly magical. The decor is dramatic (very high ceilings), and both spacious and cozy. We invited some friends there for drinks and nibbles on the first night. They were staying at another boutique hotel in Soho (like us they are from Miami) but loved the Grand's lounge so much they returned again two times during their 6 day NY visit. In the lounge, I especially want to compliment Matteo for his attention to detail, Svenska for her graciousness and Keith for his professionalism. In addition to great service, creative dishes, and the best cappuccino in town, the music choices add to the magical feel. All in all, my husband and I left new york smiling, and can't wait to return!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
new york
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

My husband, dog and myself just returned from a 2 night stay at the Soho Grand. We have stayed at many 5 star hotels in the city but this was by far the best experience we have ever had. The staff is truly fantastic and this is was made our stay so special. We really wanted to bring our dog Jasper, a really sweet Portuguese Water Dog puppy with us but we needed a pet sitter for Christmas day as we were meeting friends for a movie and dinner. The concierge tried so hard to accomodate us but no one was available to pet sit. Omar and Tom at the front desk volunterred to watch him and walk him while we were out. I was so blown away that they went out of their way to help us out!! From the door staff to front desk, concierge, food staff and all that we came in contact with, everyone was amazing. We loved it and can't wait to go back to the Soho Grand. Truly a 5 star experince!!!! P.S. Jasper loved the dog park!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family