“Swanky spot in SoHo gets my vote” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Soho Grand Hotel

Soho Grand Hotel
Ranked #175 of 479 Hotels in New York City
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Swanky spot in SoHo gets my vote”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2012

I took my wife to this hotel to celebrate her 40th birthday and couldn’t have picked a better place – well not without breaking the bank! It is in a great location in SoHo with bars, restaurants and great shopping on the doorstep. You can easily get uptown by taxi or from the nearby Canal Street subway stations.

We had a lovely double room with, for New York standards, plenty of space. The bed was really comfortable and the whole room was clean and well kept. The room had an iron and ironing board, iPod docking station, mini bar, small safe and a good size cupboard. It also had a great bathroom with a strong shower, bath and some really nice products.

We only had breakfast at the hotel which was delicious and served in the Club Room.

Some reviewers have put some negative comments about the attitude of the staff, but I think they miss the point. This is a smart, but cool hotel and the staff are very helpful but in a relaxed way. If you want lots of sucking up then you might be disappointed. We found everyone very helpful and friendly.

We’d definitely stay here again – we loved it.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
oak bluffs
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2012

Terrific staff, very friendly,energetic and accommodating with great good manners. The food in the restaurant is fresh and healthy and again you can ask for substitutions. And they know how to make cocktails. The many choices for areas to eat e.g. plush leather couches is also a benefit. One lounge room has a gas fireplace; very cozy. Apples in the elevator area and newspapers and wonderful coffee in the morning....heaven. The workout room is adequate. but the rooms themselves are cozy and comfortable and tastefully decorated. Another charming asset is that dogs are welcome and all the dogs I met were well behaved.
If I have any complaints it would be that at dinner the lights are too low to see your food and that is a shame because it is so good. I am not a fan of the music played it could be a bit lower in volume. I stay in a lot of hotels and this is my favorite hotel in NY.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
Melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2012

After staying at the Soho Grand in Dec 2009, I thought I would return on my latest trip in Dec 2011. Staying in a King room, the Soho Grand was as great as I remembered it. The location is great, close to great food, shopping. Also a 2 min walk to the subway on Canal. The staff are attentive when required and the service was fabulous. Great wifi connection was also available and was free (not sure if this was just part of my package or standard). The room was cozy and bed was seriously comfortable. The room service was also great and i loved their red velvet cupcake! I've noted that other reviews have mentioned that the hotel is "too cool for their own guests" but I didn't think so. I thought they were the right mix of attentiveness and I always received great service from all staff. It's definitely one of my preferred places to stay in NYC and I look forward to returning.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
Portsmouth
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2012

For NYC, this was a good price for a 4 night business stay.
Good wireless, very well stocked bar - even if it is pricey.
Unique spot in the bedroom mini-bar - a personal travel erotic kit!
Dim evening lighting makes the place feel very cool as the odd art scattered around the place makes even the most adept art critic amongst us go "I don't get it".
Room was very comfortable and the clock / ipod docker was a nice touch.
Bathroom was done out well, if the bath was smallish and shower OK.
The toiletries were cool, robe comfortable and generally I had no reason to fault the place.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Montreal
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2012

I have tried making a reservation at their website, (which directs me to some other site...) for two days at the end of December 2011, however I believe there was a technical difficulty on their end.

I have tried four different browsers (Safari, Firefox, Internet Explorer, and Google Chrome) on two different laptops; yet all of them lead me to the identical problem. I click on the 'Special Offers' in the home page, I select my dates, then on the second phase of the process, 'Rooms & Rates', the screen is cut in the middle, and I can't see after a certain part... Thus, I can neither see the associated total price, nor have access to any buttons to continue with the transaction.

Subsequently, I have tried making a reservation through telephone; the gentleman at the other hand of the phone, Mason, was kind. However, he said I would not be able to make a reservation at the time as the reservations office is closed...

Then through emails, another gentleman named George helped me. He was kind and professional too, except that he was not aware of the 'Weekender Double Upgrade' package's existence initially, until I lead him to the according website. I found their online advertisements of 'Weekender Double Upgrade Package' under 'Special Offers' deceiving and misleading. Once I click 'Book Now' and enter the dates, it lead me to a number of rooms with associated prices; which hints to the idea that it is valid on those dates (I do not know if the next steps prompt the visitor of the unavailability of such a promotion as the rest of the steps don't work at all on the reservations website). If there are no such promotions, then simply they should not put it under your 'Special Offers'.

Once I made my complaint George handled the situation well and granted the associated 'Special Offer' by giving a complimentary double upgrade to the room.

The room was OK-sized, considering it was in the middle of Soho, New York...
I LIKED:
- the view of Tribeca, the lighting,
- the stylish design,
- the complimentary coffee on the floor.

I DID NOT LIKE:
- finding an opened 'Body Lotion' on the floor in the bathroom,
- having stain on the main window (the last guest had obviously liked the view so much s/he put his forehead stick his forehead in the middle of the window, and the housekeeper did not realize it; honest mistake...)
- having been charged a fortune for a sub-par breakfast, which was supposed to be complimentary (extended my complaint to George, and he fixed the mistake for us; though we did not even eat the second day's complimentary breakfast there, it was that unimpressive)

I have been to Soho Grand Hotel on numerous occasions before and thought of the service and the atmosphere as charming, however never had the chance to stay until this one. It was OK; the lobby and the decor was impressive, and the service was friendly at all times; but for such a pricey stay, I would have expected more attention to detail and a more impressive overall stay to be frank...

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank bayimc
Greeley, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2012

My husband and I just spent two nights at the SoHo Grand hotel this past weekend and I have to admit we were disappointed. Friday night my husband was told we could not enter the Club Room because there was a private party going on, but the person "guarding" the door assured him that Saturday there were no parties going on and we could go in then. Saturday two of our friends checked into the hotel, and when the four of us went to enter the Club Room we were all told that we could not enter. We've never been denied anything at any hotel we have stayed at, not from a Hampton Inn to a number of Leading Hotels of the World we've enjoyed. The SoHo Grand did not have a problem taking the $1,800 we spent on their suite and their $20 cocktails, but when it came to their Club Room apparently that was a different story. Not to mention for a five star hotel, the doormen should do their jobs and open the door not look at you and say, "you got that" while they pet some passerby's dog or chat amongst themselves. We enjoyed our room and our view but that was about it, for us the SoHo Grand was not so grand and left us wishing we had kept our reservations at The Waldorf, where at least they pretend to appreciate your business.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
3 Thank Jennifer B
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2012

Great location for those wishing to partake in the 'Big Apple experience' all the major retail districts are just a short cab ride away and of course, Soho, Nolita etc are right on the door step and only a short stroll away. Rooms are clean, the beds 'amazing' and the staff are incredibly helpful and attentive, use concierge to get you in all the best places. Bar area is stylish. Soho Grand has a small but well equipped gym.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business