“A Great Diamond in the Ruff...”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Soho Grand Hotel

Soho Grand Hotel
Ranked #164 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Los Angeles, California
“A Great Diamond in the Ruff...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

This hotel thinks of everything. Great location, clean, and a super friendly staff. We stayed here with our pups and when we checked in we were greeted with a dog bed, bowl, and poop bags IN THE ROOM, this way we did not have to lug it to our room, genius!

The bed was soft enough for me, and firm enough for her...a rarity. Our room was on the 3rd floor and looked out on the street, I thought it would be loud, but it wasn't. The room was clean, modern, and yet sophisticated. We splurged and ordered room service, it was quick and yummy. Try the mac & cheese balls if you want love in your life!

We could not get over how friendly and nice everyone was. We met a guest relations guy, Sal I think he was really attentive, responsive, and friendly we wanted to take him home with us :).

The products in the bathroom were awesome, they smelled great and seemed high end.
I found out at check-out that there is free coffee, hot chocolate and what not in each hallway, so make sure to check that as well...overall the room was a little loud because of the lounge below, but the comfy bed, clean room, and amazing staff made up for it.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jbolton212

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Bensalem, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

First off... Excellent location if you like the Greenwich, NYU, and China Town type places. This was close to all those things and some artsy and eclectic food and shops. Speaking of which, the foor in the restaraunt in the Hotel was incredible (and priced accordingly). I love the view!!! We were staring at the site of the rising of the new towers! And we were only a 20 mins walk away form those as well. If you are an appreciator of fun movie stuff; the Ghostbuster's firehouse is right down the street as well. The holland tunnel is around the conrer so you can travel into Hoboken (to Carlos Bakery!!!) and over to the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island with relative ease!

We had a nice stay but sometimes the front desk's right hand had no idea what the left hand was doing (i.e. reservations details specific to us, conversations had with people on different shifts etc). Also, the room was slightly out date BUT to be fair, it did fit into the artsy feel of things (but for the price, you hope for something more). The rooms are clean and all the common areas are very upscale and comfortable. The parking service is awful; they used my front bumper to make sure the was was still there and intact and the hotel was unable to do anything about it but they have tried to make ammends in other aspects to assure our return.

NYC is an awesome place to visit no matter where you stay and we may try a few places before we decide to make the Grande our place of choice BUT you do have to stay at least once; if not for anything else, you can brag to your friends that you stayed at the SOHO GRANDE!!!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SamHaine
athens
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

Nice hotel, with a fancy bar. Great location, close to little italy, china town and famous balthazar for breakfast! Just a few stops with the tube from the 5th avenue. Not cheap at all but Good value for money i would rather say . . .

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank marina1979
New York, NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2013

I haven't had much experience staying in NYC hotel rooms so I was excited about the Soho Grand because I had walked by several times and was really curious about it. So I'll first start with the one big thing that is important to mention....I think the thermostat was broken in my room.

I stayed at Soho Grand for three nights. I don't know if it was because I wasn't paying attention or I'm someone who likes it a little warm but on the second day I thought, "Hmm..it's kinda hot in here." I went to the unit against the wall which had a little sign that noted the thermostat controls were next to the door. No wonder why I was sweating to death - the room was set at 64 degrees but the actual temperature was 78! Yikes. I turned it off, turned it back on and left the room to give it a little time. When I returned I was so tired that I went straight to bed to wake up and see the temperature was set to 63 degrees and actual temperature was 79 degrees! It was my last night there so I didn't say or do anything because I was way too tired but woah, now I know I don't need to go to the gym to sweat it out.

Other than that experience, the hotel is very thoughtfully decorated. The interior designer really took his time selecting pieces and carefully placing them in the perfect location. The room gave me some good ideas of how I want to decorate my own apartment. In terms of the bar, I prefer the Tribeca Grand. On the flipside, I prefer the location of the Soho Grand.

I got a good business rate and the hotel is a 5 minute walk to my office so it was very convenient. Would I stay again? Eh. I liked the Kiehl's products but the bathroom was so noisy that it sounded like a gym locker room. The Soho Grand is chic but the service is kinda blah. I think I only had the door opened once for me. I get better service going into my office building! 4 stars because I like New York and Kiehl's. The rest was 3 stars for me.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank nycbuttercup
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2013

Loved the location of this hotel. That's about where it ends. I really do not understand the hype this hotel gets. The rooms are absolutely tiny. The staff were pretty blase about everything. They could care less about you. The lounge downstairs was full of escorts. But when in NY, you don't really go to stay in a hotel 24/7 so it was ideal for our stay. Walking distance to fantastic restaurants and shops.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jamie P
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2013 via mobile

If you like Soho this is the place to go. However, don't expect anyone smiling in this hotel. Efficiency is not the strongest side either. Food you should probably avoid as there are much better places around. The bar is a cool place to hang out.

• Stayed February 2013
Oslo, Norway
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2013

Location:
Perfect location, quiet part of Soho. Short distance to "everything", subway, restaurants, cool shops etc.

Rooms:
Relatively small rooms, typical NYC size. Stayed in a deluxe double for 4 nights. City/street view.
Lovely bed, very comfortable, beautiful linens and pillows. Bathroom is very small...and we were two girls sharing, you can not be in there at the same time, and be aware when opening the door, if the other person is in the hall. The same goes for luggage, little space for two grown ups and for added shopping items, this room is filled up quickly. If you have the opportunity, get yourself a bigger sized room!

Service:
Impeccable!! Friendly, professional, nice and polite. Great concierge! No troubles, this hotel makes you feel welcome. Fantastic atmosphere at the bar with amazing drinks.
Leave some tip for the housekeepers during stay...they may be a little nicer with the amenities.

Conclusion:
Would stay again. As my stay was with a friend, our room was good enough, but if you stay as a couple, def take a bigger room!! The dream is to stay some nights in one of the penthouse apartments..For those who loves Soho, this is the hotel for you.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends