“A matter of taste!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #174 of 478 Hotels in New York City
Hamilton, Bermuda
“A matter of taste!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

My husband and I have been staying at the Soho Grand since its opening every time we visit New York city. My husband is an architect and appreciate the understated homage to the history of Soho. There is nothing over the top or opulent, but it is one of the few boutique hotels in New York that is well executed and has and will age well compared to the other boutique hotels. Do not expect large rooms (although it is more spacious than 60 Thompson for instance). It does not have the luxury linens and towels like you find at the Jumeirah, Four Seasons, or the Windsor Arms hotel in Toronto, but I wonder if this again done in purpose to give it a rough hedge. Also, you have to like the Soho/Tribeca neighborhood to appreciate the hotel. We like the area because everything is there but on a smaller scale which makes it more manageable for shopping, eating out etc. We don't do shows or visits tourist attractions and this fits our needs.

The price can be steep and we make our travel dates flexible to coincide when the rates are reasonable. In the end they are in the business of making a profit but as customers we also have a price range that we reserve for low key trips and differentiate for special occasions. Would I pay over $600 for a grand corner king, no since it does not fall under my budget for which such prices are reserved for instance for Las Ventanas in Cabo.

The reason we like the Soho so much is first of all it is very clean, reliable and consistent. The staff is friendly and when I encounter a problem, I just let them know and they are usually more than considerate. If I don’t like a room or a floor, I ask for a change, and unless they are fully booked, I am normally accommodated. The atmosphere is relaxed and one can easily feel home away from home. It is not perfect but we feel it is a little gem.
Have we had bad experiences? Of course, for instance once, my husband and I were dressed to the nines and asked the concierge to recommend a good French restaurant and she mentioned Felix next door. We have nothing against Felix but it is more a bistro you go meet for a drink with loud friends, not for excellent French cuisine for a dinner a deux. So she could have recommended Bouley or La Grenouille, but perhaps her youth and inexperience got in the way.

I believe any reviewers (myself included) on such review website can have unrealistic expectations or can lose sense of proportion and forget that simple manners and not acting that people are there to provide a service but not to serve you. One can get good service by being fair to the circumstances.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank LeslieCKiddada

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Short Hills, New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

I recently stayed at the Soho Grand as a repeat customer. I checked out at noon and at 2 pm realized that I had left my hanging clothes in the closet. I immediately called and after talking to 2 security people was told "sorry we didn't find any clothes". No one had checked in my room by that time. I asked to speak to the manager and was told no, I only needed to speak with security. I followed up a few more times via phone and email and got no response. I even sent a picture of me in the clothes taken in the lobby to security! I will NEVER return to this hotel. The least they could have done is offer me a night. Bad service.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars
2 Thank deborah c
Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Great location, nice and clean, friendly staff, good wi-fi. My only real gripe was the lack of choice and price of the beers/wines in the main bar and their garden bar but that was easily rectified bu going somewhere else :)
The area is great but I might look around for something a little less expensive the next time.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

Its located in a trendy area of NYC and even has its own dog park next door for guests. I can see what they were attempting with the retro and distressed decor, low lighting and 50s style fittings. Unfortunately this jars badly with the prices being asked for services that can be got cheaper elsewhere. The handsome view of the Freedom tower being offset by the constant roar of traffic and construction that is currently taking place across the road. Small room size at this price.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Buffalo Grove
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

This hotel is right by Canal Street with all of its quirky shopping, and it was very nice. Rooms were small, but hey, it's New York. My only criticism was the bath and shower were very small. Good bar area, but no TV, so don't count on watching your favorite sport while your sipping your drink.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Haddington, Scotland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

Stayed here last week, wish i hadn't bothered. Very very expensive, both for accommodation, drinks and food. The outside street bar that is part of the hotel had no bacardi, no soco, no miller lite, i gave up in the end and left, but that was nothing compared to the bugs in our room, ee woke up one morning, i had four or five bites but my husband had 12, the hotel did move our room, but it spoilt the last two days of our trip! Dogs are allowed to stay in the hotel and relieve themselves outside the main reception! Hotel very dark and when you get enough light you see that the tables are dirty. Overpriced. Staff friendly enough.

• Stayed August 2013
Syracuse
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

I have always wanted to stay here and I finally did. No detail goes unnoticed at this hotel. Beyond friendly and helpful staff, concierge and guys out front. Food in restaurant was amazing and a perfect cappuccino was had in the morning.
I'll be back!