“Dogs welcome”

Ranked #169 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Perth, Australia
“Dogs welcome”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Trendy hotel in lower manhattan. Dogs are welcome , but we stayed for 3 nights and never heard one bark. Nice bar area but the dining tables and chairs could be better. Rooms are small but nicely decorated. Bed was big and comfortable. Bathroom was well fitted out with both a bath and shower. Staff are friendly and attentive.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Seattle
Reviewed November 5, 2012

The people at SoHo Grand were very, very nice, great location, cool bar...But....I'd made my reservation a month early, I requested as high as floor possible away from the elevator-I sent a follow up e-mail to confirm this a week out- I called the day before my arrival.

Then I arrive... at midnight... to find the only room open is the lowest floor right NEXT to the elevator (mind you at almost 600. a night). I take it, I am tired and need a shower- The nice front desk guy named Ben promising better room for the next night.

I get to the room... then things got bad- the bedroom area is cleaned but the bathroom is a mess- it never got cleaned, towels on the floor, toilet not flushed - you get the picture-Yuk. They come to clean I go down to bar to eat- they comp the meal- it is now 1am and I've got morning meetings.

Next morning I hit the breakfast room- I order corned beef hash, my favorite- a greyish bowl of mush arrives- I can't eat beyond the half bite - Tommy, the sweet waiter, brought some scrambled eggs to replace the hash, but then I open the butter foil and there is mold...yeah they comped that meal too...

I get to my new room and the TV dosen't work- yep - just dosen't work- I try calling the front desk and can't get through- go down - line at check in- phones all busy- went and got dinner came back and got the manager- TV got fix- Then I go to plug in my phone charger and they only brought half of it when they moved my things to the new room- at first they said there was not anything they could do- but soon re-thought that went to the old room and got the other half (that midnight guest hadn't arrived yet!).

Everyone always aplogized- and very graciously fixed things- Zoe the assistant manager was embarassed I could tell-

This is supposed to be a first class place- compared to Gramarcy Park at least I could see in the hallways (so dark I had to use a flash light there to get in my room) - and the rooms had good lighting and were laid out well- But I am still on my search for a well located, really good hotel (note I didn't say great- just really good)-

I am sorry to say spending top dollar doesn't get the best in this case-

2 Thank oenomelej
Brighton
Reviewed November 3, 2012 via mobile

Rooms are trendy, but like most New York hotels, are pretty small. What stands out is the bar area, which I type this from. We've been here for the last five hours; cocktails, people-watching and some great music have kept us here. I'm pretty sure we had other plans, but never mind!

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Ajijic
Reviewed November 3, 2012

Be prepared to have loose dogs all over the place - running, barking, totally out of control. AND, although illegal in NYC, this place allows dogs to be in their restaurant. That means while you are eating, dogs will be running between your legs, jumping on the couch next to you, barking, begging for food and of course the owners (for the most part) think this is cute.

There is no effort to stop a dog from barking all night. I told the front desk that the dog in the next room barked incessantly and nothing was done after 7 complaints.

The furniture is early Goodwill so be prepared to stay at a DUMP.

On the other hand, the staff (except for not responidng to my complaint which is probably owner-driven) is marvelous.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank LenInMx
Milan, Italy
Reviewed October 31, 2012

I can't imagine any place to be more "new yorker" than the Soho Grand. Chic in a low profile and elegant way, and cosmopolitan, it would be the perfect set for an episode of "Sex and the City". Rooms are not as large as you would expect in a hotel in the US, but the attention to every single detail will make you love it. It is expensive, however, and not surprisingly.

Reviewed October 28, 2012

Interesting stylish hotel in Soho, very good position for shopping and nice restaurants, I suggest Salume, 330 WB , for breakfast, lunch and great aperitivo. People are friendly and professional, amazing concierge service.
Rooms so and so: incredibly noisy air conditioning and poor acoustic isolation from the street. Price above average.
I would recommend . But Be careful to check room position .... And air conditioning system!
A

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Hull, Massachusetts
Reviewed October 18, 2012

Excellent service and staff - rooms are tiny but very clean - great location. Room service is faster than promised - food was not gourmet but better than average. My room got very hot and dry through the night - didn't find the temperature control.